Mini Review Pen Press / Drilling Jig - Rockler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PAPenman

Rockler Pen Press - Drilling Jig ~ Putting it to work I quickly found several quirks with it.

1. The wheel loosened from the shaft after a short time, nothing a little locktite won't fix.
  2. It didn't operate smoothly and it seems as lubricating the threads would just invite sawdust to clog the threads.
  3. The operation of pressing a pen I found to be awkward trying to locate the holes in the recessed area. Ouch cut the back of my hand on the sharp edges of the extruded aluminum. Hmmm, did that several times over the course of 20 pens. The wheel is to small to exert enough pressure easily.
  4. At the 21st pen I noticed the cap had gotten marred by the press as the finish had already worn off the press in that area.
On the bright side, customer service was fast and pleasant and they are sending me a shipping label to return it on them.

My advice on this one is to stay away.

Attachments

• penpress1.jpg
    penpress1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 969
  • penpress2.jpg
    penpress2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 704
  • hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 792
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew Arndts

Rockler Pen Press - Drilling Jig ~ Putting it to work I quickly found several quirks with it.

1. The wheel loosened from the shaft after a short time, nothing a little locktite won't fix.
  2. It didn't operate smoothly and it seems as lubricating the threads would just invite sawdust to clog the threads.
  3. The operation of pressing a pen I found to be awkward trying to locate the holes in the recessed area. Ouch cut the back of my hand on the sharp edges of the extruded aluminum. Hmmm, did that several times over the course of 20 pens. The wheel is to small to exert enough pressure easily.
  4. At the 21st pen I noticed the cap had gotten marred by the press as the finish had already worn off the press in that area.
On the bright side, customer service was fast and pleasant and they are sending me a shipping label to return it on them.

Thanks for the heads up. I would think that hopefully Rockler will take your information and correct the issues you had.

LarryDNJR

I have one, I use it, I love it. Got mine on sale at $69.99 online from Rockler.

Only issues I've had with it are yes shavings/dust etc get inside the big threaded area. I have an idea to fix that and will post something when I do. The other issue is the threads holding the plates in place loosened. No biggie sometimes you have to tighten things. I think the wheel size is just fine. I can clamp it down tight enough, the issue sometimes is being able to loosen it sometimes.

Despite these minors issues I am satisfied with my purchase and use of it. Oh and my Dad got one as well. No complaints. He even mounted his to a circular plate and it just drops into place on his drill press table and lifts out for easy removal. Right now I use 2 small clamps to hold mine in place until he works on a round plate for mine.

edfarmer67

I just picked one up this weekend. Drilled a few pen blanks with it, so far im impressed.
I will not be using it to press pens together. I feel that this vice is far better than woodcraft pen drilling vice. When stuff loosens up i will be using loctite.

sbwertz

I bought this one but took it back and bought a separate vise and pen press. It worked ok as a vise but I didn't like the pen press

CJWood

I just picked this up on sale, and absolutely love it. I was using a small vice that I lined with Painters Tape to avoid metal contact. I love how this one holds the blank and the blowout pad at the bottom.

monark88

Use it on the drill press and get a 1 ton press. I got one a month ago from HF. Best investment so far, for putting pens together.

I noticed after a few pens that the Rockler press was allowing me to press to hard on the pens and consequently I cracked 5 pens before I realised it.

CREID

I just gave up on drill presses and jigs, I use the lathe to drill with now and love the results.
Curt

RonRoss

My 2x2 oak pieces with a small wedge cut out in the middle of them seems to be working well. Takes a little more time to tighten the wing nuts to the threaded shafts holding them together, but so far speed isn't a concern.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Back to the original review............problem #2 is easily solved.

Motorcycle shops sell a teflon lube for chains that is a dry lube, comes in a spray can. Comes out wet but dries quickly to not have dirt and crap stick to it.

Top Bottom