The Test Is Over ... Success Beyond Expectations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Oneida Dust Deputy D.I.Y. - Testing Results A+++++

Today I finished my ten day trial of the Oneida Dust Deputy D.I.Y. unit.

The results are absolutely fascinating to say the least. To be such a simple design this device is just what the doctor ordered when he said that we should all have better dust control.

The Dust Deputy I use in this 'test' is the $59.00 device found here: http://www.dustdeputy.com/

I used a 30 gallon poly drum and cut off the top. - $0.00
I then fashioned an 18" diameter lid out of 3/4" MDF with an appropriately routed grove to fit over the drum. - $5.00 or so ... guesstimate on my part
I applied silicone sealant around the inside of the grove and allowed this to dry completely. It is VITAL that the lid fit airtight with NO LEAKS. Any leaks and the unit will fail to operate properly as Oneida advertises. - $1.00
I cut a 3" centered opening in the MDF, drilled six 5/8" holes and attached the Dust Deputy D.I.Y. unit. - $69.95 with shipping

The unit is setup in-line with my Rigid Shop Vacuum Cleaner as the source of vacuum. (Lathe tool - Drum Mounted Dust Deputy - Rigid Vacuum)

I have vacuumed everything I can find to vacuum in my shop, lathe, floors, shelving, ceiling, light fixtures, etc., even thought about the cat, but figured she is too good a mouser to scare away just yet.

Tonight I emptied the vacuum cleaner. It took me all of 10 seconds to pop the lid and look inside and realize that there is NO DUST to empty. No nothing to even see actually! NOTHING at all!!

I even took the HEPA filter off and went outside with the air hose. All I got was a tiny "poof" of dust and I honestly believe that dust was left over from the previous cleaning I gave the unit prior to this test.

This unit is now permanently installed to use the LocLine flexible hose to vacuum at the lathe tool tips as I turn. I try to gather as much dust and such 'at the source' as that is alway best. I have about 20 feet or so of 2.5" hose so I can reach anywhere I need to with ease.

I am a very happy camper, but of course without pictures I know no one will believe me. All I can say is I wish my digital Nikon were here, but it is not and you all will have to believe me on my word alone. Maybe I can get IAP member Ben Kelly (hint, hint ...) to come over one day and he can back me up on all this.

Another big plus ... entire Oneida setup cost me about less than a $100 dollar bill. The drum I already had so I put it to better use. And the Rigid was already in the shop as well, but it would have been about $200 unless you luck up and can catch it on sale at Home Depot or Lowe's. Six, 1" self tapping bolts ... on hand as well. The 2.5" hose and fittings +/- $35.00.

Health Increases - PRICELESS

This setup will be used in addition to the 4" JET setup I have to catch anything that is 'left over'. Somehow, I have a feeling that the 4" unit will be rather lonely. :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Thank you Fred, just completed my order on one. $60 was tempting, but $40 is nearly irresistible. I have been trying to find plans for one for some time but now I can have a real one for a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing.
Charles

LeeR

Could not resist! Hope I see the box on the porch before my wife sees it. With a really grim tax filing expected this year, I told her no more purchases until 4/16 ... if any!

:biggrin:

louisbry

Sounds great Fred. I know I must be missing something but I am wondering how you empty the 30 gal poly drum since you sealed the top to it.

thanks,

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Sounds great Fred. I know I must be missing something but I am wondering how you empty the 30 gal poly drum since you sealed the top to it.

thanks,

I believe the sealant was dry before placing the lid, it will act as a gasket, not as permanent seal. I think, could be wrong.

Rick_G

I've had one for about 6 months now and will attest to their operation. In the time I've had it I had to clean the hepa filter in the shop vac. once, there was virtually nothing in the shop vac container at all. Before getting this unit I used to have to dump the shop vac and clean the filter at least once a week, now with the cyclone unit on a 5 gal. plastic container, I empty the container maybe once a month and clean the filter once in 6 months. I am now thinking of getting the larger one with 4" inlet and outlet to go with my single stage dust collector.

Fred

Thanks to Daygore for the link to the discount Dust Deputy ... :cool:

For all the systems that I have witnessed that have one of these installed in a pre-separator set-up, nobody is experiencing ANY of the headaches with having to constantly empty and clean their source of vacuum filter.

The unit is such a simple theory that it is almost unbelievable as to the results achieved.

For $40.00 or so everyone should have it in their vacuum line.

As far as emptying my 30 gallon container Hunter-27 is correct in his statement. The sealant was fully cured and is just acting as a large gasket. The MDF lid I made just lifts off as easy as can be.

Now I have to go out to the shop and open my shop vacuum just to look at my clean filter and be sure it is still there. I can't have it feeling all alone ya know!

Rangertrek

I have had mine for about 6 months now. I have it hooked up to a small wall mount shop vac. The performance on mine is not a good as reported above. I believe the small vac does not have enough air flow for the dust deputy to operate at best efficiency. I am expanding my shop and will change to a larger vac system soon.

The dust deputy is a gret product for the money. It definately saves on shop vac filter cleaning and replacement.

Rangertrek

Update on my prior post. I changed out my wall mount shop vac and the new model has much better air flow. The dust deputy is now collecting 95+% of debris in the plastic can. Filters are staying clean, saving some money not buying new ones as often. :)

Top Bottom