Bottlebrush & Camphor gloat!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Well I got lucky and got a tip on a Bottlebrush tree that was coming down:tongue:. Bottlebrush is common here in Florida (in peoples front yards):mad:. So it is a very difficult wood to get. The wood has great color and turns very nice. This was one of the largest Bottlebrush trees I have seen they are more of a large bush so this is fairly old growth.

I mite cut some of it up and offer some bowl blanks or cut it to fit in some flat rate boxes if there is interest. I also got some nice Camphor from the same location. Again a very large tree with excellent color. My truck was loaded it felt like a freight train I was afraid I was going to bust a spring.

Here is a few shots of the Bottlebrush wood
BBa1.jpgBBa2.jpg

one after anchor seal
BBa3.jpg

A vase I made
BB1.jpgBB4.jpg

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Bruce,

Was a great idea to leave some of the leafs and flower with some of the logs, I have just responded to you other thread about the vase you made out of the green wood, without checking this thread so I was not sure of what sort of Bottlebrush you had but, now that I've seen these pics, I can certainly say that your wood is from the "true" Bottlebrush shrub that we have also plenty of it here in Australia. Indeed, I have 12 plants in my yard, some bigger than others but, nothing that size, half of mine are exactly the same colour flower, the rest are more like a light pink. You are also correct when you say that is damn difficult to get shrubs that grow that big, most of them never will, regardless of how long they stay on the ground, only those with plenty of water and very fertile soils grow to such humongous size...!:eek:

I can't be sure how that wood will perform green, as I never got anything that large to try, but I wish I will some day...!:wink: Mine here planted about 15 years ago, when this house was built (I rent it), and even with all the water they get and good soils, if they will reach those sort of sizes, will most certainly not be in my life time, if and when they do, my bones will have been turned to dust...!:eek::biggrin:

Good luck with it all...!

PS: The Camphor Laurel looks pretty good too, another one of those species that Australia has plenty off, but none in this area...!:mad: I would like some to help me with my breathing difficulties...!:redface: and turn, off-course...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Nice score... I had a bottle brush plant in my first house in CA... no where near that size.. great color too... does it retain the color as it dries??

You don't think of the ornamental shrubs being great turning wood, but they can be... I took out 3 large Red Tip's (Photinia) that were at the end of my house... the base of one of them was almost a foot diameter... it split into 2 or 3 trunks the largest of which was about 8 or 9 inches... very dense and white wood.. turns great.

bruce119

That is a mighty small base.

If you talking about the vase ("base")??? it measures 7.5" across and stand 7" tall. I tuned one of the smaller pieces real fast just to how it turns and looks.

The largest logs are are over 12" in diameter and that is huge for this species.

thanks

Top Bottom