I think this is the right place?? Labels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

Ok, I am donating a couple of pens for a luekemia benefit. A generous member here gave me the labels I needed, but I dont know how to attach them and then finish. I am puting the labels on white holly. I have the holly all sanded down nice and smooth. What do I do next? After the label is attached, what are the steps for finishing.

He did spray the labels with lacquer before he shipped them to me.

Please help..

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
Are they waterslide? Just wet, apply, and let dry overnight. Then apply a topcoat of CA or any of your choice.

USAFVET98

Im not sure. If I look at the label as is, it is not inverted. It is printed the right way so if I put it face down on the pen, it will be backwards.

DozerMite

Banned
It is most likely a WS decal rather than a label. If you soak it in some water for a few seconds, it will slide off the backing. Just slide it off the backing right onto your pen. It's best to dampen the pen before applying so the decal can move a bit. It will stick in place pretty easy, so get it close to where you want it when you slide it on.

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
I sent the labels.

They are the Testors Decals.

Brian, sand your blanks to the final grit, clean, then put on a coat of CA Glue to finish.

Let this dry for at least a day.

I take the mandrel (blanks still attached) off the lathe and work at the dining room table here...

Then take the decals off the paper I sent them on, and soak them in water. This will loosen them from their paper backing. You can tell they are ready when the edges start to peel away from the paper.

Apply them to the pen body as you see fit. Get out as much if not all of the trapped air behind the decal.

Once the decal is on, let it dry for at least another day.

Once it has "rested" put the mandrel back on the lathe and put a thin coat of CA glue over the entire pen, decal included. I don't use Accelerator- let the CA dry naturally, which is usually pretty darn quick anyway!

Once this first post decal CA dries, then finish as you see fit. I typically do 5-6 coats of thin CA, then MM to 12000, then a little Plasti-X.

Good luck!

-Doug

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
Hey no sweat!

Do you still have the link I sent you?

Label Casting

Just my chance to return the help to a member here. I've learned TONS from the IAP in general...

Post a pix when you get done, or even better, if you want to take some pix and build a post in the Library...

-Doug

Last edited:
Top Bottom