Trend Airshield Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Although this is not comprehensive, it is my recent experience after purchasing and using the Trend Airshield Pro for one month.

I was having respiratory problems that were getting worse and finally, after turning some indian rosewood even with a dust collector, had to take a break from turning to find a healthy solution.

I bought this item from Amazon at the following link address:
http://www.amazon.com/DEAL-Q4-Airsh...Y5B2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304525005&sr=8-1

I have seen better deals since I've purchased it, but nothing much under $300

Since using the Trend Airshield Pro I haven't had any respiratory issues. I put it on, turn it on and keep it on the whole time I'm working in the shop. I spend about three to fours hours a day in the shop about four days a week.

Here are the CONS I have experienced:
* The helmet is a bit top heavy. It took me a good week to get used to it - but it has resulted in some stronger neck muscles.
* It is NOT a complete sealed environment. While it does a great job - I think it's good to know that air flows out through a vented place under the chin. I have noticed a very slight whiff of CA smell when working with CA glue. So it's not impermeable.
* There is a very slight mirrored reflection of my face in the shield. I don't notice it anymore, but it was enough that I thought it should be mentioned.

Here are the PROS
* I breathe filtered clean air. I have experienced NO respiratory irritation since wearing it and I sleep better at night. (less snoring)
* I wear glasses and find it comfortable to wear them under the Trend
* My glasses do not fog up. My exhale passes through and out the bottom and I breathe in clean air. I'm a coffee drinker and I can't even smell the bad coffee breath - which I can smell when wearing other respirators (other respirators are uncomfortable to wear with glasses and cause fogging)
* My eyes are protected from the CA fumes. I might catch an occasional whiff of CA, but nothing like I used to.
* The battery life is long.
* I did not find the helmet to be noisy - but take into consideration that I use a dust collector and wear earplugs to protect my hearing.

I bought the Trend Airshield Pro with the external battery cradle. I realized after purchasing that the cradle wasn't necessary because the helmet can be plugged in while not in use. However I have left the battery in the helmet without recharge to see how long it would last. It took two weeks of use (approx 3hrs a day 4 to 5 days a week) before the beeping sound which indicates a need for recharge. I haven't found it necessary to buy an alternate battery, but could do this to have a charged battery waiting in the wings. I did not buy the connectable ear protection - the reviews were not good on them and I have little ear plugs that I wear. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and now I breathe clearly.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Finatic

I have one also and realy enjoy it. It is positive pressure, so the ca smell is not coming in from under, but through the filter. No biggie for me, but if the ca bothers you, a filter for organics would most likely fix it.

MartinPens

Ah, that is good to know. Thanks for the info. I'll look into different filters available. Never really considered what filters it comes with and what is available. Thanks

Martin

BSea

After my 1st reaction to CA, I considered this. But so far the one I bought at HD with a filter for organics has worked fine for me. However, I am interested to see if this one has a filter for organics.

Martin, did you use a respirator that filtered out organics before? You mentioned using one, but didn't identify what you used prior to the Trend.

Rangertrek

Martin, nice review on the air shield. I have one also and understand about the neck muscles. This is a great product and I use it for almost all my wood turning.

Its important to note this is "not" a respirator, it does not have positive seals to your face. Its and air flow device and some fumes may come inside the face mask area.

MartinPens

BSea said:
After my 1st reaction to CA, I considered this. But so far the one I bought at HD with a filter for organics has worked fine for me. However, I am interested to see if this one has a filter for organics.

Martin, did you use a respirator that filtered out organics before? You mentioned using one, but didn't identify what you used prior to the Trend.

I didn't really pay much attention before about filters. I bought a respirator from Rockler and just used the filters that came with it.
I know the Trend is not a respirator, but it is certainly doing a great job as I am not experiencing the side effects of irritated sinuses and lungs.
I am looking into the filters for organics.

Thanks for the comments.

Martin

greggas

Thanks for taking the time to write this review Martin...I have pondered purchasing one for a year or two and am getting close to pulling the trigger...your write-up may just push me into action

thanks agin

Top Bottom