Mini Review Wagner Texturing tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

While at the Utah symposium this year, the Wagner texturing tools caught my eye. There are 3 tools that come in 2 sizes and two different TPI. The demonstrator made it look so easy and everybody looking was able to walk right in and try the tool. I was impressed with no experience with the tool, you were able to make acceptable results the very first time, and after several attempts, you felt like a pro.

Definitely works better on soft woods than hard. But when I got back I tried it on some cocobolo shaving brushes. I had to bear down a little harder, but the results were good. When you have to apply more pressure, it is easier to start your tool below your work and push up on the tool. This gives you more leverage with apply pressure. Also, you need to keep your tool rest well back in order to make room for the cutter head.

Cuts look better when you recess around the texture. There is no sanding required on the texture, other than taking a very firm bristle tooth brush and give it a second or two on the cut to remove the dust and chips.

I tried it on a cocobolo pen to add texture to the grip section, but was not happy with the results. You can vary the pattern of your texture by the angle you hold the tool and if you are using a pushing cut or a side cut or a scraping action.

Overall, I was impressed for a 40.00 tool that you can pick up and use the very first time with no set up. It will work real good for spinning tops, bottle stoppers, lidded boxes and I am sure a lot of things.

Most of these colored tops were cut by passersby using the tool for the first time. The color was applied using a felt tip pen. So if you need to make some texture, this sure is an easy way to do it. :)

Attachments

• wagner_ttols.jpg
    wagner_ttols.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 734
  • wagner_tool.jpg
    wagner_tool.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 826
  • wagner_tool_brush3.jpg
    wagner_tool_brush3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,415
  • wagner_tool_brush2.jpg
    wagner_tool_brush2.jpg