Manzinita Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reefboy1

reefboy1

Hi all,

I got this big Manzinita block from Larry (ldubia - a fellow IAPer) and decided to turn it this weekend. I did find that my tool set and skills were horribly inadequate for hollowing this thing out. It's about 8" wide and 11" tall. My only tool was a 3/8" bowl gouge (and a parting tool to make the tenon).

I'm happy with the outside shape and really can't believe how beautiful the wood is - beautiful figure and colors.

Here's the raw block with minimal prep with a chain saw (thanks Greg/Jay for the help):

1_IMG00075-20110128-1857.jpg

Turning the shape. As you can see it's filled with gaps and bark- but that's the look I'm going for:

1_Man_Outer.jpg

After I shaped the outside (and rested my weary arms) I wrapped it in masking tape and duct tape to keep it from flying apart as I hollowed it.

1_Man_Wrapped.jpg

After a few hours of hollowing with the bowl gouge I'm reaching the limit of the depth before the vibrations are just too much.

1_Man_Hollowing.jpg

After a coat of Tung oil:

1_IMG00099-20110130-1055.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Did you turn this on a small or mini Rikon lathe? It's certainly a great job. Bet it took a while with just a 3/8" gouge!

reefboy1

I used a Rikon 1216 lathe. I had about 1/2" swing clearance when I started. I was impressed that I never had a problem with torque/power while turning.

When hollowing I did have to put my weight on the stand to keep it from jumping around.

Thanks.
Art

ldubia

I thought you said you were a noobie! That is very impressive. Great work. Anytime you want to come out and visit or need more wood, let me know.

That is beautiful.

David Keller

Nice job on a beautiful piece of wood! You've got to get some other tools before you go reaching into a deep form like that!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice job with a tough to turn material. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Top Bottom