Mini Review Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

It works-----Like many other folks I have tried just about everything on earth to make soft punky blanks useable. The search is over, Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser works.
If I wanted to find fault---I think more emphasis should be made on safety----wearing gloves---well ventilated work area. I would not use this product insde your home.
Blanks do have a long curing time before they are dry---you aint using the blanks the same day you process them. They take several days to cure.
Bottom line---as soon as I can find the money I am buying some.
The blank is dyed Buckeyed Burl with just a drop of green dye. I wanted to see if I could pull dye all the way through the blank.

Attachments

• IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 975
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
thanks for the review Gary...!...glad to hear it works.

On another note, is there a 'howto' on making _just_ a vacuum out of the HF pots that are being used. I can find a pressure/vacuum setup, but can't seem to find one that is only setup for using vacuum. Probably just dummy me, either can't find it, and/or admitting I am no good when it comes to making things like that ;(

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Gary, how many blanks go you estimate can be stabilized by a quart of the ultraseal?

John, you can use a pressure and vacuum setup for just vacuuming. To make one, just leave the pressure gauge off, they are the same thing when you use the HF pot.

Gary Max

Wolftat-----I did 35 blanks with a quart----that was going to be my first question.
85% of the blanks where Spalted-- Dry-- almost rotten --maple.
Dry wood is going to be a key factor.
I have a Vac Chamber/Oven----:biggrin:
I one I really want to turn----I only did one of them----Red Oak Burl

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You can realy easily make a vacuum chamber out of a pickle jar. I actually prefer the pickle jar so that I can see what is going on inside. The way I did it was to cut a square piece of MDF a little bigger than the top of the jar. I then drilled and tapped a hole in the middle and threaded in a connector to conect my vac line. Next I used some of the foam carpet tape and applied it on the side that contacts the jar. This works well as a seal to keep from loosing a vacuum.

Then just place the piece on top of the jar and start the vacuum. It will suck down and create a good seal.

Rifleman1776

Thanks for the report. I probably should not have read it because I am a tester/reviewer for the company and have not yet tried it. My set-up isn't complete and I have been distracted by other things recently.
BTW, I hope the old pickle jar/glass/safety issue doesn't get stirred up again.
I'm using paint pots with an open glass jar inside. No pressure on the jar.

Gary Max

Frank----your jar will work just fine.

Please wear latex gloves----the way this stuff penatrates wood is unreal.

I did make a mistake-----I did a batch up using way to much Blue dye----seems to be slowing down the curing time----of course it's only 55 degrees here.
This stuff likes heat to complete the hardening process.

sbell111

I'm definietly going to have to pick up some of that stuff.

Slowly but surely, our shops become less 'woodshop' and more 'secret lab'.

Gary Max

If I can sell enough of the Blue Blanks I have listed I am going to buy a gallon.
First thing----Snakewood
Lets see how good this stuff really is---:)

Oh Steve--- I already have a real Lab oven / high presure chamber.
It's a 1950's model ----but work fine.

Top Bottom