Newbie: a couple of my first pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

I'm completely new at this. I'd never turned anything prior to Monday. Thanks to the folks here, I think my pens are turning out alright, so I thought I'd post a couple of photos and say thanks everybody.

The first pen is made with pre-cut and drilled rosewood blanks. It's a slimeline kit and has a shellawax finish.

The second pen is made from a piece of blackgum I cut from a fallen tree. It's the first pen I've turned from a raw blank. It uses a slimline kit. It is also my first attempt at a CA finish. It turned out better than I expected, but I'm sure it will look better once I get some MM to buff it to a higher shine.

Attachments

• pen3-rosewood.jpg
    pen3-rosewood.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 297
  • pen4-blackgum.jpg
    pen4-blackgum.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

looks like you are off to a great start. hold on to these and compare them to your pens in a year. Now go and get a second job to pay for the pen habit.

bitshird

Excelent start, I like the profiles, the fit looks very good and hard to tell, but the finish looks decent, I 'd say you are on your way.
Oh by the way, Welcome to the addiction.

ldb2000

Excellent first pens . Nice shape and your fit and finish are spot on . Now that you are hooked it's time to mortgage the house and pawn your wifes wedding ring to buy more kits and wood and tools and supplies and .... :biggrin:

Scott

Nice job! I particularly like the shape you got on the rosewood one. For a first try at a CA finish, the other one looks great! Keep going - this is a wonderful start!

Scott.

Top Bottom