Rikon Variable Speed Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It has been about a year now that my Rikon 70-100 lathe was given the variable speed conversion. The conversion kit was donated to me by Rikon for evaluation purposes and I have put it through some harsh shop conditions. It has been used by about 25 different kids who I work with at the shop and they all love it too. I have used this lathe for everything that I could think of and have tried to destroy it but that didn't happen. This conversion kit is solid as a rock and well worth the money. The actual install was not the easiest thing to do but when I got stuck, I called the tech support at Rikon and not only did I get help, the tech even knew what I was talking about and understood the issue I was having. My lathe was one of the earlier Rikons and was set up a bit different then most so the majority of those out there will not have this issue. The conversion took a little over an hour and a half even with a difficult spot. The parts that were supplied to be used were all top quality and the fit was perfect. I have to admit that in the beginning I felt I didn't need a variable speed lathe and had turned for years without one happily. The conversion was a nice move and I found that I like the speed control a lot better now. I have 3 belt speeds but only use one and can turn anything I want with it. The speed range is from very slow to pretty fast and I don't need to change the belt for any reason I have found. Polishing and sanding works out great and I don't have the acrylic/wood speed problem anymore. Overall, I would give this conversion a 9 out of 10 and since I recently purchased another 70-100 for my shop, I will probably buy another conversion for it as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Thanks for the review, I just bought the kit for my dad and will probably do the conversion this week. Its a gift so I have to get my mother to take him away for a while while I do the work. the trick will be getting it done and him not noticing it until Sunday.

Justturnin

I have the same lathe and added the conversion kit to it (bought the lathe used and the kit came with) and it is amazing. I have not put it through the ringer but am very please with it.

Gilrock

I have the 70-100 Rikon and I looked into the VS kit but got turned off when I saw I'd still be changing belts.

The original belt speeds are 430, 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, 3,900 and the conversion reduces it to 3 belt positions instead of 6 so you get speed ranges of 300-700, 700-1500, 1500-3350.

To be honest I just looked and the conversion kit is $180 and if you buy within the next couple days you can get the entire lathe with the conversion kit already installed for $280. I'm thinking of just buying a second one....would be nice to have a lathe where I can leave my buffing wheels permanently installed. That's a Woodcraft sale BTW.

Last edited:

Justturnin

I have the 70-100 Rikon and I looked into the VS kit but got turned off when I saw I'd still be changing belts.

Don't let the Belts through you off. I keep mine on the fastest and don't move it and adjust my speed w/ the VS controller. If I do it literally take 10 seconds to do it. VS is the bees knees....what?......when it comes to turning. The only think I wish it could do is reverse. I may be wrong and likely am but most VS have some sort of belt to move to take full advantage of the VS.

Gilrock

Yeah I looked at the 70-200 EVS from Rikon and the main difference is some overlap in the speed ranges. I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive.

I'm surprised you say you leave yours in the max range. I tend to have my belt in position 3 most of the time which is 1,230 and I've recently done a couple pens with my PR pours where I did the whole pen at that speed. I sometimes go slower but rarely faster. But then again I might be doing it all wrong since I'm self taught. :)

Gilrock

Maybe I'll have to experiment using some higher speeds...seems like everyone else is turning much faster than I do. I ran down to Woodcraft and got the Rikon variable speed that was on sale...just gotta wait till it gets shipped.

Top Bottom