Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...! - Page 6 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Power Tools & Equipment
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #51 (permalink)

Photos: 324

George - I just spoke to "Andrew" at Teknatool sales and he is sending me a new unit. Will take 5-7 days to arrive.

Let's see what the next one results in and then we can chat.

Duncan - Thank you for the contact name, it made things pretty easy.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #52 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm460 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenPal View Post
Mark had to wait several months from Vicmarc with probs from his speed controller,he has quite a story to tell.

Peter.
All I wanted to was to add a magnetic remote switch box to my Vicmarc VL 300, I have wanted one ever since I got clocked in the face with a large chunk of wood that parted company with the rest of the bowl blank, on my old lathe.

I bought the magnetic remote switch box from Vicmarc, I got a sparky to wire it in, switched it on, it would only get 250 RPM, after phone calls to Vicmarc sent another speed pot,
same problem, so for the next couple of months it was try this, try that all to no avail.
Finally the sparky getting pissed off, said send the motor, invertor and the switch back to vicmarc, this cost me over $1000.00 for the switch(188.00) the sparkies bill, freight there and back, and vicmarcs bill.
You know, there are certain things that we have absolutely no control over, we can have the best of intentions and expectations but in the end, is never a guarantee that we don't endup with our a$$es burnt, and that always hurts.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
George - I just spoke to "Andrew" at Teknatool sales and he is sending me a new unit. Will take 5-7 days to arrive.

Let's see what the next one results in and then we can chat.

Duncan - Thank you for the contact name, it made things pretty easy.
Thanks Mark...

It certainly makes a big difference when we have a name/number to refer to when we need to make certain calls, thank you for your efforts. Did you discuss with him any other issues of the Power and if they know why the controllers are failing..?

I also appreciate all the help Duncan has given me/us on this issue, thank's mate.

PS: Duncan, have you tried the third controller yet..?

Cheers
George

Advertisement
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #54 (permalink)

Photos: 1

[quote=robutacion;1912760]
Quote:
I also appreciate all the help Duncan has given me/us on this issue, thank's mate.

You're welcome, George -- I was hoping mine was a unit with a bad program, not the "standard configuration" for them.

The new motor & controller hasn't arrived yet -- UPS (the shipping company) originally said it would be delivered Friday, but the truck didn't reach the nearest distribution depot till Saturday morning. They sent me an email saying it will be delivered today.

-- Duncan

duncsuss is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #55 (permalink)

Did you discuss with him any other issues of the Power and if they know why the controllers are failing..?

Cheers
George[/quote]

I did ask if they knew why the controllers are failing. Andrew said this is a newer product, and they will be looking at changes, and that he knew of only mine and Duncan's that were problematic.

I did not really want to inquire about this unit being sent/used in Australia and any power issues.

However, as they may be doing a tweak to the controllers to really fix the problem, it does raise the possibility that you/we may want to send it back for a refund, and wait until a newer version is available. Andrew was very helpful, and I suspect that if they are going to redesign it, he would indicate when the changes are done.

I actually suspect it may be that the button/contacts on the underside of the cover have a "sweet spot" where if pushed exactly on that spot it will work, but if slightly off, it does not make good contact (NO, I am not an electrician). But for $600, we should expect better.

If the second unit is also faulty, this may be a good choice for you to consider.
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 AM   #56 (permalink)

[quote=duncsuss;1912767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
Quote:

You're welcome, George -- I was hoping mine was a unit with a bad program, not the "standard configuration" for them.

The new motor & controller hasn't arrived yet -- UPS (the shipping company) originally said it would be delivered Friday, but the truck didn't reach the nearest distribution depot till Saturday morning. They sent me an email saying it will be delivered today.

-- Duncan
Thanks Duncan,

Listening to what Mark just said above, it makes me wonder why they request you to send the motor and controller back for replacement, do they have a new motor..? what does the motor has to do with what the controller is doing or not doing...?

I'm certainly looking forwards to see what you receive, any possible differences and improvements.

I find hard to believe that Teknatool is considering in making a better upgrade for the 1624-44 when they have just launched a new variable speed model that supersedes in my view the DVRxp, they would be pushing to have people replacing the 1624-44 models to the variable speed ones that seem to work very well and simple on the controls, about USD$2.500 if I recall correctly, AUD$3,250.00 in today exchange plus freight.

The Australia distributors haven't yet received this new model for sale in Australia and I'm expecting their price to be more close to 4G's than anything else plus freight, off course.

PS: Make sure to try to see any differents in the motor and controller and let us know, please...!

Cheers
George

Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you discuss with him any other issues of the Power and if they know why the controllers are failing..?

Cheers
George
I did ask if they knew why the controllers are failing. Andrew said this is a newer product, and they will be looking at changes, and that he knew of only mine and Duncan's that were problematic.

I did not really want to inquire about this unit being sent/used in Australia and any power issues.

However, as they may be doing a tweak to the controllers to really fix the problem, it does raise the possibility that you/we may want to send it back for a refund, and wait until a newer version is available. Andrew was very helpful, and I suspect that if they are going to redesign it, he would indicate when the changes are done.

I actually suspect it may be that the button/contacts on the underside of the cover have a "sweet spot" where if pushed exactly on that spot it will work, but if slightly off, it does not make good contact (NO, I am not an electrician). But for $600, we should expect better.

If the second unit is also faulty, this may be a good choice for you to consider.[/quote]

Hi Mark,

Thank's for the update...!

I find it very strange that only these 2 upgrade units have the problem, really...??? how many of these did they sold in the USA alone...?

I also don't think that the forwards/reverse button is the only problem with the controller and Duncan has given us the proof of that with his second controller, having the known issue resolved but then, he found another problem with another control button.

Is great that Andrew has been very helpful but he works for Tekantool so, he may not be telling the whole story to protect the company that pays his salary, huh..? That would be only normal.

Did they already ask you to send the controller you have back?

Well, as I also indicated, if the next replacement is also faulty after all the conversations with Andrew that I would expect to have one controller checked by their technicians before sending it back but, I really don't know so, we wait and see, huh...?

The return for a full-refund is certainly a possibility that would be perfectly justified if the replacement controller is also defected.

You are correct, I think is reasonable that we would expect better for USD$600 that in my case will represent a total investment of about AU$1,200 or more, we don't know yet.

I'm sure that together, we will make the right decision, I'm certainly open to any suggestions...!

Cheers
George

Old 03-21-2017, 01:20 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenPal View Post
I will say this 220 volts is still a risk here where I live, the supply company will let the voltage rise to over 250 it sits on 240 volts anytime) under its guarantee in law.By now your 220 looks horrified.

If you really want 415 volt appliances over my way you simply state you are about to instal a heavy using Stove, Airconditioning unit and you will need to balance the load over three phases. (it worked for me) a sparky by trade.

Honestly all the checking etc in the states could be innefective without using converters to start with 50 cycles and 240v single phase or 415 volts three phase.

I do not have a horse in this race but I would beware and be advised in writing by any firm who says what can be done.

Inverters are cheap as a mate was buying direct and fitted 8 in his workshop on mills and drills, metal lathes etc. The joy of the brand you cherish can be turned sour with after market gear. Mark had to wait several months from Vicmarc with probs from his speed controller,he has quite a story to tell.

No such thing as a free lunch mate.

What an inverter does is create two phantom phases using capacitors to acheive three phase.

Anyway good fortune so many people are hanging in there for you George at 82 I dont need any more stress thanks.

Peter.
G'day Peter.

In the old days as kids, we were taught that we need to always listen and respect the older people, the generations have changed and I may have had less problem in have been born around your time or even before that, the values were so very different, then...!

With that said, I always have shown a great respect for your age and person you seem to be from the time I have followed your posts on IAP, at 60 I'm a kid to you and that is OK with me, I may have not always agreed with you but, I have always listened to your wisdom and in this case, I have to agree with you and realise that you know what you are talking about the power issues and that I may be taking a big risk of having my investment to "blow" in my face (sort of speak), in your view there is a small chance that it will work and something that would not take on and that is OK.

There is no definitive decision yet, we working on it and I'm sure you and many other folks will be following this thread with some interest, not because they want to buy one but more to see where all this endup.

I'm addicted to pain and a magnet for troubles, let's see where this one will take me..?

Cheers
George

Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #59 (permalink)

Photos: 1

UPS delivered the replacement motor & controller yesterday, I just assembled the parts and tested it.

The controller has the identical software version to the one that came in the original box (according to the hardware and software version numbers displayed in the Information menu).

It also seems to have the same problem -- most easily visible when you press the Forward/Reverse button and see it immediately begin to flash the display from one to the other rapidly.

(note: I wrote "most easily visible" -- it is NOT the only button that behaves this way, it's just the easiest one to test and show the controller is bad)

This is the third unit (motor plus controller) like this -- I have two of them, Mark has one.

I will be talking to folks in customer support today.

duncsuss is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
UPS delivered the replacement motor & controller yesterday, I just assembled the parts and tested it.

The controller has the identical software version to the one that came in the original box (according to the hardware and software version numbers displayed in the Information menu).

It also seems to have the same problem -- most easily visible when you press the Forward/Reverse button and see it immediately begin to flash the display from one to the other rapidly.

(note: I wrote "most easily visible" -- it is NOT the only button that behaves this way, it's just the easiest one to test and show the controller is bad)

This is the third unit (motor plus controller) like this -- I have two of them, Mark has one.

I will be talking to folks in customer support today.

This is the info for the one I have:

ContBoard: 8.21C

HMI Board: p2.00f

And, it was hard to get to the info screen as the button kept signaling back and forth.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads