Question about mutiple lathes in your shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert57

I have read here that some on here have more then one lathe. Is there a certain reason? Do you have same size lathes or different sizes? I guess myself being a beginner, was just wondering, my Rikon 70-100 doing great.
Also, my wife has mentioned a second lathe would be nice even though I have just started pen turning.
So, with that said, would one size bigger be a good buy or same size?
Thanks,
Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I have a Jet 1014vs that I use for all small items such as pens, bottle stoppers etc. I also have a large floor model lathe I use for large turnings such as bowls. It has 16" swing. I can do smaller bowls on the mini but it lacks the power of the larger lathe.

If I only did small items I would only have the mini lathe. I know some folks have a second mini they use for buffing.

Cmiles1985

I currently do all of my turning on my 1221VS, but I also have a HF mini VS lathe set up for other minor items as needed. I just bought a Walker-Turner that I'll be restoring for larger turnings. I'll be on the lookout for more lathes for group meetings and demos. Those lathes will be 12" at minimum.

thewishman

I started with a Jet 1014, decided I wanted something a bit bigger and better so I added a Delta 46-460. The Jet became my buffer.

A couple of years later, a friend persuaded me to buy an old Craftsman metal lathe - 12X32. I didn't know what I'd do with it, but it has been a great investment and has allowed me to do things not possible with a wood lathe.

plantman

At the present time I have 3 lathes. One is an older Shop Smith with all attachments. Besides being a multy tool machine, it can turn large and long items as well as inboard and outboard. Second is a Harbor Freight mini lathe. This one I use for drilling blanks, turning smaller objects, duplicating parts and threading kitless pens. Last is a Mocro Mini Tieg Metal lathe. This is the oldest and most used lathe I own. I do 99% of my pens on it, as well as turning miniture parts for other projects. Items can be turned to within 10,000th on this machine. I also do my finishing on this lathe. I find it much easier to change from one lathe to another, than changing one lathe from one task to another. I have fitted all my lathes with adaptors so I can just move my chucks and projects from one to another without disturbing the alignment of the object I am working on. Jim S

Last edited:

wyone

I started turning on a shopsmith. It worked ok, but hard to find the right attachments to fit since it did not have threads or a morse taper on the headstock. Surfing Craigslist I found Jet 1014 for $100 and bought it. I love using it for pens and small bowls. I kept surfing of course and came across a Grizzly G0462 again for $100. It is a full size variable speed digital readout lathe. It has a much bigger motor on it. I have been learning about bowl turning and find it is much better as it has more speeds and way more power

Ok, so I will get rid of the Shopsmith soon, but keeping the other two. The jet is awesome for pens as it just seems to be better suited for that small work. I have more control and can get closer to my work. It has a great hand wheel so it makes it easy to use to check my work. The Grizzly will be used for anything larger, and bowls and such. I love the power and the more adaptability of it.

So, yes, more than one lathe is perfect. But you certainly need to do something for that wife of yours! Or maybe she wants you to make her something and she just has not told you yet. LOL.

Have fun!

Carl Fisher

I have a 1014 and 1221 more or less next to each other with a grinder between them and then my metal lathe just off to the left.

My wife and I are often turning at the same time, but if she's not in the shop I am very happy to have one lathe setup for drilling, facing, threading, etc... and the other dedicated to turning. I hate having to constantly swap out chucks or tail stock when I'm working.

Brooks803

I started out the that same Rikon 70-100. I was in the middle of a big pen order that was due soon and the bearings went out in it. I didn't have the time to get them replaced so I went out and bought a Delta 46-460.

I still have both and mainly use the Rikon as a buffing station unless someone else it out there with me and wants to turn at the same time.

MarkD

My first lathe was an old Rockwell-Delta 12" cast iron lathe. I still use it, mostly for finishing work. When I started doing bowls a few years back I bought a PowerMatic PM3520B which I use for the majority of my turning. I have a Grizzly variable speed lathe headstock that I got at the Grizzly tent sale. I use it mostly for squaring blanks. I also have a Jet 1018 metal lathe / milling machine combo. Yeah, the workshop is kinda full :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Gary Beasley

I still have my old Excelsior lathe I started pen turning on across from my Nova DVR. It spends most of it's time with a buffing system mounted on it. Pretty handy for polishing the bowls I'm working on.

magpens

Encourage your wife as much as you can ! Tell her what a great idea to buy a second lathe ! Maybe she wants to turn with you !!

Several have made a case for having a small metal-working lathe. I would support them. You can easily turn pens on a metal-working lathe and do all sorts of other things you can't do on a wood-turning lathe. I started out on a metal-turning lathe so I am biassed, perhaps. But consider it. You can get a small bench-top metal-working lathe at Harbor Freight, Grizzly, and other places for around $500. Have a look online, and don't forget LittleMachineShop.com. They have good products, lots of accessories and great service, IMO.

Last edited:

Martin G

I have a Jet mini and an old Craftsman that I inherited from my father. If he hadn't given me the Craftsman I probably wouldn't have two though I'd be watching for a good deal on a second lathe. As it is, I use the Jet for most turning. I use the Craftsman for drilling since it has variable speed. It's bigger and longer than the jet but it is also quite loud. When it finally expires I'll be looking for a replacement. It is really handy to have two.

walshjp17

My first lathe was a Rikon 70-100. After a while, I craved a variable speed, so I installed the VS kit. Then I craved turning big bowls, so I got a deal on a Jet 1642. Then I wanted to take a lathe to pen making demos, so I bought a used Jet 1410. Then I really craved the Jet 1221VS and my wife bought me one for some holiday or other. Then I realized I don't need 4 lathes, so I sold the Rikon. I now have a lathe for smaller turnings (1221VS) another for larger turnings (1642) and another for buffing and demos (1410). I was told I no longer crave anything else (except a Robust). :wink::wink:

Last edited:

Dalepenkala

I like the others have multiple lathes. Currently have 3 and at some point hopefully this year a 4th one. Having each lathe setup for different operations is just so convenient that it warrents it for me!

If momma commented about another lathe, take her up on it!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I have a jet 1014vs and a 1220vs. Sometimes it is being at the right place at the right time when a deal comes up. I have 4 scrollsaws. RBI 220, RBI 226, Hegner 18" Dewalt 788. Each was gotten for less than selling price except the 226. That was a show sales price which was less but not as much as the others. My true main hobby and one I made money with is scrollsawing so you can not afford to be down for long. That is another reason to have multiples. You do need space though.

woodwzrd

If your wife said a second lathe woudl be nice I sincerely hope you have one on order already.

I have two Rikons, a 70-100 and a 70-50vs, side by side on my bench. I do most of my turning on the 70-50vs and most of my drilling and end milling finished blanks on the 70-100. I like to have two projects going while I am doing my CA finish and this setup allows me to be drilling blanks or drilling out casings or bullets for bullets pens or what whatever it may be in between coats of CA. It is also pretty handy for when my kids decide they want to turn a pen.

endacoz

I started with a ShopSmith, then purchased a Jet 10/14, my first true lathe.
I now also have a HF 12x36VS and a Turncrafter ProVS 10x18.

I drill on the HF and flush trim on the HF.
I then round and shape on the Turncrafter, VS is awesome! Then sand at 500rpms on the Jet 1014 (slowest speed I have). Then polish / finish on the Turncrafter. While I am waiting in between finishes I am sanding another blank on a second lathe. I also do bowls on the HF.

I make seam rippers in batches of 12-30 so having each station (lathe) all set up saves time.

Robert57

Well, my fellow pen turners, I was asking advice about a second lathe. I recieve some great advice, thanks. I just found out my wife ordered me a Rikon 70-220vsr for an anniversary present. Wow, big WOW! Now the only problem is: what to get her? She got it on sale at Woodcraft. Can't wait till it comes in.
She sews and embriodries alot, so off to the fabric store, I guess. Just had to share this with all of you.
Robert

bobleibo

Well, my fellow pen turners, I was asking advice about a second lathe. I recieve some great advice, thanks. I just found out my wife ordered me a Rikon 70-220vsr for an anniversary present. Wow, big WOW! Now the only problem is: what to get her? She got it on sale at Woodcraft. Can't wait till it comes in.
She sews and embriodries alot, so off to the fabric store, I guess. Just had to share this with all of you.
Robert

Get her ANYTHING she wants....quickly!

stonepecker

Patterns are always somthing my wife is looking for. BUT, I never pick them out. I take her with me and say "You pick them I will pay for them".

Have the credit card with you..........they are not cheap.

wob50

She is a keeper for Shure, if that was me we be on the way to the nearest store that carried the model I wanted, and also don't forget the flowers and dinner.

Charlie_W

If she does not already have them, you can get the green Olfa self healing rotary cutting mats and the Olfa ergonomic rotary cutter with extra blades. Get either the 45mm or 60mm size...or both....also, a couple of cutting rulers too. Get the frosted kind.

Another idea is if the store offers classes, get her a class in something she has wanted to do or even a gift certificate from the store.
If you are looking at machinery as she did, does she have a serger? Best is to let her pick out the one she likes. DAMHIKT :frown: been there, done that.
Baby Lock sergers are great!

Edit...I re read your post..embroidery machines are sweet too. Better take two credit cards with you!
Good luck!

Last edited:

magier412

I currently have several (3) lathes...and really, it's more about having "extras" available for when friends come over and want to join me. I have a smaller Jet that is more suitable for pens and small things, and then a couple of midis. For me, it's about the social stuff. :) And I can't seem to pass up a screamin' deal on Craigslist. 0_o :)

I have two lathes, primarily because my son gave up his Jet 1014 when he go so busy with his work he couldn't use it and it was sitting on his patio under a tarp.... at the time I had the Ridgid he had initially bought as a Christmas gift... I had a particularly good season selling at the local craft market and bought myself a bigger Jet... which I use for almost every thing... you can turn little things on a big lathe, it's harder to turn big things on a small lathe... the little one is mostly a buffing station now, but if and when LOML gets to where she can stand again for any length of time, she wants to join me in the shop and turn pens. I don't turn many pens any more, mostly pepper mills, wine glass stems and bowls.

sbwertz

I have a little 10" Excaliber with bed extension. A couple of years ago it started screaming and I thought the bearings were going out. I bought a variable speed 12" with a swivel head. Then I discovered that all that was wrong with the 10" was that the set screw on the drive had backed out and was causing the racket! So now I have two lathes, and don't know how I ever got along with only one!

I can set one up for drilling and the other for turning and go back and forth between them while working on a project. Or one set up for bowls and the other for spindle turning/pen turning. I use the variable speed lathe more for drilling because it's ... well...variable speed! I like the little ten inch for pens because I have a string of halogen lights mounted on the underside of the cabinet above the lathe and it gives me good light for doing inlay on pens.

Oh, and I have a 9" South Bend metal lathe that is about the size of a small car. I inherited it from my grandfather and it is almost as old as I am.

Sharon

Last edited:

Alchymist

3 lathes here, looking for a 4th. Home made pen lathe, South Bend metal lathe, and a Boley watchmaker's for tiny parts. Need a larger wood lathe, and with budget constraints :)frown:), will probably attempt to build a 10 or 12" X 48" or so machine from scratch. There is always another machine or tool just out of reach, even with a shop full to overflowing. :biggrin:

sbwertz

Robert

How about one of these, or something similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE400...1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1425598587&sr=1-1

Robert57

Ok, I been busy pen turning, working and helping my son remodel his house before he and his wife moves, plus expecting their first baby. Interior painting, re-do cabinets, flooring, counter tops.
Any way, I did get my second lathe from my wife, Rikon midi lathe varispeed. Love it, used it alot already, but turning on hold for a while till get my son's house done. I have a
question, being varispeed lathe, can it be turned on and off without slowing speed down?
Thanks,
Robert

Cwalker935

I have a jet mini that I do pens, bottle-stoppers, small bowls, etc on. I wanted to do larger bowls so I bought a Nova 1624-44. I am happy with both of them

Marnat3

I have 2 that are the same size, HF 10 x 18 set up for drilling and finishing
and a Excelsior 10 X18 for roughing out and turning.
They are a good fit for the area I have set up for my addiction, (Oh I mean hobby.):biggrin:

PenPal

I have several wood and metal lathes. Two vehicles am the sole driver I am 80 now and follow my path with never a dull time plenty of excitement a family immediate of 65 wife and me our kids etc I suggest you follow your path in tandem with that gem of a wife, kind sympathetic relationships are statistically rare treasure yours mate. Our 60th wedding anniversary in July.

Kind regards Peter.

Rick_G

I started with a Delta midi had to do belt changes to change speed and found the bed was to short to do the pepper mills I wanted. Upgraded to a CX802 from Busy Bee tools 2hp, 3 phase motor, 18" swing and 47" between centers. With the variable speed I find I am doing all my turning on it, even pens and the Delta just sits there.

JimB

Ok, I been busy pen turning, working and helping my son remodel his house before he and his wife moves, plus expecting their first baby. Interior painting, re-do cabinets, flooring, counter tops.
Any way, I did get my second lathe from my wife, Rikon midi lathe varispeed. Love it, used it alot already, but turning on hold for a while till get my son's house done. I have a
question, being varispeed lathe, can it be turned on and off without slowing speed down?
Thanks,
Robert

Yes, you can turn it on and off without slowing it down. Always use caution. If you are mounting a new piece slow it all the way down to start it and stand to the side just in case the piece comes off.

Rick_G

Thanks,
Robert

Yes you can but it's a good idea to get in the habit of turning the speed to 0 before shutting it off. That way there won't be any surprises when you turn it on with something big and unbalanced and you left the speed turned up the last time.

Top Bottom