New addition to my shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

A few weeks ago on a rainy Saturday afternoon, I decided to make a storage bin for my turning blanks. One scrape piece of plywood and two hours later I had it mounted to my shop wall. Last week I noticed some bits of moss and grass on the bench top under my new turning blank bin. It was then that I noticed more bits sticking out of one of the bins. I had to get on a chair to see the birds nest. Today, I checked again, and it looks like I'm going to have 5 additions to my shop.

Attachments

• bin.jpg
    bin.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 406
  • nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You built this in two hours ? It would take me two DAYS to lay it out ! That's a very nice bin . Now , is your shop outdoors ? I can't believe the things I'm STILL learning here on the IAP . :good:

Rmartin

You built this in two hours ? It would take me two DAYS to lay it out ! That's a very nice bin .

Thanks, yeah about 2 hours, maybe less. It's really just a collection of boxes held together at an angle with a 1 x 2 on each side. I did have to cut a beveled piece to be able to screw it to the wall. I may add some trim to dress it up, but for now, it serves mine and the birds purposes.

Now , is your shop outdoors ?

My shop is behind my house in a 100 year old barn/stables which I have been converting into a wookshop. I'm kinda out in the country, locks and such are not really needed, so I've framed a double door opening in the back, but I haven't added the doors yet.:biggrin:

nava1uni

I really like the bin and I like that you are leaving the bird's nest alone and giving the bird the opportunity to raise its young. The eggs are beautiful, what kind of bird made this nest.
It would take me longer then 2 days to make the bins. You do nice work.

cnirenberg

Nice storage bin. No wonder that bird decided to nest there. Probably thought it was a condo or something. Says a lot for your craftsmanship.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks, yeah about 2 hours, maybe less. It's really just a collection of boxes held together at an angle with a 1 x 2 on each side. I did have to cut a beveled piece to be able to screw it to the wall. I may add some trim to dress it up, but for now, it serves mine and the birds purposes.

My shop is behind my house in a 100 year old barn/stables which I have been converting into a wookshop. I'm kinda out in the country, locks and such are not really needed, so I've framed a double door opening in the back, but I haven't added the doors yet.:biggrin:

I like that ! Converting a horse barn to a shop . You got snakes out there ? Some eat bird eggs . :eek: I've been told though , they don't like horse manure . Don't know if it's true . Anyway , that's a nice bin . Good job !

Rmartin

I would need two of those for all my blanks, do you have a measured drawing?

No, I didn't make a drawing, but maybe some pictures from the side will show how simple this is. Remember, this is unfinished, I'm almost embarassed to show this before I've added the trim work.

One close-up, one full side and one the way it looked on my shop table as I put it together.

Attachments

• binupclose.jpg
    binupclose.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 112
  • binside.jpg
    binside.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 99
  • binflat.jpg
    binflat.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 99

Fred

I think maybe Cav is still a bit busy trying to decide what species of fowl that bird is. :eek:

Very nice of the bird to allow you to use the condo to keep your stock off the snake infested floor. Be sure to make friends with the mama bird by bringing her and the babies some worms and bugs everyday! :present:

Pretty soon and you will have the fowl flocking to your condo and you will have to move the blanks yet again.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I love your nest boxes! And they've got their first family already moved in. Way cool! When fall comes, you can use those cubbies for blanks. ;-)

It was then that I noticed more bits sticking out of one of the bins. I had to get on a chair to see the birds nest. Today, I checked again, and it looks like I'm going to have 5 additions to my shop.

Hopefully they won't be judging your turning work as the little birdy in my shop did... I had a little bowl sitting on the work bench, she landed on the edge of it and promptly passed judgement on the bowl... :eek:

Fred

Chuck ... maybe that was it's way of letting you know it's newly found feed bowl was completely empty I mean they communicate with us in the only way then can sometimes and some words just aren't clearly spoken in all bird languages.

ldb2000

Chuck ... maybe that was it's way of letting you know it's newly found feed bowl was completely empty I mean they communicate with us in the only way then can sometimes and some words just aren't clearly spoken in all bird languages.

I think Fred is on to something here . The bird wasn't saying your bowl is s..t , it was saying "See , the bowls empty and now so am I .... Feed me!!":biggrin:

Top Bottom