Old School but new question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSallee

Hey all,
I'm sure you seen the post that I'm back..my after a few yrs awol.... anyways... I got a question. ..

A few yrs ago I owned a Jet 10-14 lathe and love it!!!

Beings I sold out 4 yrs ago, I'm looking for a new lathe to get me started... here is my options

Jet 10-15
Ricon 12-16
Nova Comet II... 12-16
Delta 46-460

I know opinions have changed, views have changed .. what's the best for me? Turning pens, calls, ornaments and such... would like to do a bowl eventually!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow - got a choice to make, eh? I have 2 lathes (small and large) and both are Jets. So I guess I'm predisposed to suggest a Jet, but I wonder if a lathe with a 10" swing is going to get you what you want bowl-wise. There was a thread here comparing (I think) the Delta and the Nova about a year ago. Folk seemed to like the Delta but there was one posting about a design issue regarding its rigidity that caught my attention. I'm kind of liking the Nova. Or the Rikon.

Rolandranch

I'd personally suggest a Jet 10-15...probably because Jet is all I know. I have actually have been using an older Jet 10-14 lathe for quite some time and love it. In the last week, I got a new Jet 10-15 variable speed lathe (our shop needed another lathe). It seems to work the same as the 10-14, only variable speed, and an inch longer. So far it's worked very well plus it's much quieter. But again, I have only used Jet... I guess because I have never had any problems with them and haven't needed to search any further.

DSallee

Thanks all and JT!! I actually had the Jet 10-14 when I started and really liked it! Never really had any issues that wasn't my causing.. lol

Anyways, I was,kind of steering towards the Jet myself because of that but also knew Delta and Nova were big back then...

Decisions decisions... lol

TonyL

If they are all variable speed, I would pick the one that will allow you drill, trim, turn, finish, apply CA or something without changing the belt. I can do that with my 1015 and 1221. However, as stated above that is just my preference and I am lazy.

jttheclockman

Thanks all and JT!! I actually had the Jet 10-14 when I started and really liked it! Never really had any issues that wasn't my causing.. lol

Anyways, I was,kind of steering towards the Jet myself because of that but also knew Delta and Nova were big back then...

Decisions decisions... lol

Dave, I do almost all my work off my 1014VS I have a 1220VS. Those newer lathes are just that newer and I think they may have indexing and thus the difference. That is a nice feature for I had to buy an add-on indexing wheel to the 1014

thewishman

I started with the same lathe as you did, it's my buffer now. The Rikon and the Nova are at my makerspace. The Delta is in a different league - heavier and more solid - a midi vs. the minis. The Jet 1221 looks like a good machine.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If there is ANY chance in getting one with DVR or VFD? Not having to change belts at all with purely electronic control and low speed will not only greatly enhance the lathe for re-sale down the road, but make it such a pleasure to use that you just might increase your use of it.

Top Bottom