The Nova midi Comet II lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day peoples,

I've got a friend here in Australia that is interested in buying a small lathe and he was looking at the new midi lathe the Nova (NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe). At about AU$635 I thought that it would be a good investment, as I own a Nova myself but the 1624-44 however, he has mention to me recently that, he read a few negative reviews about it something that I wasn't aware of so, I wonder if anyone on IAP has one of these and what would be the general consensus about this lathe Vs any others around this value or the best value for the money with identical specifications...!

Your opinions would be most appreciated...!

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have the Nova Comet 2 and love it. It works for me almost every day and does a great job. I have seen a few people that didn't like theirs but I have had no issues at all with mine. I did notice when I got mine I thought the tail stock was kind of loose but after I adjusted the turn crank on it everything is nice and tight. I would purchase another in a heartbeat. The reverse is great I use it with every pen that I make and the VS is also used all the time. I am able to dial in speeds quickly and find the resonance of the wood. The belt change only takes a few seconds and is handy as well. Hope this helps.

SteveJ

I have the Nova Comet 2 and love it. It works for me almost every day and does a great job. I have seen a few people that didn't like theirs but I have had no issues at all with mine. I did notice when I got mine I thought the tail stock was kind of loose but after I adjusted the turn crank on it everything is nice and tight. I would purchase another in a heartbeat. The reverse is great I use it with every pen that I make and the VS is also used all the time. I am able to dial in speeds quickly and find the resonance of the wood. The belt change only takes a few seconds and is handy as well. Hope this helps.

I don't know why you would be satisfied with a lathe that works for you almost every day. Wouldn't you want one that worked all the time? :smile-big:

I don't know why you would be satisfied with a lathe that works for you almost every day. Wouldn't you want one that worked all the time? :smile-big:

I guess I should have said I use it almost every day.. And by the way, I use it for hours per day too. I am not hanging my coat on it! Lets see anything else :biggrin:

Janster

I burned through 2 of them in less than a year. I would NOT purchase that particular model. I did purchase another Nova, the DVR, and it is kick @$$.
I too had some issuse with the Comet in getting replacement parts. YMMV. Good luck.............Jan

I don't know Jan, I have not had any issues with mine. I have probably made 150 - 200 pens on it since Nov or Dec when I got it... Seems like you may have gotten a couple of duds?

Janster

An employee at the source I bought mine from had the same issue, inconsistent RPMs. She now has a New Delta Midi and seems happy with it? Go figure! Be well............Jan

alamocdc

Mike and I got ours about the same time IIRC. I love mine too! No issues and I've been turning some hard Mesquite and Live Oak burl bowls and vessels on mine. Plus a dozen pens or so. I use it nearly every day.

Top Bottom