Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...! - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Power Tools & Equipment
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 289

Hi George, finally got my power lines to my house restrung (36 hours after the storm).

OK, my local Rockler can order it and get it here in about a week. And, I also know a few local IAP members who are Electrical Engineers that can do a "quality check" for you!

PM will follow.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I checked my nearby Rockler, and they could get me on in 10 to 14 days. The guy I spoke with said they don't carry them in the store, but its an orderable item for them. Which made sense, as they can only stock so much in store, and other items being orderable. He did not sound like he would allow someone to try it at the store, but suggested calling Teknatool to inquire about if there was any fix to the fwd/rev button problem I asked about. He said he never heard of any issues, but he also wasn't familiar with the specific item either. So, if you want it, I could go there tomorrow and order it up.

I see Mark already posted probably a better connection for you, as he knows someone that could thouroughly check it out before posting it to you, but I still can order it for you if need me to.

Last edited by luckyscroller788; 03-09-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added text
luckyscroller788 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Hi George, finally got my power lines to my house restrung (36 hours after the storm).

OK, my local Rockler can order it and get it here in about a week. And, I also know a few local IAP members who are Electrical Engineers that can do a "quality check" for you!

PM will follow.
Hi Mark,

Those are great news, from the power problem you have had, and the possibility to order it for me and have it checked before is shipped. I will certainly accept your assistance in this matter, thank you very much.

Indeed, the shipping will be very expensive as this thing is heavy and I want it insured to cover its value and case of problems, have the test done at the store, should be acceptable by the store owner/manager, it would be silly to deny the test to be made there, in front of them, so that if the unit has problems, they are also a witness of the issue and would have a lot more authority to made the replacement claim to Teknatool, don't you think..?

And for those of you that have kindly offer to help, your offer is not forgotten nor less appreciated, I'm grateful that I have friends on the other side of the pond willing to give me a hand and I can say that I do get myself in this same position quite often, for the exact same reasons, they simply will not ship to Australia and until some time ago, I had a good friend and also IAP member that was most willing to get the stuff for me and ship it to me, a good hand full of items in the first few years but, he has moved on from IAP to do other things and we lost most contacts so, I will be coming back to those of you that put the hand up and are willing to help me in these type situations.

For now, Mark James will be taking care of this issue and I will update you all/this thread as soon as I have some news...!

Thank you all very kindly...!

To be continued...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Unhappy

G'Day George,

Have you thought about buying an inverter and fitting it yourself?
If you do make sure you buy one that is big enough for your motor size,DAMHIKT.

1.5KW 2HP VFD INVERTER 7A 220V 1 OR 3 PHASE VARIABLE SPEED DRIVE DRIVE INVERTER | eBay
wm460 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm460 View Post
G'Day George,

Have you thought about buying an inverter and fitting it yourself?
If you do make sure you buy one that is big enough for your motor size,DAMHIKT.

1.5KW 2HP VFD INVERTER 7A 220V 1 OR 3 PHASE VARIABLE SPEED DRIVE DRIVE INVERTER | eBay
G'day mate, long time don't see..!

Some time ago I did and then I realised that I didn't really know what motor type I would need, the possibility that I had to have a new motor bracket, I doubt the original bracket would accommodate other sort of motor housing, shaft sizes, the correct VFD for the motor and all the connections that looked a little too confusing for me, if I recall correctly I had made a cost estimate of about AU$500.00 before I had it all done and working.

I was not comfortable with it all so, I gave up that idea...!

This upgrade is going to cost me the best part of AU$1,000 but, what is needed to exchange the motors and instal the controller, that looked very easy for me to do, somehow as I'm getting older, I'm a little fed-up with improvising or try to save some money by doing everything myself often without the correct materials, tools and state of mind, not forgetting my poor eyes that are getting a little fuzzy...!

I'm also getting a lot lazier, and that is the truth...!

Let's see what happens..!

Hey, when are you coming my way, again...?

PS: Can someone explain to me why the motor that comes with these type tools, lathe, bandsaw, drill press doesn't work with a VFD...?

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 03-11-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
PS: Can someone explain to me why the motor that comes with these type tools, lathe, bandsaw, drill press doesn't work with a VFD...?

Cheers
George
It is because most machines are supplied with a single phase motor. A VDF only works on a three phase motor, usually delta wound. It controls the speed by magically changing the single phase into three phases and then speeding or slowing the phases to the motor as asked. If all our stuff came with 3 phase motors it would be easy but most homes here at least, only come with single phase power without an option for three phase, hence hobby stuff only comes with a single phase motor. You need to buy bigger machines in order to get the options of single or three phase and most of us can't afford or accommodate those toys.
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #27 (permalink)

As promised, the replacement controller unit for my motor was delivered yesterday. In a while, I'll find out if this behaves differently than the original one.

I will be very unhappy if what I consider to be a fault is something they have designed into the unit.

imag0725.jpg

duncsuss is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 289

I'll be reviewing and following this thread as I have ordered George's upgrade, and will try to insure it is sound/working prior to shipping to him. I will have a 90 day return policy option if it is faulty.

A step-by-step instruction for a "Non-Electrician" would be helpful. I will also pull in a few favors with some local IAP Electricial Engineers/Electricians/Building Inspectors !

George, your upgrade may become the most pre-tested conversion kit ever!
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post

Cheers
George
It is because most machines are supplied with a single phase motor. A VDF only works on a three phase motor, usually delta wound. It controls the speed by magically changing the single phase into three phases and then speeding or slowing the phases to the motor as asked. If all our stuff came with 3 phase motors it would be easy but most homes here at least, only come with single phase power without an option for three phase, hence hobby stuff only comes with a single phase motor. You need to buy bigger machines in order to get the options of single or three phase and most of us can't afford or accommodate those toys.
Thanks for your reply/explanation.

I never thought of that, as 3 phase power is also very limited withing the urban areas, Industrial areas will have it connected to every building however, I know/knew a few folks that have had the 3 phase connected in their houses/workshops for an expensive cost.

One of the things that confuses me is how come some electric tools such as drills, zig-saws and so many other hand-held type tools have variable speed, in fact I just thought of the washing machine, they rotate from very slow to very fast are you saying that them are 3 phase..? on a 220V or 110V power supply...?

Simple electrical stuff, I can handle such as put power points and lights but when comes to the more technical stuff, I get all confuse...!

Cheers
George

Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
As promised, the replacement controller unit for my motor was delivered yesterday. In a while, I'll find out if this behaves differently than the original one.

I will be very unhappy if what I consider to be a fault is something they have designed into the unit.

Attachment 161444
I hope that it works as you were told by the Tecknatool people that it should work, apart from that, most of people I spoke about this issue, they never mentioned the issue so, I'm sure they would have because it looks to be very annoying problem/issue.

When ready, let us know...!

Cheers
George

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads