Chapter Collaboration Contest (3C's)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I received a few emails and PM's confirming that their local IAP chapter will be submitting an entry for the 3C's contest.

I encourage everyone to post here if your Chapter will be competing.

Raise your banner's!!!

Be recognized!!!

Show pride!!!

:cool: :biggrin:

And the winners are:

First Place - #6 Northern/Central California Chapter

Second Place - #1 Northern Virginia Chapter

Third Place - #3 Michigan Chapter

Prizes will be posted later and winners will be contacted via email as well.

CONGRATULATIONS to the Winners and Thanks to all the participants!!!

Last edited:

Dario

I was asked if using a state (flag/map/etc) as a theme is grounds for disqualification.

My answer is...
<> IF there is more than 1 (2 or more) chapters for that state then it is okay.
<> IF there is only one chapter for that state then it is considered as identifying mark for that chapter and thus cannot be used.

If you have other questions...please feel free to send me a PM.

Note that posting it here might make your idea identifying to your entry so please refrain from doing that.

We want our JUDGES to be blind as much as possible so your entry will be judged as fairly as possible.

I believe our judges have impeccable integrity but we don't want to give anyone grounds to question their decisions later.

Thank you.

Last edited:

MikeInMo

SW MO is planning to submit also, particularly if we can figure out how to turn and finish a pen via e-mail. We are somewhat geographically diverse.

Dario

From this thread...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41286&highlight=collaboration

I am re-posting the the content here as well.

Please note the deadline guys!!!

========================================================

This is to give the local chapters as early a warning as possible for the Chapter Collaboration Contest.

The Contest Master for this contest is Dario. Any questions, suggestions, and comments as to this contest should be directed by PM to Dario.

Please read and follow the rules for this contest, and GOOD LUCK!

CHAPTER COLLABORATION CONTEST RULES

1. This is a "Chapter Collaboration Contest" (3C'S) and as such, only IAP chapters can join/compete. Other members are encouraged to form new local IAP chapters so they can participate.

2. What makes an entry "collaborative"? This is by honor system. Since some clubs/chapters are small...
...a minimum of 2 physically involved in the creation of the entry will be required.
It is strongly encouraged to get as many club members to participate as much as possible. Participation doesn't have to be physical; it could be sharing of ideas, design elements, etc. For example, a new/innovative cast blank can be one member's contribution to the collaboration.
3. Entry could be any writing instrument. Any kit can be used or it can be kit-less. It can be a pen, a boxed pen, or a desk set. Use your imagination; use anything but only the kit can be pre-fabricated. (Make your own box.)

4. Judging will be by un-retouched (cropped okay) photos sent to William Cavanaugh, wdcav1952. (Please request email address by PM.) A minimum of 4 photos are required. Photos must show the entirety (all sides) of the pen clearly. The photos will be sent to the judges as anonymous entries.
Photos must be big enough to show the pen...preferably bigger than actual size.
Photo quality & presentation will be given consideration by the judges.
NO identifying logo, name, etc. will be allowed to be seen on the entry. Not following this rule will result in disqualification of the entry.

5. Entry submission deadline is 12:00 midnight Eastern Time Monday, February 23 via email to William.

6. Winners will be selected by a panel of highly respected, but anonymous, judges.

7. Winners will be announced on Thursday, Feb. 26.

Dario

Less than a week guys!!!

I hope your entries are done (or close to) by now.

Note that you can submit the photos to William (Cav) sooner.

Thanks!

marcruby

4. Judging will be by un-retouched (cropped okay) photos sent to William Cavanaugh, wdcav1952. (Please request email address by PM.) A minimum of 4 photos are required. Photos must show the entirety (all sides) of the pen clearly. The photos will be sent to the judges as anonymous entries.
Photos must be big enough to show the pen...preferably bigger than actual size.
Photo quality & presentation will be given consideration by the judges.

What does unretouched mean? I can have settings on my camera that will modify the shot's color balance, contrast, etc as I take the picture. Is that retouching? Should I turn off the camera's noise reduction? The days it's hard to produce a picture that wouldn't be considered retouched 10 years ago.

Marc

Dario

Just posting a PMed question and answer below.

=========================================
Hi,

Description/explanation is welcome and encouraged...just avoid naming names or anything that will tie your chapter to it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Dario

What kind of description or explanation will be allowed to be provided with our submission? The appreciation of the collaboration may need to be explained to receive the full understanding of the details and work involved. A picture says 1000 words, but they may not be the rught ones.

Dario

What does unretouched mean? I can have settings on my camera that will modify the shot's color balance, contrast, etc as I take the picture. Is that retouching? Should I turn off the camera's noise reduction? The days it's hard to produce a picture that wouldn't be considered retouched 10 years ago.

Marc

Marc,

It is encouraged that the pen submitted show as close to actual as possible. Retouching is the after photo processing and cleaning of background or any "imperfections" , etc.

If there is anything needed to explain that the photo missed or misrepresents, please add a narrative with it.

Hope this helps.

marcruby

NO identifying logo, name, etc. will be allowed to be seen on the entry. Not following this rule will result in disqualification of the entry.

Now how about the wee logo on an FP nib. I'm assuming that's NOT banned. But I'd sure like a statement that that is the case.

Just being careful,

Marc

Dario

Now how about the wee logo on an FP nib. I'm assuming that's NOT banned. But I'd sure like a statement that that is the case.

Just being careful,

Marc

Marc,

You obviously don't know us well yet :wink:. I think and believe we are very reasonable and all the rule reference is to AVOID IDENTIFYING an entry to a CHAPTER so that judging will be as FAIR as possible.

FYI, I am not a lawyer and hate "word technicality twisters" (not all lawyers are).

If the logo on the nib is the chapter logo (custom made :eek:)...yes it will be grounds for disqualification. :wink:

Let's relax and keep this fun guys!!! :bananen_smilies046:

marcruby

Marc,
You obviously don't know us well yet :wink:. I think and believe we are very reasonable and all the rule reference is to AVOID IDENTIFYING an entry to a CHAPTER so that judging will be as FAIR as possible.

Actually I think almost all of you really are reasonable people. I simply want to make sure us Michiganders get to bask in the sun. >:p

Marc

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
5. Entry submission deadline is 12:00 midnight Eastern Time Monday, February 23 via email to William.

OK, I've always had problems with this. Is 12:00 midnight Monday the 23rd the last minute of Sunday or Monday? ie mail by Sunday afternoon or Monday afternoon? :confused:

11:59pm and 12:01am are so much easier to understand... :biggrin:

Dario

OK, I've always had problems with this. Is 12:00 midnight Monday the 23rd the last minute of Sunday or Monday? ie mail by Sunday afternoon or Monday afternoon? :confused:

11:59pm and 12:01am are so much easier to understand... :biggrin:

A minute after 11:59 pm Monday. Clearer? :tongue:

Dario

We received 7 wonderful entries and our judges are deliberating now...

Just a quick thank you to all the participants. We know that you were given a very short notice but you still came through.

Great job everyone!!!

S

spiritwoodturner

I'd love to have a local chapter, but we're a bit spread out here in Colorado. I doubt we could get more than 2 people together. That's not a chapter. More like a sentence.

Dale

chapter vs. sentence

A chapter is a longer sentence without someone to share it with. It is still amazing how much closer we seem, in Michigan, even though many of us are also far apart. We've only met once as a group but Outside the group several of us have met as we live closer to each other. The additional dialog has been phenominal. We are planning meetings on a quarterly basis but the communication in between is nearly daily with some of us. Of course this colaboration is helping so much.
Git 'er done!

I'd love to have a local chapter, but we're a bit spread out here in Colorado. I doubt we could get more than 2 people together. That's not a chapter. More like a sentence.

Dale

Last edited:

markgum

hmmm.... must be figurin' out how to tell the others they didn't hold a chance to the winning pen from NorCenCal... :biggrin:
I guess it is still early Thursday in Hawaii....:confused:

Top Bottom