Mini Review Woodchuck Pen Pro, first use, wow!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hdtran

Finally got to use the Woodchuck Pen Pro.

I am doing an inlay kit (Lazerlinez' stars & stripes). My previous experience with this kit was tedious (need to finish turning using a skew very carefully, and lots of cleaning between sandings, so you don't get bleed of the red dust or blue dust into the white parts).

Per Ken Ferrell's instructions, I lowered the tool rest so that the cutting edge was level with the axis of the spindle. I ran the speed up to somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm, and gently put the tool into the workpiece (not riding the bevel, just push the cutting edge in). Chips and shavings immediately. Wow, this cuts wood like a sharp knife into butter! And the shavings are really shavings, not dust--sort of like pencil shavings from a pencil sharpener. When I stopped the lathe to look more closely, no "wrong color" bled into the white parts of the inlay. Totally wow!

I shaped the pen, and turned down to bushings in just minutes. The surface finish is excellent. I skipped 400 paper; went straight to sanding sealer (because I'm doing an inlay, and I don't want to bleed sanding dust), then, a couple of quick swipes with 600 paper. Then, went directly to CA finish and micromesh. So: No sanding at 150, 180, 220, 320, or 400!

I'm totally amazed at how good a finish I get with this tool!

Next step is to try it on leopardwood, then, a celtic-knot-like segmented pen. I'm expecting the leopardwood would present the most difficulty (if any) because of the uneven texture in the wood, but we'll see. I'll post again after I've had the chance on those two items.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
+1 on the Woodchuck tools!

I have a few of Ken's insert tools and love using them. I barely have a use for 600 grit now, I'm often going right to my CA finish. The only down side is as a new turner these have stunted my growth into other tools...

Chris

hschofield

+1 from me also. It works awesome. There was a slight issue when I got mine but Ken was right there to get it fixed for me. It is an awesome tool.

ctubbs

There may be a better wood turning tool somewhere, but I have not heard of it. I bought the BowlPro but it works wonderful on pens. Ken is the man, no doubt.
Charles

hdtran

So here's a photo of the Majestic Jr/lazerlinez Stars & Stripes inlay that I did using the Woodchuck Pen Pro.

Look! No tool marks! No bleed of dust from red into white, or blue into white!

For finishing, a dab of sanding sealer, then, a few swipes with 600 paper, then, directly to CA finish.

Attachments

• P1000526 [800x600].jpg
    P1000526 [800x600].jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 511

Simplex

Ditto on the Woodchuck! Hell, I don't even use my regular turning tools anymore. It's great for turning the more difficult materials like Trustone and reinforced concrete (j/K).

Top Bottom