Turncrafter Commander.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

I am by no means an expert on lathes but I can tell you the pro's and con's from what I do know.

My girlfriend got her tax return and wanted to do something nice for me and she knew I was looking at this lathe so she told me to order it.

I turned a few pens on it and I will list pros and cons below but first I have to mention my Skew dilemma. The lathe I have been using is a small grizzly mini lathe. On the fasted speed I still was unable to use a skew chisel so I gave up thinking it was my technique. WRONG! I tried it out on the turncrafter at 3500 rpm and it cut like butter! Here is my review:

Pro's:

1. Auto variable speed (much better than manually changing the belt)
  2. Digital readout (takes away the guessing)
  3. More control when turning
  4. Comes with 2 tool rests one longer than the other
  5. Attached tool caddy (comes in handy)
  6. Attached work-light helps for a better view of workpiece
  7. Heavy-duty which ads stability
  8. Easy access to belt as well as other parts for maintenance +++++++++
Con's

1. When turning I notice a clicking so I blew into the motor and it stopped which tells me that the motor is in such a position where debris easily falls in. I'll just keep an eye on it and blow it out after turning.
  2. Thats all I could think of.

Overall, I love this lathe. Very happy with the purchase and when I called PSI I asked for a coupon code and she gave me one for $30.00 off plus I had a $50.00 gift-card so I was able to save her $80.00.

tclathe.jpg

TOTAL REGULAR PRICE: $339.95

Specification Description

Horsepower:
3/4HP
Material Type:
Cast Iron
Brand:
Turncrafter Commander
Volts:
110V
Footprint:
31 x 7-1/4
Pulley Steps:
Speed (RPM):
500-3800RPM
Headstock Thread:
1" x 8tpi
Headstock Taper:
#2MT
Tailstock Taper:
#2MT
Distance between Centers:
18"
Swing over Bed:
10"
Tool Post Diameter:
5/8"
Extension Bed Available:
Y

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pioneerpens

Thanks for the review!
I have been looking at this one and it sure helps to hear how well or not someone likes it and if it performs as well as we'd like.
Thanks and Congrats on the new lathe!!!

USAFVET98

Thanks.. Everyone told me to hold off and get a Jet but I am sure everyone including those who said that would agree that it all depends on how it works for the turner. I heard mixed emotions and while I can appreciate the push towards Jet, I really wanted this lathe. The look caught my eye and after reading up and doing research, I had to find out for my self. I am glad I did.

broitblat

The lathe has good specs, but I had some concern about how well it was built.

I'm glad to hear it's built well and works well for you. Enjoy.

-Barry

Dan Henry

I had an opportunity to turn on this lathe at a demo did lately and observed the following. The tail stock quell seamed to be a little sloppy in the casting. The 1 X 8 threads were sorta rough, my chuck and a shop threaded jig did not turn on as smoothly as on my jet and the tool holder got in the way of the tail stock lock down Handel.
Other than these items it seamed to be OK.

Dan

Jeff Barnett

I purchased this lathe and returned it the next day. I was really excited as this lathe specs out nice and looks nice(online). I know that everyone is looking for something different in a lathe and that some end up with a bad egg but I wanted to post my experience with the turncrafter commander 10" VS.

Pro's
1.Packaged well and arrived in one piece.
2.Very heavy and I didn't see a need to bolt it to the bench.
3. Comes with a heavy duty 60* live center.
4. 3/4 hp VS motor
5. nice pull out handles for moving the lathe.

Cons.
1. Tail stock did not line up with the headstock.
2. side to side play in the tailstock.
3. Stickers falling off right out of the box.
4. Very cheap plastic pulley system and thin belts.
5. Digital read out read almost 5000 rpms at max speed???
6. There was something out of balance in the headstock so no matter which accessory I installed spun out of balance.
7. paint was peeling off out of the box.
8. Very rough threads on the head stock.

I may have just got a bad egg so no offense to any turncrafter owners this is just my experience. I will say that PSI was happy to return it and they paid shipping back to them.

To me it all comes down to overall bang for the buck. A quality tool is becoming harder and harder to find. I ended up with the Delta 12 vs. The difference in overall quality was worth the extra money.

Just after the first of the this year I purchased the Turncraft Commander shown in this thread. The lathe I had before this one had an RPM variable speed control range of from 300 to 3200 with not pullies or belts to change. I loved this machine. Then the motor gave it up. So I decided to up grade. I bought the Commander from PSI. This lathe was heavier than the old one which is one thing I liked. But the motor has a step pully system that goes from 500 rpm to 1550 rpm on the lower step pully. The next pully with higher rpm's goes from 1340 rpm's to 4475 rpm's. I dislike the lower rpm and the belt change. You try to apply ca glue or any other finishing coating with the lathe going at 1340 rpm's. What a mess, I miss my old machine. I tried calling tech support to question the operation of this machine, this guy I talked to didn't know whether her was a foot or horseback. That deal went no where. I am going to try to put a resister in line with the speed controler in an attempt to slow it down to just under 500 rpm's and top out just over 3000 rpm with the belt on the high speed pullies. If this doesn't work out I'll sell the unit and get one that I know will do what I want. Obviously I am very disatisfied with the unit and the person I talked too at PSI. I do deal a lot with PSI and have had great service from the folks at PSI except with this service tech.

PenMan1

I hope it works well for you. Please keep us updated. This lathe has been on the questionable list since it's introduction. I hope they have the kinks worked out.

jzerger

Multi-speed turncrafter commander

I've had mine (my first ever lathe) for a little over a year and have turned a couple hundred pen/pencils on it and have no complaints (but nothing to compare it to). Of course, I only use two speeds ON and OFF.
Seems to work...
john

mjsix1

I am a relatively new turner and purchased a 10" VS Commander in January 2013 as my 1st (and currently only) lathe. I have nothing to compare it to, but I must admit that I like this lathe. I have turned several pens (and even sold a pen and pencil set), several bowls, and even a mushroom or two. It seems to run smooth to me. The VS works well and is used often. I have been teaching myself this craft by viewing videos on youtube, and so far, it seems to work as well as any of other the lathes I observed in the videos. The price seems right, the features seem adequate, and I'm having fun. So, I would recommend this lathe to others seeking an entry level tool.

Adillo303

My first lathe was a turncrafter 12. I turned on it for a year and a half. I even added the bed extension and turned a 42 " 3" diameter ravioli roller.

I had a problem in the banjo would not lock well. PSI sent me a rebuikd kit no hassle and it fixed the problem.

I did find the tailstock fit between the ways to be sloppy but manageable. I got the 12 over the 10 to get the extra horsepower. Afterall, it's really about the motor.

I have a new Jet 1642 EVS-2. I kept the Turncrafter for drilling blanks and polishing. It did a lot if work and is still running strong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom