Table Saw Search

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rize

I am presently looking for a table saw for segmenting pens. I have researched but the lower priced ones are not accurate and are not reliable according to the reviews. Looking to see what is being used by turners on this site. Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Do you have any limits? Size, price, other? There is alot of options out there, including no table saw. My brother spent a year in Korea during his service and made some stunning segmented pens. All he took with him was a lathe and a chop saw.

Are you planing on any other work? I upgraded my table saw last year but pens are just one piece of the reason. Other projects drove me to get something with bigger cut possibilities and accuracy.

Russianwolf

check for a BT3000 or BT3100 by Ryobi. One of the best small saws for the money and accurate as all get out. You'll have to find a used one, but they are out there. Sears still sells a new version of the saw, but it runs $500 while the used ones can be had for $200 or less.

Last edited:

Woodlvr

Ridgid just introduced a new small version table saw, It looked like it had a decent fence and was pretty decently built. May be worth checking it out. Priced around $299 or lower for Christmas sales.

sbell111

check for a BT3000 or BT3100 by Ryobi. One of the best small saws for the money and accurate as all get out. You'll have to find a used one, but they are out there. Sears still sells a new version of the saw, but it runs $500 while the used ones can be had for $200 or less.
I second this. I've been using a Ryobi BT3000 for a good decade or so with no complaints. That being said, a well planned jig/sled is more important when segmenting than a 'quality' tablesaw, in my opinion.

studioso

I promised myself that if I can ever afford to upgrade my saw it will be only for a stopsaw.
say what you want on the terror advertisement technique but it's worked on me

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If you have the extra money, I highly recomend the Byrnes Table saw. I have one and love it, the best saw for segmenting made as fara s I am concerned.

mb007

+1 on the BT3K saws! I bought my BT3100 about 3 years ago, and have been very happy with it! If you want more info on these saws, check out bt3central.com. There's a classifieds/bargains section where you'll see used saws posted from time to time as well.

Drstrangefart

GET. A. GOOD. ONE. Mine's a cheapo Craftsman bottom of the line number. It works as a table saw, but for small details it's junk. There's some distinct waviness to all of its cuts which are VERY noticeable when something is glued to it. It's a saw I do not trust for much, and as such it's been relegated to a poorly thought out work table and is not plugged in. Dad passed it on to me when he upgraded and we tried it out for some of the work we do with the pens, and NO.

Parson

Consider a quality disk sander for segmenting. The Byrnes model looks good, but it's super expensive. I use my cheapo grizzly brand disk sander to get clean edges when segmenting... The rough work is done with the band saw then taken over to the disk sander to not only get it smooth, but remove that last bit of material safely.

Last edited:

ribanett

If you have the extra money, I highly recomend the Byrnes Table saw. I have one and love it, the best saw for segmenting made as fara s I am concerned.

I have both of Jim Byrnes machines. The table saw and thickness sander and used them both for segmenting blanks. Each one is hand-made and a dream to use.

Jack9580

I would say if money allows to go for a Sawstop.I love the one I have. It was dead on accurate out of the box and still is to this day( Its been about three years since I bought it). And the safety aspect is an added benifit. I could go on all day about it.

Curly

Jack9580 said:
I would say if money allows to go for a Sawstop.I love the one I have. It was dead on accurate out of the box and still is to this day( Its been about three years since I bought it). And the safety aspect is an added benifit. I could go on all day about it.

+1!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

I have both of Jim Byrnes machines. The table saw and thickness sander and used them both for segmenting blanks. Each one is hand-made and a dream to use.
That does help explain the quality of your work. He has a few new machines now too, I was thinking about ordering one of each as a X-mas gift to myself.

Top Bottom