in the market for a new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Double J

I am new to the world of turning and would like to get some thoughts about two machines I'm looking at. I;m currently using a borrowed HF. So I was thinking about the JET 1015VS or the Rikon 70-220VSR. This is going to be used primarily for pen turning. The Rikon has a larger motor and a 12in swing, but I think my main concern is the quality of the machines. Thanks for your thoughts. Jeff

greenacres2

I started with the Delta 46-460 and after about 6 months of regular pen turning began to develop surging speed control. Of all the things we don't have locally (near an hour to a box store, 3 hours to Rockler, etc) our neighbor is a Delta service center. But in mid-November with 50 pens to finish by the first weekend of January--I picked up the Rikon 70-220 VSR. Have been using the Delta as a buffing station, but as weather clears we'll get the warranty work done. I don't see a problem, and the Delta folks were friendly on the phone.

Contrasting the two--Rikon has a little more speed range, and I'm in the habit of using it. Delta belt swap is a little easier. I also think the tailstock bites a little better on the bed of the Delta, but about an inch difference in spindle travel for the Rikon is helpful as I turn a lot of single barrel and drill on the lathe. The tailstock taper is a little deeper on the Rikon--since my chuck is a tang style I lose about 5/16" on the Delta.

Bed--i'd be hard pressed to turn coffee table legs on the Delta without the extension (which I added), the Rikon offers a little more length without the extension--but marginal for end tables I think.

I love the digital read-out on the Rikon, though usually I know where I am from sound & feel (or at least close enough). Once we finally take the Delta in and see what the turn-around is (and availability of board if needed)--we'll either be pleased with service or not. It is nice that the shop is a client of ours in my day job, and the two young owners went to school with my sons.

Would I pick one over the other--if the warranty thing goes well, probably the Delta. If it's time-consuming (and I expect to be once I get there), probably the Rikon but that is only after about 60 pens in 2 months. Jury still out, but if selling is part of the hobby--i'll probably always have two decent lathes anyway just to keep running.
earl

Top Bottom