jaegers finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

This is the finish that I use for wood, discussed in another thread. A couple of notes. I have BLO in an applicator bottle with a nozzle similar to the nozzles on the CA bottles.
I use rubbing alcohol, Hut Crystal Coat Liquid Friction Polish, EEE Ultra Shine Paste, Medium CA and BLO.
I use paper towel strips for use with the rubbing alcohol only.

Applicator
I use 3" X 6" strips of old white cotton T-Shirts folded twice length wise. This is my 4 ply applicator for polishes and finishes. Note that gloves are suggested while applying CA as well as all other safety measures and precautions.

Here is my technique for a piece that does not have inclusions or open grains to fill in. I will start with a piece that is ready for finish sanding.

I sand with 400 grit while the lathe is running. I shut off the lathe and sand length wise until all scratches are removed. At this point I use a piece of paper towel with rubbing alcohol and clean the piece, rubbing out towards the bushings. Every time that I touch the piece, I am using a clean section of towel.
Next, I switch to the t shirt material for all further applications. I shake the bottle of Hut Crystal Liquid and apply several drops to the cloth and rub lightly on the wood until thoroughly covered. Now I use quite a bit of pressure and polish. I usually polish twice this way and then use a clean piece to remove excess.
Next I take the EEE Ultra paste and cover the piece lightly and proceed to again add quite a bit of pressure to shine. Again I use a clean section to remove excess. Next, I go back to the Hut Crystal Liquid and repeat the first procedure until I have a nice shine. One last time and most important at this step, I use a clean section to firmly remove any excess polish.
The piece should be very shiney and free of scratches at this point.
I am now ready to apply my CA finish. I always start with a fresh applicator at this point. I can usually get all applications on one strip by starting at the top.

*See Applicator
I apply one drop of BLO and apply with the lathe running at about 2800 rpm. I now use one drop of BLO and one drop of Medium CA and apply evenly over the wood. I apply firmly and keep moving applicator back and forth very fast. By applying firmly and moving fast, the finish heats up and dries fairly fast. I then rub with a clean section of applicator. I repeat this step until I have six layers of finish. One last time I use a clean area of the applicator to shine the wood.

Last I take a clean section and apply just a little bit of the Hut Crystal Liquid. I pat it down so that the amount is flat and thin. I now polish with this one last time to bring out the shine. I apply a fair amount of pressure, although not as firm as when applying the CA.
That is it. I skip the Ren wax because I think it dulls this finish.

Here is a link of a video created by another member here. I think this video is top notch so I included it with this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Hi Jaeger,
Interesting finishing process you have there .
I can see how your pens will look highly glossed but I dont know about the permanancy of the gloss when using a friction polish as the base for the other applications.
How have your pens stood the test of time and prolonged use with this process?
regards, talbot

Mark

Thank you for sharing your process. I printed it out and have stored it in my Notebook for quick reference. Thx again.

jaeger

Hi Jaeger,
Interesting finishing process you have there .
I can see how your pens will look highly glossed but I dont know about the permanancy of the gloss when using a friction polish as the base for the other applications.
How have your pens stood the test of time and prolonged use with this process?
regards, talbot

The finish holds up great! Before I apply the finish I use a clean piece to remove any excess polish. I understand your concern being the amount of polish that already permeates into the wood. The CA will bond to it. Try it on a sample.
The part that takes the most finis is the very last step. That is, to use little enough polish to bring back the gloss on the finished pen.

turnaround

Thanks, I printed the directions and tried it out on a keychain blank for my camper keys. It felt strange putting the polish on first but the final result is very good. I keep the keys in my f250 to see how the finish holds up to rough service. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom