Wanted Looking for a couple pieces of matching Snake Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gr8macbeth

Hello everyone,

I have a customer that has requested a matching pen/pencil set made from snake wood. I ordered some snake wood blanks from peachtree, and one of them came split so badly it isn't usable. When I got the replacement it doesn't match the first blank I still had from them. Does anyone have a couple of snake wood blanks they are willing to sell to me? This customer handles rattlesnake collection from communities for the fish and game department, and I would really like to make these nice for him, as a way of saying thank you. I am willing to pay well for a matching set of blanks. I am also willing to trade honey mesquite burl if you would prefer to trade. The burl is from the same burl I made the key ring attached to this post.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mesquite Burl key ring.jpg
    Mesquite Burl key ring.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just put this info up as a general announcement but I will reference you because you asked. Snake wood is one of those woods that when used for pens or anything turned that thin is not a matter of will it crack but when will it crack and it will crack. It is wood that you have to finese it and massage it and when you get it turned you need to coat the inside with CA before installing tube. You best to use flex finish if finishing with CA. It is an expensive wood so when using it make sure the customer needs to know this and the potential of disasters. Just mother nature doing her thing. Good luck and here is the link to an excellent carrier.they have some sort of sale so take advantage. I have no affiliation with them just a past customer.

www.cookwoods.com/collections/pen-blanks/products/grade-b-snakewood-3-4

Joe,
Have you considered making the pens using rattlesnake blanks ?
There are several places that offer them for different kits.

Irv

gr8macbeth

Thanks for the advice Irv. My customer is wanting them made out of wood. I showed him a blank made with rattlesnake skin, and he quickly pointed out that he is in the business of saving snakes, and didn't think the blank fit his business. I can respect that.

gr8macbeth

Thanks John,

I appreciate the advice. I know Snake wood can be a little more tricky to preserve. I have had good luck using a thick CA finish on it before. This set is going to be more of a show piece for his desk, than a pen set that he is going to use. I always appreciate the advice though.

MRDucks2

I will also take a look and see what I have if the first offer doesn't work out or have a matching set.

As John T pointed out, snakewood will crack. I have made some nice pens out of it and in each instance, the cracks have to be looked for to be seen but they will show up with time.

I make sure the owners know they will crack as this is a characteristic of the wood and how to help prevent big cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

Thanks John,

I appreciate the advice. I know Snake wood can be a little more tricky to preserve. I have had good luck using a thick CA finish on it before. This set is going to be more of a show piece for his desk, than a pen set that he is going to use. I always appreciate the advice though.

If you worked with this before than you probably know this too but in case someone else is reading this. Do not press the components with out filing the tubes so they basically are a finger push in and use some red loctite if you want to adhere them. Less pressure at those ends can help some. Also use epoxy to glue tube in to allow flex would be another suggestion. Good luck. They do make a nice blank if it is decent looking.

TonyL

If you worked with this before than you probably know this too but in case someone else is reading this. Do not press the components with out filing the tubes so they basically are a finger push in and use some red loctite if you want to adhere them. Less pressure at those ends can help some. Also use epoxy to glue tube in to allow flex would be another suggestion

Very good advice JT; that is where I encountered trouble.

MRDucks2

I will also take a look and see what I have if the first offer doesn't work out or have a matching set.

As John T pointed out, snakewood will crack. I have made some nice pens out of it and in each instance, the cracks have to be looked for to be seen but they will show up with time.

I make sure the owners know they will crack as this is a characteristic of the wood and how to help prevent big cracks.

Nope, the extra board was Bloodwood not Snake Wood. Only a couple of snakewood blanks of different shades in my assortment.

Top Bottom