Seamless Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

So I was playing around this evening, and I came up with this. It is a seamless slimline. You twist the nib to retract the ballpoint. I am sure someone else has done this before, can anybody point me to any threads or pages talking about this style of pen. I'm thinking about ditching the metal nib and finial and replacing those with turned wood pieces, but I need a drill chuck so I can drill with a little more precision.

Added dissasembled picture

Attachments

• IMGP1903.jpg
    IMGP1903.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 407
  • IMGP1908.jpg
    IMGP1908.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Nice pen , your finish looks great .
Just search for "Modified slimline" and you will find this style as well as many others .
Don Ward and Russ Fairfield both have tutorials on these kinds of pens and I have been running the "Kitless Challenge" over in the advanced penturning forum in which the challenge is to build a "Ultra modified slimline" .

Last edited:

davinci27

Everything is a standard slimline kit. I glued the top tube in but left the bottom tube lose. I left the bottom tube in to square and turn the blank. After the blank was turned and finished I pulled the bottom tube out. Sprayed som WD-40 on the transmision to loosen i up so it would turn easily then pressed the nib and the transmission into the brass tube. Now just slide everything into the barrel then press on the finnial and clip. The transmission will grip the top tube and hold everything together.

It's pretty easy to turn, but you have to catch the nib just right to pull it out. I'm going to try to file the ridges on the transmission down just a bit so it still drips but is easier to pull out. I'll pull it apart tonight and get a couple of pictures.

its_virgil

Maybe this will help you out:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25868&highlight=line

The current issue of Woodturning Design magazine has an interesting article on making the nibs and finial for slimlines from wood or acrylics or corian.

Russ Fairfield also lots of info in his new video. Check it out at http://woodturnerruss.com

Do a good turn daily!
Don

So I was playing around this evening, and I came up with this. It is a seamless slimline. You twist the nib to retract the ballpoint. I am sure someone else has done this before, can anybody point me to any threads or pages talking about this style of pen. I'm thinking about ditching the metal nib and finial and replacing those with turned wood pieces, but I need a drill chuck so I can drill with a little more precision.

Top Bottom