Some boxes and pen sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Made a couple sets with boxes for some folks.

First some friends set up a cheese shop 5 years ago so I made a set of pens and a cheese knife with wood from a wine barrel stave. Made a box for the set from Jatoba, Oak and Purpleheart.

Also made a set of Fishers of Men from BOW for a group of Nuns who live a block away from my family in California. The case is Jatoba and Purpleheart.

Attachments

• Cest Cheese Closed.jpg
    Cest Cheese Closed.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Cest Cheese Open.jpg
    Cest Cheese Open.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Casa de Maria.jpg
    Casa de Maria.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 230

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Do you groove and flock the trays yourself. If so, how does the whole flocking process go for you?

BTW, very nice boxes!

Thanks,

I did groove and flock the trays and found it fairly easy.

I took the easy way out on the grooves and used a router table, but they would have been almost as easy with a carving gouge.

This was my first attempt at flocking, and that went easily as well. The key was to get the glue evenly spread.

I practiced applying the undercoat adhesive and using the sliding tube sprayer on a piece of scrap wood before trying the real thing.

Some things I might try next time as you can sort of see the grain in the poplar tray;
1) Put a second coat of shellac on before applying the glue.
2) Maybe use a bit more glue.
3) Use a more even looking / less absorbant hardwood for the tray

I am not totally sure that completely eliminating the slight appearance of grain below the flocking would actually be better.

I found that the glue tended to puddle a bit in the grooves.

Top Bottom