Full Review Surface Saver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
REVIEW: FastCap's Surface Saver

Product description from manufacturer's website:
"Protect your workbench, tools, and furniture. Surface Saver is a professional cutting mat that is made from a super tough clear PVC. It can be cut, hammered and glued on thousands of times protecting your bench and tools for a lifetime."

MSRP:
4' X 8' $163.90 with free shipping
2' X 4' $53.90 plus shipping

I received a 4' X 8' Surface Saver from FastCap at no cost, to evaluate for applications to penturning. It arrived via UPS in a 50" x 10" X 10" box weighing about 50 lbs. Not exactly light weight, but still manageable for most people. Unrolling the mat took some doing as my shop was a mess to start with and the Surface Saver is somewhat stiff. I unbolted the lathe and extension from countertop and laid the Surface Saver over the top. It was easy to cut, I used a new utility knife bade and made two passes with it. Then I poked holes in the PVC where the lathe bolts would go and bolted the lathe and extension back down. That only took about a half hour.
Reading the product description, I wanted to know what they mean by "It can be GLUED on thousands of times…" I always have CA glue dribbles and spots all over my work area no matter how much wax paper or rags I lay down. Let me tell you, NOTHING sticks to this Surface Saver! Tape, epoxy, gum, wood stain, paint, all come off with just a wipe with a rag and some Windex or Simple Green. CA glue did take alittle elbow grease, but I did not have to resort to scraping with a razor blade.
I think the best part of the Surface Saver is the protection it gives to my carbide tools. I am always laying them on the countertop under the lathe, where they proceed to roll around, hitting the cutting edges against anything else that has accumulated under and around my lathe. The ¼" PVC keeps the tools from moving and protects the tips.
The next thing I noticed about this mat is the ability to absorb vibration from the lathe. My stand has 6 all-way locking casters with rubber wheels. It usually has no vibration problems until I turn something larger than 4" diameter and somewhat out of balance. With the Surface Saver between the lathe and the countertop, it acts as a resilient buffer to dampen out all the vibration.
Is it worth the money? I believe it is for the 2' X 4' piece. Unless you really need a 4' X 8' section just get the smaller one for under your lathe. It has plenty of space to accommodate the lathe and at least one extension. If FastCap had not given me one to try, I would have bought one on my own.

Attachments

• 20140727_0012.jpg
    20140727_0012.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 20140727_0013.jpg
    20140727_0013.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 326

BSea

I like having HDPE sheets around. Almost as slick as teflon, but a lot cheaper. You can get a 2'x4' x 1/4" sheet at US Plastics for $ 28.99:

HDPE 24" x 48" 1/4" Thick | U.S. Plastic Corp.

CA comes off easily, plus it's tough.

Gary
That's not a bad idea. But is there any need to get anything thicker than 1/16"? It's just a protective surface. I have formica on my lathe table. When I replace it, I'll probably use this stuff. I could even see 1/32" as enough, but it cost more than the 1/16".

2 sheets of 24" x 48" x 1/16" =$35 shipped to my zip code. Not bad

Actually, I can really see this as a surface to cast PR & alumilite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom