Closed End Pen Mandrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MattDaddy

I have been thinking about giving the closed end pen a shot. So many of you are making some stunning pieces. Where are you getting your mandrels for these? I see some on AZ Silhouette, but was wondering if there are any plans for making your own, or a way to not have to buy a separate mandrel for each style. If not, where/who is the best place to get them?

p.s. You guys are making me feel bad...just when I think I might be getting good at this, I look at your stuff and I realize how much room there is to grow :crying:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

you can get the mandrels from arizona silleoute. I bought some and have made some closed end gents and jr gents. It's actually pretty easy with the mandrels. Not sure what all sizes they have but you can check their website. The don't give them away though. If i recall correctly they were a little over $20 each.

BigShed

you can get the mandrels from arizona silleoute. I bought some and have made some closed end gents and jr gents. It's actually pretty easy with the mandrels. Not sure what all sizes they have but you can check their website. The don't give them away though. If i recall correctly they were a little over $20 each.

I suppose everything in life is relative. I own 2 of the AS closed end mandrels and their quality is superb.
Having just made one on my own metal lathe, I would have to say that they are VERY reasonably priced, particularly taking in to account that when you buy 2 of them you get a free DVD on how to turn closed end pens.

MattDaddy

I think I agree. After reading Skiprat's very good and detailed instructions, I think the 20 bucks would be well worth the spend.

workinforwood

I started with using just a regular mandrel like Don says. You can buy just the 7mm AZ mandrel and make pilot shafts for bigger pens. You can make the Steve Jackson style mandrel. All systems work fine. With the AZ, be sure not to over tighten the mandrel or you'll crack your pen from the inside out.

cnirenberg

Matt,
Ben (davinci27) has a great thread on how he has modified his 7mm closed end mandrel that Jeff is referring to. Essentially he took the stock AS 7MM mandrel and made custom shims. It's worth the time to look this one up. Jeff is absolutly correct about overtigtening. Been there its no fun.

Top Bottom