Feedback on Constant Laubscher's Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I received two dyed and stabilized blanks from Constant. One was an "Orange Flame" curly maple, one was an "Ocean Blue" buckeye burl. I had absolutely no trouble cutting, drilling, squaring or turning either blank.

I turned the curly maple blank first. It presented no problems. I made a modified slimline out of it. The orange dye color was consistent throughout the blank. For a finish on this pen I ran it through the Beall buffing process. I'm very satisfied with this blank.:biggrin:

Next was the Ocean Blue Buckeye Burl. I had no problem cutting, drilling or squaring the blank. I felt I had to apply some CA after rounding it, which is really not unusual. There were several large voids in the blank which allowed the tube to show :confused:. I filled these with some tinted epoxy (wish I would have gotten it a little darker). Again, not unusual, it is a burl:). It turned very nicely. I made a chrome cigar pen out of this which I finished with CA. Again, the color remained rich throughout the blank. There is only one little spot on the finished pen, about the size of a bb, that appears to be the natural wood. I didn't even notice it until after it was finished and assembled. I took both pens to work with me today and just laid them on my desk. Everyone who came in the office made
complimentary comments about both pens, but especially the Burl Cigar.

I think Constant has some winners here. I would recommend them and will be purchasing dyed burls from him in the future. In fact, I think I will head over to LazerLinez right now:biggrin:.

Thanks Constant. If you or anyone else has any questions feel free to PM me.

Oh yea.....as always feedback on my work :good::bad:is always appriciated.

Attachments

• Upon arrival.jpg
    Upon arrival.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Rounded Orange.jpg
    Rounded Orange.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Shavings.JPG
    Shavings.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 329
  • vods.jpg
    vods.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 394
  • burl rounded.JPG
    burl rounded.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 337
  • Slimline.jpg
    Slimline.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Slimline 2.jpg
    Slimline 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Cigar.jpg
    Cigar.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 373
  • cigar 2.jpg
    cigar 2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The Ocean buckeye is beauty you did a great job on it.
Thanks. I wish my photography skills were better. I forgot to mention that this was the first CA finish I did that I was satisfied with. In the past I've always ended up sanding the CA off and using Plexi-tone. It took very nicely to this wood.

Top Bottom