Casting pot size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ESwindell

Hi all,
I am planning on building a pot for casting. I know that most everyone uses the 2.5 gal pot from HF. I am wondering if anyone has ever made one with a 5 gal. pot. I was also wondering what others thoughts are about a pot this size. I am thinking that with a larger pot I would also be able to cast/stabilize larger pieces i.e. vases and bowls. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
God Bless,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I don't see why it wouldn't work .. I just never saw a 5 gallon pot. I'm sure they're
out there somewhere though.
Post pics when you get one set up!

S

spiritwoodturner

Companies like Binks make them, but unless you find them used you'll pay for them. I saw one several months ago on my local Craigslist for around 250.

Good Luck!
Dale

one of the places I deliver to is a highway maintinence place. the do the road striping. they have got a few pots that are quite large. I have been trying to get their top dog to cut me a deal on one of the older ones. if I get him him solid on a price, I'll post it.

jhs494

Oversize Vacuum/Pressure pot

I made a vacuum/pressure pot using an old propane tank that I could not get filled without replacing the valve. I simply cut the bottom off, welded on two flanges and added the fittings on the top which is now the bottom.

I had to paint the inside of the tank. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of that awful propane smell.
1_Oversize_pressure_pot.jpg

W3DRM

Dang, and I just junked three of those old style propane tanks because no one wanted them!!! :eek:

BTW, Harbor Freight has their pressure paint pots on sale for $65 at our local Carson City, NV store.

I made a vacuum/pressure pot using an old propane tank that I could not get filled without replacing the valve. I simply cut the bottom off, welded on two flanges and added the fittings on the top which is now the bottom.

I had to paint the inside of the tank. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of that awful propane smell.
1_Oversize_pressure_pot.jpg

I see the flange, but how do you lock the top to the pot? Screws?

jhs494

I see the flange, but how do you lock the top to the pot? Screws?

There is an upper and lower flange. I drilled clearance holes in the upper flange and drilled and tapped the lower flange. I made my own winged bolts that can be also tightened with a wrench(not in the pic) I also cut a large rubber gasket out of a sheet of rubber I had.

1_lid_off.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom