Working with Jimmy Clewes Photo Added

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Jimmy Clewes was in Florida and our club got him for a Saturday demo. And they got him for a hands on 5 person 3 day class that I was fortunate enough to sign up for. Today I did the first of 3 days with him full 8 hour days. What a nice guy or chap I should say. He spends the time with you easy to understand I picked up some tips already. Today we turned a basic bowl tomorrow a 2 wing natural edge and Thursday a lidded ornamental.

http://www.jimmyclewes.com/

I haven't done much bowl turning so I hope to pick up some info.

Here are a few things we made over the last three days.
JimmyandMe.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

You sir are one LUCKY individual, (NOT MY FIRST CHOICE OF DESCRIPTIVE TERMS) congratulations Bruce I hope you learn a ton of things from Mr. Clewes, I have two of his signature gouges but neither one yields results like his do.

MrPukaShell

We had him at our club and as you say he is one great "Chap". Very approachable and treats you just like one of the guys. Awesome stories and one hell of a nice guy. Have a great time

bruce119

I agree Bruce. It has been an awesome class so far! Jimmy is a great guy. I am just bummed Rudy screwed up my bowl from today...I am hoping Jimmy can fix it in the morning....

There are some photos from today on my facebook fan page at http://www.facebook.com/patricksikes?ref=profile#!/album.php?aid=157078&id=86744968323

Patrick

Ohhh so that was the one that boom at the end of the day.

Heck there for a wile there was bowls flying around the workshop.

I wasn't left out mine broke out of the chuck half cutting the inside but Jimmy show me a way to salvage it. We got it back one and finished just a little smaller and a little thinner but turned out great just the same.

A really great day with Jimmy looking forward to tomorrow.

randyrls

Jimmy Clewes was at our turning club last May.

He had a large chunk of wood on a powermatic lathe.

He "found" a worm....

With the lathe tool.....

Messy.....

After wiping his safety glasses off, he commented that he was glad he wasn't talking at that moment... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oldwagon

I have missed the last 3 times he was here in Louisville,KY.Everyone here says he is great.I hope I can get to his next meeting here.I would say if you get a chance to turn with him to go for it. Todd

bruce119

My Trophy Shot

Here is a photo of Jimmy and me holding the few thing we made over the last 3 days. I guess you would call this my trophy shot. It was a great time jimmy is a fantastic instructor. I picked a lot of tips he is free and giving to pick his brain and he spends the time and helps you to get it. Highly recommended if any of you get a chance to spend time with him do.

JimmyandMe.jpg

bruce119

Did he lite his bowl on fire? That guys is freaking awesome.
Manny

Manny you know he talked about that. Your not kidding I asked about if he wipes his wood down before finishing he he did indeed say in some cases he wipes with alcohol and sets it on fire and burn it off. He wipes it to raise the grain. He didn't set one fire for us. maybe Saturday. We got one more day a demo for a large class. Not too sure what he is going to do but it is going to be something different.

Top Bottom