Rikon 70-100 replaces HF Mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

Being a complete newbie to this sickness, I started out with a $100 HF variable speed mini lathe.

395aa4e9fb64aca0e265ba26776e2181.jpg

After getting hooked on pen turning, I realized the mini was going to hold me back. The tail stock had too much play, and the motor would often stall when drilling blanks. Having to source MT#1 parts also bothered me.

Harbor Freight nicely gave me a full refund with no issues after I'd used the lathe for 6 weeks. After reading lots of reviews here and elsewhere, I picked up a Rikon 70-100 for $399 from Woodcraft yesterday.

c2754bb455ab286b65a404b3fafb14fb.jpg

What an improvement. 5 minutes out of the box and I had this lathe up and running. The alignment was spot on and it's so much more powerful. For $399 I'm very, very happy with this upgrade. Changing belts is very simple and the entire unit is solid and well built.

Anyone need a MT1 drill chuck or mandrel saver? I won't need them any longer!

I turned my first pen on the Rikon today, a nice Bloodwood bolt action, and it came out great.

8b0ade48cc28c5e7445ac5d799c3dc1c.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help and tips!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks like you made the right decision ! I love the pen and I said so in your other thread.

CHEERS to HF are appropriate for refunding you on your first lathe, don't you think ?!! :) :)

LeeR

I've had the 70-100 for almost 5 years. It is a great little lathe. I've thought about adding the variable speed kit but frankly, belt changes are really easy.

Not long after I bought it, I added the bed extension. Drilling holes in tool handles, turning peppermills, etc. -- the extension was a "must".

I'm sure you'll find the lathe to be a real jewel, like I have.

ripjack13

Nice...I have the 70-100 also. I love that thing. It's my first lathe ever! I can see where having the vs on one would be handy. as well as a reverse function. But that will be on the next upgrade much later on...gotta make room in my garage first.

Nice looking pen too! I have a blocks of bloodwood. real nice deep red color.

Robert57

I have had my Rikon 70-100 for for almost 2 months. I have turned about 50 pens on it. It was my first lathe, I'm a begiiner to this hobby. I love the lathe, smooth quiet operation. Wife likes it too so much that she suggested get another one or the next size up with variable speed. So, I'm gonna go shop for a second lathe, think she wants to turn too.
Robert
Stuttgart, Ar.

RustyFN

Congrats on the new lathe and great looking pen. I love those bolt action pens. I going to have to get a couple to try.

Top Bottom