Any geocachers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

Yeah, I'm still alive and have been trying to keep up on my reading around here. It's just cooled off enough recently to get back out into the shop. I got a few bowls (almost) done last weekend.

Since it has cooled off a little my wife and I have also started to get outdoors a bit and we are going to start geocaching. I was just wondering if anyone here also does it.
If you don't have any idea what it is, go to www.geocaching.com and check it out. Seems like some fun and a little incentive to get out hiking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

I've never done it, but it looks interesting upon reading it. I could see having fun with a penturners geocache hunt where pen blanks are placed in them. Sort of an extreme blank swap. [:D]

txbob

Been enjoying it for several years. I use a Garmin III and a Garmin 76. Good way to get outside and get a little exercise.

A good source for Garmin products is http://www.tvnav.com/ He's a small one man dealer like several of the guys here, with very good service and prices. No connection, just a happy customer.

txbob <-- Will be back in Texas tomorrow!!

dubdrvrkev

I ended up getting the Magellan Explorist 400. I got a pretty good deal on ebay and it came with the Mapsend Topo USA software. I think that should be a pretty good starting GPS and hopefully I'll get a few years out of it.
It would be fun to do a travel bug with a blank or a pen to try to get it from one person to another.

Dario

Kevin,

I tried it a bit...school sponsored, and it sure is fun. They provided basic tutorial and the equipment. I surely want to try it again someday.

angboy

There are definitely some cachers on this site[:)]. I've started doing some, and my parents (including buzzb, my dad) are avid cachers. My sister, who mainly just lurks here, also does caching quite a bit. And I know that Fritz McCorkle has been known to go caching on occasion.

Woodbutcher68

I've been doing it for three years. My Napa Valley Bound Travel Bug is a bottle stopper I turned. (One guy saw it and bought 8 BOW stoppers from me!)I have used some other wood items I made as trade items. Good way to find spalted wood!

fritzmccorkle

I do Geocaching. my daughter loves it. we have found 149 now. Buzz Boykin (AngBoy's dad) and wife Phyllis both helped me when i was getting started. I have a Magellan explorist 600 with city maps and also have a Garmin GPS60CSX with street maps. that Garmin is awesome. the wife and i have found it very very helpful on vacation as well as caching. i've layed off a little in the summer. the insects and increased vegitation make it harder. the mosquitos really like the taste of my daughter....who now has a broken arm, so that will also reduce our caching for a few weeks.

fritzmccorkle

by the way....the pkclpen clip pen makes a great caching pen. i've put them in caches as well as the compact mirror kits for "first to find" prizes and let me tell you...they were really popular.

clewless

Originally posted by angboy
<br />My sister, who mainly just lurks here, also does caching quite a bit.

Hey Ang,

Is that the "evil twin sister" or is she the "angelic" one even though you've got the name[?][}:)][:)]

dubdrvrkev

Well its good to hear that there are some others here.
I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my GPS so I can get started. I have scoped out about 20 caches around me and between my work and home.

angboy

Originally posted by clewless
<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />My sister, who mainly just lurks here, also does caching quite a bit.

Hey Ang,

Is that the "evil twin sister" or is she the "angelic" one even though you've got the name[?][}:)][:)]

Well she would say that I'm the evil sister... but despite what Mr. McCorkle says, she'd be wrong. As everyone on here knows, I'm quite the angel!

Ryan

I also geocache. It is a great way to get out durring lunch. I have spent many lunch hours looking for caches. Here is one of mine.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gch5ad&Submit6=Go

Enjoy it can be fun.

Ryan

buzzb

I am Buzz's wife, Angboy's Mother and I sometimes lurk on this site also. Angboy pointed out this discussion so I had to reply. It is fun, it is also good to cache as a team, whoever they may be.We've done it both ways (Buzz and Phyllis) with other cachers as well. Just like the interest in turning, which I do a bit of as well, you can "meet" interesting people. fritzmccorkle is right, summer gets hot ideal time is fall and spring and do the turning winter and summer!

dubdrvrkev

Well I had my first day of caching yesterday. Other than wandering around a hillside looking like an idiot trying to learn how to use GPS properly it was a great time. We found all three we looked for. [:D] Not too mention a decent 4 hour hike in the sonoran desert.
I think we'll stay with this since we both had fun and it gets me off my fat duff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom