CA Finish Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

Hey everyone,

I need help from the CA Experts on this one, i have no idea what is going on with my CA finish method, here is what is going on,

I first put on a coat of thin CA to seal the wood blank, then BLO.....works fine

Here is the problem i run into;
when I apply the Medium CA Glue to the wood blank, it goes on ok, but when I apply the BLO....it seems to make it worse. The finish looks tacky and when it dries, it has wavy lines in it.

I have tried using fresh CA glue and BLO, changed the RPM speed of my lathe...but I have no idea what is going on. If anyone has had this problem...please advise. Thank you

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oops99

Keven,

This is a video by William Young who belongs to this group as well as others. I have been using this method since the first time I heard about it, and even though it does take some practice to get it right, it is the best and easiest method that I have ever done.
Sometimes the type of wood may have an effect on using this, but overall it is a system worth trying. I think you will like it.
Please let us know if and how it works for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

Good luck,
Tom/oops99

Pen&FishingCT

i was having the same problem as yours,in my own conclussion i think medium and thin ca don't get along,period.i brought the blank back to start and didn't use the medium and i was fine even near perfect.for certain reason if i'm using medium ca thats all i use thru the whole process.
hope that helps.

toddlajoie

I've had luck with it this way: Think of the BLO as lubricant for the paper towel, not part of the finish and not to be mixed with the CA. Generally I put the BLO on the paper towel and let it soak in a bit. Put the CA over it and apply it to the blank with light pressure to spread it out. As the CA smooths out, increase pressure on the paper towel. The BLO being soaked into it will prevent the CA from grabbing the Paper towel and embedding it in the finish (that's where I see it as a lubricant...)

hurman

I just tried this method, practiced on one trash blank and then a personal ebony pen and I am sticking with this for now on!
I will be experimenting with Micromesh to 12K and maybe wet sanding as well, I will let you know how that goes.

Mark

Glad you got your process worked out. I'm still flipping around finding what works for me.

Does anyone else use wax paper to apply the CA? It seened to help me.

I've used wax paper, but only between my finger and the paper towel. Since I started, starting with the thin CA, then moving to the medium, I haven't needed the wax paper. The thin CA, forms a shield of sorts in the paper towel. The wax paper was no longer needed.

dontheturner

I just tried this method, practiced on one trash blank and then a personal ebony pen and I am sticking with this for now on!
I will be experimenting with Micromesh to 12K and maybe wet sanding as well, I will let you know how that goes.
Hi H, Since I started using MM to 12,000 Wet - all my Finishing ( using CA) has improved to my total satisfaction. Only problem here in Thailand, where it is nearly always 30+ degrees, is once the CA is partly used from a bottle, it starts to go thicker in the bottle very quickly. Any thoughts? Don

bradh

Hi H, Since I started using MM to 12,000 Wet - all my Finishing ( using CA) has improved to my total satisfaction. Only problem here in Thailand, where it is nearly always 30+ degrees, is once the CA is partly used from a bottle, it starts to go thicker in the bottle very quickly. Any thoughts? Don

I don't think it is the 30+ degrees C heat, it is likely the high humidity that comes with the heat. The humidity will activate the setting of the CA.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I would suggest keeping it in the refrigerator when not in use.

I agree with Todd!

I have problems when i try and use thin and then medium/thick CA.
If i just use one of the grades it works out perfectly.

I still use the BLO/CA method and it works good for me.

Andrew

dontheturner

Hi Wolftat, This is an opened bottle, not the new ones, which I do keep refrigerated. Will it not be affected, as some have suggested on here, due to condensation migration, in the void? must admit, I have not experimented. Thank you dontheturner

KDM

I have an interesting problemette with a CA finish. This is my 7th pen with CA finish. Never seen this problem before. The damn blank got glued to the mandrel!!

I had to remove it with a hammer and a hacksaw. Made a terrible mess of my first inlay / segment pen. It's beech wood with a diagonal mahogany stripe.

themartaman

I use thin and medium on one pen. Sometimes thick. Best if all from same company. I have been usingZap for over 30 years building rc planes. They are the original ca company.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZJxdm380YYUS
I have an interesting problemette with a CA finish. This is my 7th pen with CA finish. Never seen this problem before. The damn blank got glued to the mandrel!!

I had to remove it with a hammer and a hacksaw. Made a terrible mess of my first inlay / segment pen. It's beech wood with a diagonal mahogany stripe.
Glued to the madrel usually means ca in the tube. Even dried ca in the tube will soften during the heat of turning/sanding and then once cooled again, as you found out. Go get a

randyrls

Ken; Take some wax to your mandrel and bushings. Coat the mandrel and bushings, even inside the hole in the bushings. You should not have any problems after that. I use a tapered delrin rod mounted on the mandrel with a size "D" hole in it.

chrisk

Dear colleagues,
a few days ago, I finished two kits with CA (1 Jr Gent and 1 Majestic). At the beginning I had a sore throat but for 3 days I experienced a loss of voice.
And this at the time when I started to see some performance with the CA finish…

Meanwhile I even bought the mask with the charcoal filters but considering the aforementioned health problems I do not know if I will try CA finish again.
Previously, I used Hot Stuff and Chestnut CA which irritated especially the nasal channels. Thereafter I started to use the Titebond CA. At the beginning I found that it did not irritate the nasal channels at all but I felt an embarrassment with the throat. Two days after came the loss of voice…

KDM

...mask with the charcoal filters...

Is this recommended? I've only really started penturning and all my pens (not into double digits yet) have a CA finish. I just realised today that sometimes teh CA fumes make me sneeze. I suppose the fumes could be curing pretty quick in the damp air and the particles irritating my nose?

Top Bottom