Mini Review Woodchuck Model II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Airedale

Being new to turning I started with a basic set of tools. When making a pen I used the roughing gouge, then a spindle gouge and if I felt brave I tried the skew. My results were okay, and I had good luck with just a few tear outs, mostly with the skew. I had seen a post on the Woodchuck and did a search here, it seemed like a decent tool and I ordered one.

The first thing I did when it arrived was make a handle, that was an interesting project, glad I made one instead of purchasing.

I tried the Woodchuck Model II on acrylic, cherry burl, maple burl and box elder burl (all woods none stabilized). It worked well, letting me use just the one tool for pens, and then I started sanding.

The more I used it the more comfortable I felt, I was looking for something that would be more of a challenge. I had a red palm blank that I wanted to try, I cut the blank to size, then drilled it out. Although I thought I was careful I cracked the blank, it seemed what I read about the palm being difficult was true... I decided to turn it anyway, I did not glue in the tube, just put it between a dead and live center. I was surprised when I turned the blank round (and then some) with no tube or glue. I was then ready to try a blank with a tube, when I drilled this time I tried to be more careful, no cracks. When I turned this blank I did not add any CA glue until I was finished sanding, the Woodchuck worked very well :wink:

The inserts I ordered were 4 inch radius, I think a square ones for tenons might be useful. I don't expect it to replace all of my tools, but it has become my most useful :cool:

Red Palm
palmn.jpg

Box Elder Burl/Woodchuck
bebw.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

How does this compare to the Ci2 or Ci0? I've been interested in a carbide tool but haven't researched them enough yet.

nava1uni

I have a Woodchuck and it is a great tool. I have been turning bowls with it and the wood cuts like butter. I was having trouble using a bowl gouge, but the Woodchuck has made a difference. It has taken practice, but it has been an easy learning curve.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I happen to have 2 Woodchucks and they are both fantastic tools to use. These tools have saved a lot of time for me when I am removing a lot of wood from a blank, but they also work very well for gently removing a little bit while finishing my cuts. I have used them from start to finish on many pens and they usually leave a very smooth finish with little sanding needed. The man that makes these tools (Ken) is a great guy and is willing to work with you on any issues you may have and wants any ideas you may have to improve the tool and make working with them easier. These tools can hold either a straight or a radius cutter head and the edge seems to last a long time with no sharpening required, just turn the cutter 90 degrees and you have a brand new edge ready to go. I have used these for all types of soft and hard woods, acrylics, trustone, and aluminum with excellent results on all materials. These are some of the better tools I have bought since they do the work of so many different turning tools. While this tool does not have a lot of shiny chrome and some pretty scrolling or engraving on it, it does have everything that I actually use for turning and that is what matters most to me. Great tool and would recommend them to any turner, new or experienced.

Top Bottom