Testimonial -- Woodchuck Pen Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulSF

This tool ought to be illegal. Nothing can be that good without being illegal!

I just bought one, and I started using it even though I don't have a proper handle for it yet. And it's AMAZING. PR has been my nemesis, sending me back and forth to the bench grinder numerous times just to round the darn blank. I turned a PR blank to round in just a few minutes with the Woodchuck. I had to stop myself from taking the entire blank down to chips and dust, I was having so much fun.

And now I've turned it down to the size I want, and I think I might just start my sanding with...micromesh. Yes, you read that correctly. Micromesh. It's that smooth.

This tool ought to be illegal. I'm calling the cops.

skywizzard

Paul,
I have the older model of the standard woodchuck and have experienced the same thing. I find that I often only use a skew for final shaping of the blank ends. Properly used the woodchuck can leave a surface that requires little to no sanding. I often start with 400 paper. But... if you are too aggressive, the chuck can take chunks out of PR and especially some of the harder resins.

PaulSF

I did discover a small chip, right at the edge of the blank where it meets the bushing. I've put a little dab of thick CA on that, and will try to shave it down tomorrow.

Mark

Very cool. I've found the same with acrylics. Finished turning with the Woodchuck Pen Pro and go straight to MM, polish and wax.

My sand paper is feeling neglected.. :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom