Cartridge Pen, Please read!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Help Needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I am going to start a new thread that is for PHOTO POSTING ONLY. Please repost your pens with their names only, not ads or trash talking in the new thread. Also state if your pen is in the "Newbie" category. After all photos are posted, tomorrow I will (hopefully) set up a poll for voting on the top entries.

The photo thread is located here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49630

I posted the above post on July 31, 2009 on the 39th page of the Cartridge Pen Contest thread. I had asked for help in posting photos of all the pens, but no one stepped forward. On August 2nd, I took the liberty of assuming (yes I know the folk wisdom about assuming) that all of the photos were posted by those who had entered the contest. Since the forum software limits the number of items listed in a poll to 10, I divided the "open" class into 2 polls and a third poll for the Newbie contest.

At this time, I have two entries into the photos that were not there when I started the poll, and one entry that still has no photos in the photo thread.

Let me know your opinions on this. I am inclined to have the two open class polls closed and cancelled. I will wait until Friday the 7th to make sure everyone has their pens in the photo thread. Then, I will open two new polls with all of the turners entered in the open class. By that, I mean I will go through the photo thread and enter everyone who has photos posted in the thread. As before, members can vote in both polls. After a week of voting, we will go to the top five finals.

Please use this thread to post opinions on this subject. Let me know what you think we should do, and I will try to accomodate the majority opinion.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ESwindell

William,
I feel that it would be fair to close the existing polls and start over. There are probably some who after posting their pen just wait to see if they get a PM saying that they won something. I did not see your request for help with gathering the names, I will be willing to do that not sure that I could move the pictures though. I would also be willing to PM every one to remind/let them know that they would need to vote again and that they are able to vote in all of the different poll threads if you would like. Just let me know what you need.
God Bless,
Eric

ldb2000

By my count there were 32 different people who entered at least one pen in the original contest thread not including one late entry and two DQ that did not meet the contest requirements .

There are only 24 people listed in the photo thread not including , one that was not in the original contest thread and the late entry .

Looks like there are a few people who either did not see or did not follow directions .

workinforwood

I missed it or the help wanted part at least. I did however PM you Cav that if you needed help with sorting anything out, I would assist. I did not receive a reply, so figured you have it all under control. I would leave all that is, as it is.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This was not intended to be an angry and/or defensive post. I was trying to lay out the chronology of events. This morning, I can see how it might have been taken as such. Anyway, please keep opinions coming and we will come to a consensus.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
How about let the judges pick the first prize once all entries are in a photo thread. All other prizes by random drawing. I would even be okay with random drawing for all participants or perhaps use this for the future to encourage more entries.

Crayman

I was one of the late posts on the photo thread, as I finished my pens, posted to the original thread then went away on vacation, no internet access. I came back and saw the photo thread and add my photos. I was not aware the photo thread was started or being used to judge the contest. Like with most contests here on IAP they are for fun just to try new pens and techniques. I would like to win a prize, but that was not the only reason I entered. I wanted to try bullet pens as I only did 1 before, and multi color powder coating, I thought of a year ago, but never had the time.

What ever happens, I am just glad to get inspiration from IAP family and occasionally give some I have.

hewunch

I was one who did not post in the second thread but did post in the first thread. I have since added my photo to the second thread. That said, I am certain that my pen is not worthy of 1st-8th prize (and maybe not any of the rest of them for that matter) so I am not concerned about that in the least. I honestly was just trying to get in on the fun of the original thread. So I will be OK with anything. And as a prize sponsor, I had not planned on winning anything.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I also certainly don't mind how it's handled either.:biggrin:
Even IF I won anything, I was planning to pass the prize on anyway:wink:

Wouldn't mind getting one of Jeff's ( Workinforwood ) ribbons though:biggrin:

wudnhed

What ever is decided is OK by me. I wasn't planning on winning anything but if by a possible miracle the heavens opened up and all the IAP members were hit on their wudnhed's and voted for me and I won something, I had planned on donating the prize.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cav,

I believe the consensus is, no one WANTS your JOB!!!!

And, as usual, the membership shows grace and decorum (boy, have WE evolved!!)

The last contest I ran (the first one using the polls to "judge"), I limited it to six pictures per poll cause I was brilliant --- and the forum software would only allow six at the time. But, it did work out pretty well, using the top two from each poll. This contest has LOTS more entries.

But, no matter HOW you do it, the cream will rise. There are enough voters that the "winners" will be selected and the "second tier" will not. Those in the middle may have slightly different tallies of votes, depending on who they are "up against", but they WILL be in the middle. So, what's the diff???

And, it seems everyone is going to donate their prizes anyhow. As usual, the real contest is for BRAGGING RIGHTS!!! Many of those in this contest will keep BRAGGING, even if they DON'T WIN!!

Do what you think is best and most easily accomplished, Cav. The IAP will not hang you in effigy.

This is, of course, ONLY MY opinion. Maybe they WILL!!

workinforwood

Keep in mind there is prize ribbons. There is a 1st through 3rd place ribbon sitting in my workshop specifically for this contest, printed for this contest, so there has to be a 1st through 3rd place.

Now far as the contest goes, I would have done it a bit different. I would have gone with the Birthday bash type format, pick 5 judges, have them pick 5-6 top pens and then have the vote on those by the public. The re-posting of the picks by the public is easily messed up. This is not any poke at you Cav either...it's just all part of the learning curve. Then I would have wrote down all the newbie casing names, tossed them in a hat and pulled one out. Then add the rest of the names for non-newbies into the hat and draw the remaining prize lots. so that nobody receives more than one prize. It's just food for future thought.

As it stands right now, what we know is that you were really busy with personal things and dealing with this monster at the same time. Whatever you do, we will all be happy with it and learn from it too. I'm pretty much in total agreement with Ed. And yes, we all feel our pen is the best pen...who wouldn't???!!!:biggrin:

Steve..if you win prizes, you keep prizes. That's rule #1 !!!:) We don't take time to sponsor up prizes for you not to accept them, even if we do have to ship them to England..ugh.:curse:

ESwindell

Hey, here is another thought. Since there are already 3 threads why not add a fourth or more if needed for the ones that have been left out, that way you don't have to start over and people would just need to vote on those groups.
God Bless,
Eric

workinforwood

Hey, here is another thought. Since there are already 3 threads why not add a fourth or more if needed for the ones that have been left out, that way you don't have to start over and people would just need to vote on those groups.
God Bless,
Eric

I like that. Sneak my name into the new poll and if anyone votes for me, add it to my other votes! :biggrin:

maxman400

As a new member to the IAP I must confess that right now I am dazed and confused. :confused: I only knew of two threads, Post and trash talk, and the second one at the end to post photos and name of it only. I missed the Help Call and apparently every thing else. :sleepy: So as a new member that don't understand or know how to use the form as well as the older members, I say do what ever you feel is fair and easiest for you after all
"You are the MAN". :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
........and the second one at the end to post photos and name of it only. I missed the Help Call........

LOL, now you're getting me confused:biggrin: I thought that the 'Post Photo's only' one was the call for help ( for us to re-post ), otherwise Cav would have moved the pics himself.:confused:

But hey c'mon guys, Let's cut Cav some slack. If Kruger ( little English remember? ) can come in late and still read and understand the posts, then so should the rest of us. :wink:

But perhaps Eric's suggestion could solve the problem?:wink:

David M

anyway is okay .... i am not in the running just happy to be here .

but as jeff said with the 5 judges ..... wasnt that how is was posted to be in the first red whit and blue post .... rules
"The contest will start on July 1st and run through the 31st. At that time, a secret panel of judges will pick the top 5 casing pens. The IAP members will vote on these pens to determine the winners"
sorry if it sound like i am sturing the pot , over look me ......

Top Bottom