Constant's test blank - Stabilized Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Emaxx3

I figured I would "borrow" this format as it seems easy to follow.

Constant sent me a couple blanks to test: Stabilized Buckeye Burl - Natural & Red

For the record, I am a novice turner. Only been turning for a little while and have done some PR blanks (from Exotic), Woodcraft's acrylic blanks, and a lot of different exotic woods. This is my first experience with stabilized wood.

Out of the package: very nice, very square.

Cutting the blank: I use a bandsaw to cut the blanks and didn't feel much difference between these blanks and acrylic and wood blanks. For the record, I prepped some acrylic blanks from Woodcraft, some purple heart and the test blanks from Constant.

Drilling: easier than the acrylic, the waste was almost powdery (like saw dust). Since I have never turned a stabilized wood before, my expectations were that the blank would be more acrylic like than wood - not the case here. Minor pitting and voids in the drilled holes. Filled with CA and re-drilled later. I used 5 min epoxy to glue the tubes.

Trimming: used a barrel trimmer in a jacobs chuck on the lathe. This is my new favorite way of trimming blanks. The blanks trimmed up nicely... more acrylic like than the PH. I noticed some small voids in the wood and a large crack on the red one. I filled them with CA and allowed them to set.

Turning: I started with a natural colored blanks and started with the roughing gouge. (I turned an acrylic and PH blank first to sense the difference). First few passes to knock off the edges and away I went. Turned like wood... very fast. I was able to get it to shape and final size quickly... didn't even need to use the skew. I used my normal wood finish (CA and BLO).

Remember above I mentioned a crack I saw when trimming the red one? Well... my CA repair must not have penetrated all the way. Sure enough, the bank exploded. After seeing how good the natural one looked, I was excited to check out the red one. I still have the other half... Sierra. I did not prep that half, will now though.

Color: Red color penetrated all the way... a couple of the "eyes" showed as natural color when I got turning (before destruction).

Finishing: CA + BLO... I am getting it down real good now. Looks like plastic. Love it.

Summary: I like the product... wish the red one didn't blow up on me. Going to do the other half and see how it looks. The natural color is awesome. Even my mother in law loved it (and she only like the acrylics I have done). Oh, and the smell is not like anything I have turned before... really weird. Probably should have used a mask.

Thanks you Constant! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry about the quality of the photos... I will take better ones when I get the photo tent set back up. These photos really stink... but it shows that I did turn the blank. :)

Thanks!
Jon

Attachments

• DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

fernhills

test

I`m a bad guy for a review, a man of few words. The material turned great, one chip in the barrel early on and it disappeared as it was turned closer to it final form. I was impressed, it turned like butter not hard and brittle at all like some Acrylics. I the took the test one step further and turned a small part, that is where burls become hard to do because of the voids and it being brittle and the peice being tiny. I turned and replaced the finial with the stablized buckeye burled and it worked effortlessly. I have another one of contant`s blanks to do yet, A curly maple dyed green, searching for right kit, the blank is an inch square. Thanks for letting me work with your products. Carl

Attachments

• 20090908_1.jpg
    20090908_1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 287
  • 20090908_2.jpg
    20090908_2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 20090908_3.jpg
    20090908_3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 275
Top Bottom