First Acrylic- or - Now look what ya made me do!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

underdog

I've been turning a few pens lately, mostly wood slimlines. But since ordering all those kits from Exotic Blanks, I've had a couple of freebie acrylic blanks hanging around, that I've been too timid to turn...

So recently I got an "order" from SWMBO to turn the purple blank into a pen for one of her friends. This friend has truly been a friend because she's called, visited, and generally checked up on us during a very difficult time in our lives. So I was quite glad to do it. But I first I had to get some expert tips from the guys over here...

Anyway, I drilled the blanks, painted the tubes, and glued them in this past week. Today, I finally got it together and turned this thing, polished it and put it together...

It's a little more purple than this picture shows, probably because the flourescent lighting turned it all blue. It's the madreperlata purple (mother of pearl purple) acrylic imported from Italy (woo!), and a fancy slimline kit TN gold, with a comfort center band. (Thanks to Andy Little for the good advice on this kit!)

I'm still learning. I have yet to get a perfectly concentric pen...

Thanks for all the help guys. And thanks (I think.. maybe) to Ed from Exotic Blanks for shoving me into the acrylic world... Dang it. Now I want one....
Here's the result of Ed sending me a couple of freebie blanks, and you guys giving me all the tips on how to get this thing produced.

Attachments

• PurplePen2.jpg
    PurplePen2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 342
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Jim that is really nice! Purple is really hard to photograph as I have learned.

el_d

Very nice Jim, looks like your a natural for the acrylics.

Your OOR issue can be fixed by turning between centers.

Wait till you start casting your own.......

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GREAT job!!! Toldya you could do it!!!!

Purple pens used to outsell every other color when we did shows!! But, I had a heck of a time getting pics--yours actually looks very good!!

Don't worry, you keep ordering, we'll keep sending drugs, I mean blanks!!!! Once you're completely addicted you'll find yourself buying the blanks---its a sinister plot!!!!

They do make pretty pens--------that sell!!!!!

Top Bottom