Need advice on a lathe chuck/turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert57

Hi,
I am new to lathe turning, just bought a Rikon mini lathe, 70-100.
What brand/size chuck do I need for bowl turning? It came with a face plate but turning with a chuck looked easier/better.
Also, I been looking at the carbide turning tools with the replacing tips. Any one use those?
I am not sure about tool sharping.
Thanks,
Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Nova G3 chuck is perfect for your lathe / use.

Lots of people use carbide tools. However, in my experience the vast majority of bowl turners use s bowl gouge as their primary tool for this task. I know I do.

The carbide tools will allow you the avoid sharpening though and you certainly can turn bowls with them. Having both a square or radiused as well as a round cutter tool will serve you well to get started.

pfmcdermott

I bought a jet 1014 3 years ago for pen turning. Later I bought The Barracuda2 T/N chuck package. I bought from Penn State ind. The lathe would only handle 10" diameter so I turned a number of bowls close to that - mostly segmented. No complaint with the chuck. I have happy with it.

Ratimus

I have a Oneway Talon chuck and I love it. You might want to look into a roundnose and/or half round scraper. Don't ever let anyone tell you that real woodturners don't use scrapers

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have a Rikon and use the Nova G3 chuck with it. As far as carbide tools, they will work for most anything, I don't have all the tips, just never felt the need for them. I'm also the one that used a folding buck knife as a demo once...lol(don't try that).

Top Bottom