Wanted Ebony Veneer and Larger Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

das225

I'm looking for a source for gaboon ebony in dimensions not typically stocked. I'm particularly interested in veneers - ideally ~1/32" - and larger stuff, ideally 3" square by however long. Does anyone have a recommended source or some of this stuff lying around?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm looking for a source for gaboon ebony in dimensions not typically stocked. I'm particularly interested in veneers - ideally ~1/32" - and larger stuff, ideally 3" square by however long. Does anyone have a recommended source or some of this stuff lying around?

Here is a possible source: https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/ebony/products/nigerian-ebony-turning-square-12-x-2-x-2

If you need larger, consider calling them and have a HUGE bank account ready.

I have no idea where you can obtain authentic ebony veneers, if 8MM (about 1/32") of dyed sycamore would work, check here: http://www.dyed-veneer.com/X-tra-THICK---Dyed-Black-Anigre-Veneer-1-1.aspx

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Maybe a stupid question or else you wouldn't be asking but do you have the capabilities to mill it yourself?? If not does it have to be wood . Will acrylic sheets do.??? What are you doing with that thin material. ???

das225

Maybe a stupid question or else you wouldn't be asking but do you have the capabilities to mill it yourself?? If not does it have to be wood . Will acrylic sheets do.??? What are you doing with that thin material. ???

Not a dumb question by any means! I actually do have the milling capabilities, but I figured between the bandsaw kerf and the material lost on the drum sander I would be losing at least five times as much material as I'd be getting - although I'm sure that processing is reflected in the high cost of veneers.

I'm building a high end model of a robot for a professor as part of a project. Ebony was explicitly selected for both its appearance and rarity - otherwise I would just use dyed maple veneer :)

das225

Here is a possible source: https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/ebony/products/nigerian-ebony-turning-square-12-x-2-x-2

If you need larger, consider calling them and have a HUGE bank account ready.

I have no idea where you can obtain authentic ebony veneers, if 8MM (about 1/32") of dyed sycamore would work, check here: X-tra THICK - Dyed Black Swiss Sycamore Veneer - 0.9mm thick (1/28") - Sheet Size = 36" L x 5.5" W

Thank you! I would be using dyed maple if the project didn't explicitly call for ebony - certainly would resolve a number of issues.

leehljp

Member Liaison
. . . Thank you! I would be using dyed maple if the project didn't explicitly call for ebony - certainly would resolve a number of issues.

Not sure you know this or the "write up person" project knows this or not . . . but "ebony wood" is not a specific species. It is a more of a color. There are several species around the world that have ebony colors, as well as other colors in them. In general but not always, ebony is oily in addition to being very dense. One African ebony wood is not oily and I "think" it is "African Blackwood", but not sure. Some persimmon trees have the dense oily black (ebony) wood, but most don't. The reason that I wrote that ebony is not a specific species is that most black woods that people call ebony is not persimmon, and yet persimmon has ebony. All the different ebonies are not necessarily related in species at all.

I wrote this because people who request ebony usually think it is a specific species, but rather is a multiplicity of species with a black color. I was once asked to make a bowl out of "ebony". I told them how EXPENSIVE it would be and they replied "I just want a black bowl." I got a blank of hard rock maple, and dyed it under vacuum and then pressure (and time), and waxed it well. That was just want they wanted.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not a dumb question by any means! I actually do have the milling capabilities, but I figured between the bandsaw kerf and the material lost on the drum sander I would be losing at least five times as much material as I'd be getting - although I'm sure that processing is reflected in the high cost of veneers.

I'm building a high end model of a robot for a professor as part of a project. Ebony was explicitly selected for both its appearance and rarity - otherwise I would just use dyed maple veneer :)

Well not knowing all the particulars to this project and its precise need for Gabon ebony you will have a hard time finding that particular wood in that thin of a veneer and if you do the price will be as high as if you milled it yourself. It i s the blackest wood known to man but not all pieces are so. That thin will be very brittle to work with. If the project is that special than cost should not be a factor. To get the finest grade will cost. As mentioned dying wood veneers is nothing new so this can be done for far less a price. If you are still looking I suggest guitar shops and places like that which work with veneers of this size and thickness. Good luck.

Last edited:

PatrickR

I do have some Macassar Ebony veneer. Not solid black, streaked with brown and I believe 1/32 thick. If interested I could dig it out.

PatrickR

. . . Thank you! I would be using dyed maple if the project didn't explicitly call for ebony - certainly would resolve a number of issues.

Not sure you know this or the "write up person" project knows this or not . . . but "ebony wood" is not a specific species. It is a more of a color. There are several species around the world that have ebony colors, as well as other colors in them. In general but not always, ebony is oily in addition to being very dense. One African ebony wood is not oily and I "think" it is "African Blackwood", but not sure. Some persimmon trees have the dense oily black (ebony) wood, but most don't. The reason that I wrote that ebony is not a specific species is that most black woods that people call ebony is not persimmon, and yet persimmon has ebony. All the different ebonies are not necessarily related in species at all.

I wrote this because people who request ebony usually think it is a specific species, but rather is a multiplicity of species with a black color. I was once asked to make a bowl out of "ebony". I told them how EXPENSIVE it would be and they replied "I just want a black bowl." I got a blank of hard rock maple, and dyed it under vacuum and then pressure (and time), and waxed it well. That was just want they wanted.

A couple points of interest. True ebonies are in the family Diospyros. Persimmon is in this family, making it a true ebony.
The term ebony is used in common names for several woods that are not in that family. I think the scarcity of true ebonies has led to the misuse of the term.

leehljp

Member Liaison
A couple points of interest. True ebonies are in the family Diospyros. Persimmon is in this family, making it a true ebony.
The term ebony is used in common names for several woods that are not in that family. I think the scarcity of true ebonies has led to the misuse of the term.

Thanks for this clarification. I would have given a "like" to your statement but "like" is not available on the "Trades, Gifts & Wants" forum.

I knew in my searches (not true "REsearches") and experiences that there were wide ranges of black/ebonies that were unrelated. I grew up where most ebonies were related (in unscientific terms) to African woods. I was totally surprised to find persimmon in an ebony when I lived in Japan. The few persimmon trees here that I remember being sawn were not ebony but mottled with some black streaks on occasion. I never considered persimmon to be ebony until I ran across some fantastic boards in Japan.

Thanks again. Not all "ebonies" are Diospyros, but that is because we mis-use the term! I will link future clarifications to this thread. Great "CORRECT" information.

Top Bottom