Simple Laguna 18/36 Question - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Power Tools & Equipment
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Current-wise you're correct - A 30A MAX receptacle will handle anything up to that. The issue may come with the plug configuration, because even at 220 there are different plug styles... which I think JT is referring to.
Yes that is what I am saying. I showed an example with 120volt outlets in previous post. Wait till you get the lathe and then get back to us when it comes in.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

What is stamped on that outlet is simply the maximum load that piece of hardware is designed to handle. The max load for the circuit is determined by the installed breaker and weight of wire feeding the outlet. Kind of like your car’s speedometer—just because the labels say 160 mph it doesn’t mean the engine and transmission will deliver it.
Earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
KLJ

Photos: 2

I have the Laguna and page ten of owners manual it list 15 amp breaker for both the 110 and 220. The electrician that installed my power to mine said it needed a 20 amp so mine is on a twenty amp breaker. The plug is the smaller type plug not like a welder of clothes dryer I would take picture of it if I could. Looks like a normal plug except the left prong is like a sideways T and the right prong is flat instead of upright if that makes sense. If you want any numbers off the motor or cord let me know I will go look at it. The motor says 5.2 amp. I remember calling Laguna about this, but cant remember good enough to be sure but I think the 15 amp for the 220 was a misprint, but better ask someone that knows more than me.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
I have the Laguna and page ten of owners manual it list 15 amp breaker for both the 110 and 220. The electrician that installed my power to mine said it needed a 20 amp so mine is on a twenty amp breaker. The plug is the smaller type plug not like a welder of clothes dryer I would take picture of it if I could. Looks like a normal plug except the left prong is like a sideways T and the right prong is flat instead of upright if that makes sense. If you want any numbers off the motor or cord let me know I will go look at it. The motor says 5.2 amp. I remember calling Laguna about this, but cant remember good enough to be sure but I think the 15 amp for the 220 was a misprint, but better ask someone that knows more than me.
These are not 220volt outlets They are 120volts

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...p;d=1456094434

Again it all depends on the chord supplied. Is it a locking 20 amp chord and if so then you need a different outlet than shown here for 220V 20 amp. Do not change the cap end to match what outlet you have. This could lead to problems down the road for the next guy.

http://pre-electrician-apprenticeshi...0AmpOutlet.gif
Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
KLJ

Photos: 2

It came from the factory with the 240 volt 20 amp plug. The bottom right picture that is blue. Thanks for the pictures.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I checked online for the Revo 18/36 specs. While it doesn’t list which plug is on the unit, it does list the “recommended “ breaker amperage.
In the initial product list, it says a 20A breaker/ circuit....but if you click on the lathe manual, you will see it says the recommended breaker is 15A....and on another page, it also says 15A as you can see in the photos.

You show a 30A rated receptacle, you don’t tell us what size breaker is feeding that receptacle...nor what size wire. My recommendation like as JT says is to install the appropriate breaker for the lathe...or have an electrician do the job for you. If the existing 30A receptacle is indeed being fed by a 30A breaker, your lathe would run but should there be a short in the cord, motor, switch or electronics, it could overheat and catch fire before tripping the 30A breaker.....the appropriate breaker should trip sooner.

As others say.....wait till you see what the lathe has for a plug. You can get the matching receptacle and appropriate breaker at that time. If in doubt, have an electrician do the job.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
c9a656f5-e41c-4f17-84e6-ebb12fe85d26.jpg   80533ec2-3632-4aae-b598-a82f5ed2ed08.jpg   e488f080-e7b5-4ad7-9dce-f55046381171.jpg  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_W View Post
As others say.....wait till you see what the lathe has for a plug. You can get the matching receptacle and appropriate breaker at that time. If in doubt, have an electrician do the job.
Hope this helps.
This is very good advice.

This question originated in Canada, while the lathe is being shipped from the US. While electrical practices are similar on both sides of the border, there can be subtle differences. For that reason, it would be prudent to wait until the new lathe arrives to see the pin configuration of the plug.

And as others have noted, it may be that the standard in Canada calls for a pin configuration that is different from the lathe - and in that case, the right thing to do is follow the Canadian standard even if that means modifying the lathe.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Should have titled your thread "Not so Simple Laguna 18/36 Question".
Pen Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Zen View Post

Your not kidding.

I have an Electrician coming to relocate my plug to a more convenient location and add 2 more plugs. Going to let a pro handle it for me. :)

Thanks for the info though! I actually learned a lot from this.

Pen Turning on the Rock
NewfoundlandLaw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfoundlandLaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Zen View Post

Your not kidding.

I have an Electrician coming to relocate my plug to a more convenient location and add 2 more plugs. Going to let a pro handle it for me. :)

Thanks for the info though! I actually learned a lot from this.

Pen Turning on the Rock

At least let us know what the outcome was after all this drama. Let him tell you why that outlet was not acceptable. He can explain things better with hands on material.
Logged on members can hide ads