Table Saw Blade Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Focushere

Looking for a Table Saw Blade that cuts so smoothly that I won't have to sand when segmenting. I need one that will work with wood and acrylic. Any Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Besides the Frued there is a Forest II blade thin kerf I use that preforms that well. I also used a 7 1/2 blade on a Makita table saw Im setting up just for just segmentingand small work, that I made the scallops on my last pen with. Its the thinnist kerf I can find. You probably should consider a blade stiffner if you use a 10in blade

sailing_away

I have both the Diablo and the Forest II (with stiffner) . Both blades cut very well. The 80-tooth 10-inch blade Diablo blade was easier to find at the local Home Depot. I believe it was priced a little lower as well. Either blade will serve you well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
several choices

I have both the Diablo and the Forest II (with stiffner) . Both blades cut very well. The 80-tooth 10-inch blade Diablo blade was easier to find at the local Home Depot. I believe it was priced a little lower as well. Either blade will serve you well.
Frued and Forest blades are among the best available and both offer many choices - find a catalog and look through their offerings. You probably do want a very high tooth count and a blade stiffener as suggested above.

tdhove

I have had great luck using a thin kerf crosscut blade from Freud. I was able to pick it up new on Ebay for about $60 new. I bought it because I wanted a great cutoff blade and bought a second for my table saw as it cuts that clean. It is an 80 tooth blade.

Hope this helps,

Troy

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I have several Of the Forrest WW2 blades and a couple of the Freuds and like them all for different reasons. The one I have been using for segmenting is a Diablo by Freud but it's a 7 1/2" blade used on the table saw. Does a super job for around $20 from Dome Despot.
WB

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It's all about the number of teeth and the feed through it.

Scott (Arkysaw people talkin' 'bout teeth....get it?) B

I have about 15 saw blades. Yes, the tooth count does indeed make a difference but not all 80 tooth blades will cut the same, even if the technique is the same.

I have cheap Frued's and they are ok. I also have expensive, industrial quality Frued's and they cut MUCH better, same tooth count. My favorite, for the absolute best cut, is my Tenyru Gold Medal. It is only a 40 tooth blade but it cuts far smoother than any 80 tooth blade I have both in ripping and cross cut. It will leave an absolutely smooth cut with no visible marks. My next favorite is my Leitz blades.

mpex

Few questions:
1.What thickness Kerf do yous recommend?
2.Also, I don't see the Forrest Woodworker 2 that seems to be recommended with an 80 tooth count. What tooth count would be recommended for this series?
3.When I looked at the Freud blades, almost all said they were for Circular saws. Are these also for Table saws?
4.I have a 10" Craftsman table saw. Can I use different size blades? Is it better to use a smaller blade if everything I'm cutting is less than 2" thick and mostly just 1" blanks?
Thanks for any help!!!

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I'm using a '79 Crapsman and for most work I use the Forest WW2, expensive and should only be sharpened by Forest. I have no kerf marks when ripping or cross cutting but I use the 7 1/2" Freud Diablo for segmenting so as not to lose as much material, it has a 1/16" kerf.
WB

Lenny

I agree with Freud and Forest as good brands but in my experience the Diablo version, while a good blade, is a cheaper version in their line. For our purposes as pen makers it makes sense to stick with the thin kerf models. Next you have to ask yourself will I be ripping or cross cutting. If you only want to buy one blade, look at the combinations, probably 40 or 50 teeth. A 80 tooth blade designed for use on a slide compound saw or miter saw will leave a nice cut across the grain but isn't designed for ripping. This is probably the most popular blade for table saws and a good first choice if you only want to buy one blade...
Amazon.com: Freud LU84R011 10-Inch 50-tooth ATB Combination Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating: Home Improvement

alamocdc

I have both a Forrest Woodworker II and several Diablos. I use my Woodworker II for jointing since I don't have a jointer. Very smooth cuts. All of them do great for segmenting.

Top Bottom