Closed End #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

Closed End #2 with Finial

--Edit
Added a custom finial. It looks so much better I thought I'd add a photo. This is the third finial I've done and it makes such a difference on the pens. I can't see me doing any more gents without adding the custom finial.

--End Edit

I picked up a piece of afzelia burl at the Geogia chapter meeting this past weekend, and thought it would make for a good closed end pen. Here's my second attempt at a closed end. The kit is a Copper Jr Gent II and the finish is CA. Comments always welcome.

Attachments

• closed2.jpg
    closed2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 286
  • closed2-2.jpg
    closed2-2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 238
  • finial.jpg
    finial.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Great looking pen!
I've still to take the plunge with closed end but if I come close to yours ben I'll be very happy.
Regards, Bill

Skye

Man, that's a nice looking pen and I don't even mind the copper with that wood.

I'd suggest you look into the custom finial option though for that added touch.

davinci27

Thanks everybody. I'm having so much fun with these pens.

Cav - I'd love to sell it for a premium, I just need to find somebody who wants to buy it at a premium. I haven't really started selling many pens so I don't have any clientele yet.

Skye - I was going to put a custom finial on it, but I finished this pen along with several Christmas presents at about 1:00 this morning. I didn't really feel like switching the jaws on my chuck so I went to bed. I'll probably make a finial sometime over the next day or so.

Ben

cnirenberg

Ben,
Sweet looking pen. I love the wood. I printed out your post on the closed end mandrel. Great idea. I just finished up a closed end gent that has been haunting me for the last month. I wanted to mimick the closed end pens (cap and barrel, no clip) that have been shared. I ended up using a modified concrete anchor 1/2" I think for the cap portion. Wasn't a stight as I would have liked but worked with light cuts.

davinci27

Cris - I've actually improved on the shim idea. I cut them a little shorter, and instead of putting the bushing on backwards, I go ahead and put it in the tube. This keeps the end at the hardware closer to the bushing and requires less sanding afterwards. I need to hop over and update the other thread.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Thanks everybody. I'm having so much fun with these pens.

Cav - I'd love to sell it for a premium, I just need to find somebody who wants to buy it at a premium. I haven't really started selling many pens so I don't have any clientele yet.

Skye - I was going to put a custom finial on it, but I finished this pen along with several Christmas presents at about 1:00 this morning. I didn't really feel like switching the jaws on my chuck so I went to bed. I'll probably make a finial sometime over the next day or so.

Ben

Ben, I know this wealthy professor that teaches at Macon. His name is Stram or something like that. :biggrin:

Seriously, I know the problem. It is hard around here to sell expensive pens.

Top Bottom