Well...1/2 of you were right

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlame1984

After much debate with myself and reading the polarized reviews of Grizzly lathes, I bought one...a day that will live in infamy. Grizzly model G0626 10". It was doomed from the start. I plugged it in and threw the switch and it slung the belt. I inspected the unit and discovered the motor pulley was diagonal in comparison to the top. It turned out to be a casting flaw that wouldn't allow the motor to sit flat. Also the tailstock had soooo much play in it that the points on the centers could deviate to either side by 1/8". The head stock pulley was poorly machined and was also porous. The lock knob for the motor adjuster was stripped and the opening on the bottom to adjust the belt at the motor pulley wouldn't allow you to get your hand in it to move the belt :confused:. Needless to say I sent it back. To their credit they were prompt in issuing me a refund. I bought a Delta 46-455 MIDI instead.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Sorry to hear about your problem w/the Grizzly lathe, glad you got it taken care of...

...I purchase a Grizzly tablesaw a number of years ago, when i went to the delivery point to pick it up, the box had huge holes in both ends and the packing was partially crushed...i wouldn't accept it...called Grizzly and told them the package looked like it had been poked with forklift blades...they shipped out a new one and was received within the week...customer service was polite...

BKelley

I have had a 7x12 Grizzly metal lathe for almost 2 yrs. now and not the slightest problem. I have had no experience with it that would cause me to regret buying it. I am not making replacement parts for a Rolex watch nor parts for our space program, but for making pens it is a super good little lathe.

Ben

PenMan1

In the long run, you'll be happy that the Grizzly crapped out on day one. A longer time might have made it more difficult for you to get your money back.

I have the "big brother" of your Delta, and it is the pride of the fleet!

FWIW: The Grizzly micro metal lathes should be fine as they are made by a different manufacturer. IIRC, Microlux actually makes the Grizzly metal lathes, as well as the HF lathes.

The Grizzly wood lathes were made General, who makes the lathes in different colors for several different vendors.

Last edited:

sbell111

I am in the camp that sometimes a company provides some awesome tools and some that are best avoided. Through the experiences of others, we learn which tools are the good ones and which aren't. That being said, I have no idea what lathe we are talking about. Grizzly's G0626 was a downdraft table that they apparently don't offer any more. Perhaps it was a stinker, also.

Is G0624 the lathe in question?

jlame1984

I am in the camp that sometimes a company provides some awesome tools and some that are best avoided. Through the experiences of others, we learn which tools are the good ones and which aren't. That being said, I have no idea what lathe we are talking about. Grizzly's G0626 was a downdraft table that they apparently don't offer any more. Perhaps it was a stinker, also.

Is G0624 the lathe in question?

Yes sorry that is the one. 10" wood lathe

Sorry you had such problems and serious ones. I bought one of there 14" bandsaw and it worked like a charm from the get go. I guess it all depends on which side of china the tool comes from.

Cherie

After much debate with myself and reading the polarized reviews of Grizzly lathes, I bought one...a day that will live in infamy. Grizzly model G0626 10". It was doomed from the start. I plugged it in and threw the switch and it slung the belt. I inspected the unit and discovered the motor pulley was diagonal in comparison to the top. It turned out to be a casting flaw that wouldn't allow the motor to sit flat. Also the tailstock had soooo much play in it that the points on the centers could deviate to either side by 1/8". The head stock pulley was poorly machined and was also porous. The lock knob for the motor adjuster was stripped and the opening on the bottom to adjust the belt at the motor pulley wouldn't allow you to get your hand in it to move the belt :confused:. Needless to say I sent it back. To their credit they were prompt in issuing me a refund. I bought a Delta 46-455 MIDI instead.

We own Grizzly G0624 10" Benchtop lathe that we can add on to. I have been making pens for about 6 months on it now with no problems. In fact our planner, and floor drill press ate also Grizzly and have not had any problems with any of them. I am so sorry to hear that this one is giving you problems. Can you take it back and get your money back? I sure hope so and wish you luck on the next lathe you purchase.

Top Bottom