Mini Review Tormek Bench Grinder Mount - BGM-100

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I posted this on SMC so those who read it there -- sorry :redface: and you need read no more (I changed a few words but nothing material)...those who didn't read on SMC read as much as you can stand....

Summary:

Highly recommended if you prefer to sharpen on a Tormek, you already have a bench grinder and you want to save time shaping tool grinds. If you have a Wolverine or similar (or freehand sharpen) and are happy with grinder shaping/sharpening then the BGM-100 offers no value to you.

The reason I bought it:

I worked 45 minutes on the Tormek using a new SB-250 stone trying to re-shape a new Lacer 5/8" skew. I wanted a radius grind using standard TTS-100/SVS-50 settings. I gave up when it seemed I was about 50% done. I saw the BGM-100 info on the Tormek site, purchased and installed on my Woodcraft slow speed grinder. I re-shaped the skew on the grinder in about 5 minutes. My grinder and Tormek wheels are a different diameter so I spent another 10 minutes finish sharpening on the Tormek. In my experience, future sharpenings will only take a couple of minutes with standard TTS-100 and SVS-50 settings (TTS hole B, SVS-50 30*, P=65mm). I'm happy!

A question on SMC was "Would I have purchased the SB-250 blackstone if I already had the grinder mount?" Answer is no -- I bought the SB-250 hoping it would be faster shaping grinds...in my experience not enough to matter. I don't regret buying the new stone because it does sharpen HSS a bit faster and it resists "grooving" more than the stock stone (I'm too heavy-handed when I sharpen).

More info if you haven't drifted off yet:

To be clear, I am a newbie turner so take these comments in that context:

Pros:
  • Fast re-shaping using your normal Tormek jigs (45 minutes + as I never finished on the Lacer skew down to 15 minutes total (5 on grinder, another 10 on Tormek))
  • Typical Tormek excellent fit & finish
  • After I studied the diagrams about 15 minutes, another 30 minutes to install for me because I already had my grinder on a platform -- I did have to shift the grinder to the left 45 mm to accommodate the mount.
Cons:
  • A bit pricey at ~$57, but that does include a tool rest/universal support (US-105 - $38 value) and anyone using a Tormek knows the benefit of an extra tool support arm! You can buy the XB-100 horizontal mount for $23 if you want to save and don't need another tool support (install instructions are on the tormekusa website)
  • Instructions are a bit spotty, but the diagrams/dimensions are reasonably clear. I had to derive the location of mount relative to the front of the grinder (15 mm - example diagram had mount&block on the edge of an 8" platform for an 8" grinder so not that tough to figure out).
  • Not all Tormek jigs are supported (probably something to do with grinder wheels normally shrouded in a cover) but all those I use for turning tools are: TTS-100, SVD-185 (swept-back gouge jig), SVS-50 (skews and straight gouges) and SVD-110 (tool rest for scrapers)
Neutral:
  • Not sure the best way to get the grinder wheel dressed parallel to the support bar -- I use a LV single point diamond dresser so I just put it in an older SVH-60 straight edge jig to dress the wheel. I thought about using the Tormek truing tool, but (a) I didn't want to risk ruining the truing tool using on the much higher speed grinder and (b) almost no room for support arm adjusting nut movement in this application. The BGM-100 manual recommends a standard diamond wheel dresser but I don't have one.
Some photos of the setup and feel free to ask any questions. I bought mine from Jeff Farris' sharptoolsusa online store.

Attachments

• IMG_6078.jpg
    IMG_6078.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5,312
  • IMG_6081.jpg
    IMG_6081.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,096
  • IMG_6082.jpg
    IMG_6082.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5,957
  • IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 4,065
  • IMG_6096.jpg
    IMG_6096.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,835

Fred

Jim ...

1st - Thanks for a great and informative post. I have been a very pleased and satisfied Tormek owner/user for many years now and found your post educational in that I don't follow the Tormek new additions since I already have what I need for my use in my shop.

2nd - However, I do find your post very useful since I was unaware of the support your post refers to above. This is indeed a very useful addition to the fine line of Tormek devices already available.

I did a Google search on the 'Tormek Bench Grinder Mount - BGM-100' and found your other post listed. Reading down the search results I found the following link http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/index.php.

This link might very well be of interest to other IAP readers that use a grinder to sharpen. Educational information can be gathered from reading the tab on "Using A Bench Grinder." Reading this information should :wink: explain very clearly the benefits anyone obtains from 'shaping' on a bench grinder and THEN 'sharpening' with a device such as the Tormek wet system.

I don't intend to re-open here the age old discussion of "slow and wet" vs "fast and dry." Just trying to show in a bit clearer sense the hugh differences in the two systems and their results as explained from the lengthly experiences of one of the designers/developers (Tormek). :)

Again thanks for your post.

JimMc7

You are welcome, Fred. I agree completely re the "wet vs dry" arguments and I hope others' did not view my post as trying to (re)start that debate -- not my intent at all to try to convert grinder sharpeners to the Tormek! Only intent was to share my experience with a reasonably priced solution to the dreadfully slow Tormek tool grind shaping problem for current Tormek users. Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom