New Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

Okay a lot of new things for me. First new thread, first upload of pictures, and first time doing a contest. Why you might ask? Well this group has done an awful lot for me and I thought I was due to at least try and give back a little.
We have lots of contests in earlier in the year, around birthday time, but I thought why not celebrate the 1/2 birthday as well with a contest. As a wood species collector I try to trade for new species when ever possible. Not too long ago I traded with someone and they told me that they didn't care what I sent them as long as it wasn't domestic because most of them are so plain. I thought to myself, how wrong could one be. So this contest is in response to that statement.
Below (hopefully) are 4 pictures with a total of 20 blanks. All these blanks were acquired (and I believe somewhat commonly found) on the continent of North America with some also from islands associated with the continent. Your task, if you so choose to participate, is to identify all the blanks. Either the first person to identify them all correctly or the person with the most correct at the end of the month, will recieve all the blanks.
As time goes along, because of my poor photography skills, I'll provide hints to help you out. I'll provide some hints in the open forum and (if I can figure it out) some hints just for those that are participating. Since I'm new to this I'm sure I've forgotten something so please don't be afraid to ask questions in regards to the contest and not what the name of the blanks:wink:. I hope you enjoy this at least as half as much as I enjoy this group. Bob I.

Attachments

• contest1a.jpg
    contest1a.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 393
  • contest2a.jpg
    contest2a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 336
  • contest3a.jpg
    contest3a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 339
  • contest4a.jpg
    contest4a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 289

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Cool idea,one question right of the bat. Do we only get one guess at it or are we going to be told of wrong answers allowing further attempts?

1080Wayne

Bob Agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts re our native woods . As to operation of contest : If run exactly as the last one , it becomes a mathematical certainty that someone will get them all correct , whether they know the woods or not . Nothing the matter with that , the fastest wins the race . If you want the contest to reflect knowledge of the woods , you might want to consider keeping the accuracy of an individuals guesses for his eyes only . Are the guesses to be posted , or are they e-mailed to you for your eyes only ? Are you expecting oak as a guess , or do you want Blue oak ? If you survive this without too many scars and want to repeat it some time in the future , I would be happy to collaborate . I will participate , although I`ll be without internet access for a few days .
Wayne

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Bob Agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts re our native woods . As to operation of contest : If run exactly as the last one , it becomes a mathematical certainty that someone will get them all correct , whether they know the woods or not . Nothing the matter with that , the fastest wins the race . If you want the contest to reflect knowledge of the woods , you might want to consider keeping the accuracy of an individuals guesses for his eyes only . Are the guesses to be posted , or are they e-mailed to you for your eyes only ? Are you expecting oak as a guess , or do you want Blue oak ? If you survive this without too many scars and want to repeat it some time in the future , I would be happy to collaborate . I will participate , although I`ll be without internet access for a few days .
Wayne
Well put!!!:wink:

bobskio2003

Well since I want this to be a learning opportunity for all I'd prefer everyone to put their guesses here and I'll try to keep everyone updated as to how many you have right. You can guess as many times as you like but I'll probably respond only every couple of days with the number you have right. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible (although dark wood/ light wood are just too simple - even considering the source) so I'm not looking for a particular variety but more the species (although I was tempted with throwing in an oak species - hint no oak). I did also forget to mention that the blanks have been coated with BLO to try and bring out some color/grain. Don't be afraid to expand out the pictures because the thumbnails don't really show the details. Have fun, learn something, and give it a try. Bob I.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I want a prize for being 1st to try even if I get them all wrong(most likely). :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
1 Ironwood
2 Eastern Red Cedar
3 Ironwood
4 Macadamia
5 Buckeye
6 Osage Orange
7 Claro Walnut
8 Canarywood
9 Choke Cherry
10 American Walnut
11 Pear
12 Black Walnut
13 Birdseye Maple
14 Curly Maple
15 Texas Ebony
16 Birdseye(Knotty) Pine
17 Yew
18 Sumac
19 Maple Burl(Big Leaf)
20 Mesquite

bobskio2003

Well you have one in the correct spot and since this thread is going a little slow, I'll let you know that you have one other species correct and a couple of half correct. Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I was really hoping more would jump in. I guess at this rate you'll be the one with the most correct at the end of the month. Bob I.

JerrySambrook

Hey are my attempts:
1) Koa
2) Red Cedar
3) Ain't got a clue
4 Sycamore
5) Live Oak
6) Still Ain't got a Clue
7) Claro Walnut
8) Whoda thunk you found some of that? (I almost suspected Lignum vitae)
9) Ditto six
10) Black Walnut
11) Blue Wahoo (sp?)
12) Somting that can be made into a nice pen (except by me)
13 Birdseye pine
14) Curly Ash
15) Another piece that can make some beautiful dust while creating another pen (especially by Neil or Charlie)
16) Big Leaf Maple
17) Can you guess my answer (Hint, same as 15)
18 Buckeye
19 Amboynia
20 I don't know another way to say I don't know

Thanks for this fun tempting trivia

p.s. hope some of my sarcasm at myself is not offensive

By the way Bob, Where might Fulton be? I live in Western Mass, and go to Colonie (North of Albany) quite often.
Maybe meet for a coffee sometime?

Sincerely
Jerry

Last edited:

bobskio2003

Jerry you have one in the right spot as well and one and a half other species correct. One hint I can provide is that Central America is part of the North American continent (if I remember my geography correctly).
Fulton is not too far from the south eastern corner of Lake Ontario. I'm about 2 and a half hours away from Colonie but if you are ever up my way (and I'm around) I'm always open for visits and trading stories. Bob I.

jleiwig

1. No clue
2. eastern red cedar
3. ironwood
4. lacewood
5. buckeye
6. osage orange
7. black walnut
8. poplar
9. no clue
10. no clue
11. pear
12 no clue
13 birdseye maple
14. curly maple
15. no clue
16. no clue
17. no clue
18. hackberry
19. no clue
20. koa?

I'm no wood expert, so these are just quick guesses.

jleiwig

That shows Central America as part of N. America. C. America is Mexico down to Panama

Central America is a region, North America is a continent. They only recognize north and south America as far as continents go in my geography book. :confused:

I didn't realize that bob had said the word continent, so he is correct in his posting and I was wrong. :biggrin: I need to learn to read today!

bobskio2003

Justin you're in the lead with two in the correct place. Unfortunately those are the only two species you have correct in the whole list. I made this a little challenging in that many of the blanks aren't the species what you'd expect but nothing is all that uncommon.

Munsterlander

I'm surprised at "only 1" as well. Gotta be number 6 (osage orange), but I was sure you had 14 (curly maple) as well, and 2 does look like cedar. Also would have guessed buckeye on 5, though depending on how good the color is represented it (or 18) could be grapefruit. 4 looks like quartersawn sycamore to me. fun idea, though. I can't see a couple of them well enough to make a guess (e.g., 1 & 3).

ok, including central america, 15 looks like cocobolo...

Last edited:

jleiwig

Justin you're in the lead with two in the correct place. Unfortunately those are the only two species you have correct in the whole list. I made this a little challenging in that many of the blanks aren't the species what you'd expect but nothing is all that uncommon.

Pretty good for pulling random names out of the air. Looks dark..walnut! light..maple! :biggrin:

bobskio2003

There are no repeats. I'll try to provide a few more hints. Many of the blanks darkened because of the BLO. 1 has a purplish cast, 3 a deep deep red cast, 11 a bluish cast, and 15 an orangish cast. 12 darkened down quite a bit because of the BLO and in a natural state is reddish. I wish I could take better pictures but no matter how I tried nothing seemed to either show natural colors or grain. And one last hint just because there are so many different varieties I didn't include any maples or oaks. More hints to come in the future.

jleiwig

There are no repeats. I'll try to provide a few more hints. Many of the blanks darkened because of the BLO. 1 has a purplish cast, 3 a deep deep red cast, 11 a bluish cast, and 15 an orangish cast. 12 darkened down quite a bit because of the BLO and in a natural state is reddish. I wish I could take better pictures but no matter how I tried nothing seemed to either show natural colors or grain. And one last hint just because there are so many different varieties I didn't include any maples or oaks. More hints to come in the future.

Do we get to guess again?

1080Wayne

1 ?
2 E red cedar
3 ?
4 American beech
5 ?
6 American smoketree
7 Black walnut
8 Hickory
9 Lilac
10 Russian olive
11 Butternut
12 Redwood
13 Yellow cypress
14 ?
15 Cocobolo
16 ?
17 Caragana
18 ?
19 ?
20 Desert ironwood

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Guess #2
1 Ironwood
2 Eastern Red Cedar
3 Ironwood
4 Leopardwood
5 Buckeye
6 Osage Orange
7 Black Walnut
8 Canarywood
11 Pear
13 Birdseye Maple
14 Tiger Birch
15 Cocobolo
16 Maple Burl(Big Leaf)
17 Yew
19 Russian Olive Burl
20 Koa

bad

OK, here's my guess:
1 Ironwood
2 Eastern Red Cedar
3 Ironwood
7 Black walnut
9 American beech
11 Pear
13 Birdseye Maple
14 Curly Maple
15 Cocobolo
17 Caragana
20 Desert ironwood

mtgrizzly52

First of all Bob, great contest. I know absolutely anything about most hardwoods, especially to id them from photos, but I found some great resources to use to make my guesses and here they are.
1. purpleheart
2. Red Cedar
3. Yah Right! *LOL*
4. Leopard/Lacewood (both the same thing I found out)
5. (looks familiar, but???)
6. American Smoketree
7. Walnut (I think specifically black walnut)
8. Hickory
9. Lilac
10. Olivewood
11. Butternut
12. Redwood
13. (looks familar???)
14. (I'd say curly maple, but you said there is not oak or maple so I'm not sure)
15. Cocobolo
16. Black Ash Burl (This looks identical to a piece of BAB I used on a Wall Street II pen)
17. Desert Ironwood
18. (Got Me????)
19. (Looks like birdseye maple to me, but again no maple or oak according to your hints)
20. Mesquite

Please say I got at least one right! *LOL*

mtgrizzly52

bobskio2003

Mtgrizzly, you got 4 correct but the rest aren't even on the list. Since it seems everyone is finding this extremely challenging let me see if I can make this a little easier by given you the first initial (in no particular order - hey I got to have some fun) of what I believe is their most common name. I'm not going to even throw you off more but adding initials for curly, burl, or any of the other grain descriptors. Here you go; P, M, BM, PI, R, W, B, S, A, P, C, MN, C, M, C, J, H, CR, L, CC. One with two initials means it is usually two words. Remember none of the 'M's stand for Maple. Hope this helps. Bob

BigRob777

I don't do much with local stuff, but here's a try:
1. aromatic cedar
2. juniper
3. aromatic cedar
4. macadamia
5. norfolk pine
6. sumac
7. walnut
8. sumac
9. apple
10. bocote
11. ohia
12. claro walnut
13. yellow cedar
14. hickory
15. cocobolo
16. cherry burl
17. poison ivy
18. buckeye
19. oak burl
20. redwood

I know most of these are off, but it was worth a try.
Rob

ESwindell

Ok lets try this:
1-Redwood
2-Huisache/ Cat Claw
3-White Pine
4-Macadamia Nut
5-Poison Ivy
6-Locust
7-Walnut
8-Caragana
9-Cherry
10-Pistachio
11-Blue Mahoe
12-Manzanita
13-Texas Laurel
14-Ash
15-Camatillo Rosewood
16-Smoke bush
17-Juniper
18-Hackberry
19-Basswood
20-Cocobolo

POISON IVY????
God Bless

bobskio2003

Less than a week to go on this. I really thought more people would try to get in on the fun. I supplied all the answers in the addendum so how hard can it be. Bob

Top Bottom