Slimline Fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

So here I am posting to SOYP again. This is my favorite forum. I love seeing what folks are making, and I love getting new ideas from comments people leave about the pens I've made.

I volunteered to help out with the CSUSA turning demo at the Atlanta Wood Show. Kirk said they would be making slimlines, and I thought it might be fun to make a few different types of pens all using the basic slimline kit. Here are the 4 I've made so far. I'm also going to make a couple of euro style pens using the slimline kit.

1. Masur Birch and Black Walnut - high offset twist
2. Aboyna Burl and Zircote - low offset twist
3. Cherry - recessed finial and clip with a twist nib
4. Cocobolo - twist nib

Attachments

• slimlines.jpg
    slimlines.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 448
  • masaur.jpg
    masaur.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 260
  • aboyna.jpg
    aboyna.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 283
  • cherry.jpg
    cherry.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 289
  • coco.jpg
    coco.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

My slimlines experience has been restricted to standard two piece pens so i've got to ask, how you do the one piece with a twist nib?
Excuse my ignorance but I can't see how its done.
Lovely looking pens as well as clever use of a very standard kit.
regards, Bill

davinci27

Here's another post where I describe how I did this.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=756420&postcount=8

I mention in the post about filing down the ridges on the transmission. I did that for these 2 pens, and it works really just takes a couple of quick passes on each transmission and they slide in and out without issues.

Here's an another picture of the 2 twist nibs with the transmissions out

Attachments

• twistnibs.jpg
    twistnibs.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 309

cruizer00

twist nib

I tried your twist nib design, I like it , think I'll do some more. thanks for the info. sorry for the lousy pic.

Attachments

• Afzylia burl 002.jpg
    Afzylia burl 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 163

davinci27

Mike looks good. I'm getting ready to make another 4 or 5 everybody I show the pen to really likes it. I've got a buddy who loves pens. he buys 4 or 5 everytime we get together. I sent him a pic and he told me to just box it up and ship it to him.

rick_lindsey

Very nice looking pens! I've been planning to play around with slimlines, but you've given me more ideas :). Looking at your first picture I was wondering how you got the split to disappear... wasn't until I read further that I realized you had moved the split all the way to the nib!

Out of curiosity, how do you handle the low/high splits? Does the brass stick out of one barrel and into the other or somesuch?

thanks!

-Rick

davinci27

Rick,

Yep the brass just sticks out of one end. Here's a pic. When I'm actually turning the pens, I put the pieces together on the mandrel. and when I am just about to size, I stop and twist the top and bottom 180 degrees. I don't separate the 2 pieces until they are ready to finish. This gives me nice even joints.

I've had several folks ask about these pens, so I was thinking of doing a couple of tutorials on how I did them.

One last thing, I've been talking to Cav about possibly starting a slimline challenge. The idea would be to find new ways to use the slimline kit. As soon as we have the specifics ironed out, I'll be posting a thread looking for folks interested in joining.

Thanks
Ben

Attachments

• IMGP2080.jpg
    IMGP2080.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom