Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Power Tools & Equipment
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Could Ricks comments on the power requirements be the reason they wont ship this to Australia? If you still need someone to get one and ship it your way, I could do that for you no problem.
luckyscroller788 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
Something to consider before dropping your hard earned money is power requirements. Here in North America it's 120/240 V 60Hz. I know in Europe it's 220V 50 Hz. Don't know what it is in Australia. Most things run just fine with 50Hz. when designed for 60 Hz. but some run hotter So it might be a good idea to verify before spending the money. Hope it works out for you George I know I really appreciated the variable speed when I upgraded my lathe from a midi belt changer to a full size with variable speed.
Hi Rick,

Thank you for bringing that issue up however, and from what I read multiple times of the unit specifications, I think it comes set for the 110V power but it says that is compatible to the 240V power. I don't know if the units that are made in New Zealand are set with the power ratings for the countries they go, it would be silly not to but, I can't be sure.

From what I know, the power box in the motor will have a diagram showing what wires should be connected where depending on what power they are going to run from so, I don't think that the issue is much of an issue.

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Called Rockler's 800 number and she said it was in stock @ $599.00. Said it could not be shipped to Australia only to the continuous 48 states. Hope this helps.
Thank you for doing that for me..!

I don't understand why shipping to Australia would be such an issue, it can't be the power issue because the specifications say;

TECHNICAL DETAILS
Speed Range: 100-5500 RPM
Motor: 1.75HP DVR High Torque; 115V; 220v compatible
Phase: Single
Forward and Reverse: Yes
Compatible With: All NOVA 1624 lathes
Manufacturer Part Number: 53101
Weight (lbs): 45.0000

I know the unit is heavy and shipping will be costly but I am willing to pay for the freight regardless if is posted by a company or a private individual. Indeed and from previous similar experiences, the shipping costs the companies charge is most times a lot higher that what will cost any private person to post the same thing.

Thanks anyway...!

Cheers
George

Advertisement
Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
I will be happy to order what you need and ship it to Aussie Land for you. You are the best and deserve any help you need. I will help in any way possible.
Hi Randy,

You are very kind my friend and I appreciate your kind words...!

I'm waiting for duncsuss to explain what the controller problem is so that the person getting it at the store (if all possible) can check it out, like I said before, the whole unit is ready to be plugged into the power and have the controller tested the exact same way as if is installed and attached to the belt, everything should work the same, huh...?

Cheers
George

Old 03-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi Edgar, thank you for putting your hands up...!

I'm most touched by the number of you that are willing to help me with this, I would do the same to any of you (IAP members) nevertheless, is comforting to have friends that appreciate my efforts with everybody, thank you.

The ideal situation after we know what to look for with the controller test, is to have someone withing reasonable driving distance of the store to have it tested there, of course, it could be ordered to one of you address and have the test done there, if the controller has problems/issues, that person would be able to send it back for replacement but that would take a little longer to get things done but, we will do that is the going into the store option is not possible.

There is also another reason I made my request publically, and that has a lot more to do with the possibility of finding out if IAP has members that have had upgraded the 1624-44 lathe with one of these units and at the same times, hear from them any issues they may have/had, good or bad and make us all aware in the process.

This model lathe is very common all around the world, being made in New Zealand, Australia would be one of their first costumers and there is no doubt that, many Aussies own this lathe model.

Interestingly, looking into YouTube for any reviews or people that installed one of these, I found a small number of them, 3 if I recall correctly and none of them is in Australia but USA if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder why..? I don't think that any Aussie web-site either from Tekantool or Carbatec has ever promoted/advertised/listed this unit, with the number of 1624-44 users in Australia, and with the power compatibility to either 110V or 220V one would think they would offer this upgrade in OZ but that is not the case.

I do know a few folks in Australia that upgraded their 1624-44 with the head of the DVR xp, that I have seen advertised as the upgrade but never the dedicated upgrade such as the one I'm after. The DVR xp head would always be a more expensive upgrade, regardless.

Let's see what we endup with...!

Cheers
George

Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

George,

The problem in my unit is this: when one of the controller buttons is pressed it sees multiple button clicks.

For example, if I press the forward/reverse button, it changes from forward to reverse, and back to forward, and back to reverse, and back to forward, and back ... as long as I keep my finger on the button, I can see the direction indicator flashing from one to the other and back and back.

If there was a one second delay before it started repeating, it would be a lot easier to live with -- but instead, the second key push happens a split-second after the first. Then it becomes a coin-toss whether it stops in reverse or in forward.

It does this with all the controller buttons (as far as I can tell).

So -- that's the problem. You are 100% correct in saying the motor does not have to be installed on a 1624 lathe to test whether the controller has this problem or not -- but the controller unit must be connected to the motor (the upgrade arrives with them separate -- like in the photo I've attached.) There are two cables that come out of the motor housing which need to be plugged into the controller box (plus the power supply connector.)

It could be tested by simply connecting the controller box cables, plugging into the power, and touching the forward/reverse button. If the display flashes forward/reverse/forward/reverse until you take your finger off the button, it's defective. My understanding is it should switch (and stay switched) until you release your finger and press a second time.

My reading of the specifications is that the unit is auto-sensing: it states "Power supply range: 115V - 230V / 50 Hz - 60 Hz". It's driven like a stepper motor (switched reluctance motor) so the power supply frequency doesn't have any impact on the motor speed.

I hope this helps.

imag0693.jpg

imag0697.jpg

Last edited by duncsuss; 03-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.
duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
George,

The problem in my unit is this: when one of the controller buttons is pressed it sees multiple button clicks.

For example, if I press the forward/reverse button, it changes from forward to reverse, and back to forward, and back to reverse, and back to forward, and back ... as long as I keep my finger on the button, I can see the direction indicator flashing from one to the other and back and back.

If there was a one second delay before it started repeating, it would be a lot easier to live with -- but instead, the second key push happens a split-second after the first. Then it becomes a coin-toss whether it stops in reverse or in forward.

It does this with all the controller buttons (as far as I can tell).

So -- that's the problem. You are 100% correct in saying the motor does not have to be installed on a 1624 lathe to test whether the controller has this problem or not -- but the controller unit must be connected to the motor (the upgrade arrives with them separate -- like in the photo I've attached.) There are two cables that come out of the motor housing which need to be plugged into the controller box (plus the power supply connector.)

It could be tested by simply connecting the controller box cables, plugging into the power, and touching the forward/reverse button. If the display flashes forward/reverse/forward/reverse until you take your finger off the button, it's defective. My understanding is it should switch (and stay switched) until you release your finger and press a second time.

My reading of the specifications is that the unit is auto-sensing: it states "Power supply range: 115V - 230V / 50 Hz - 60 Hz". It's driven like a stepper motor (switched reluctance motor) so the power supply frequency doesn't have any impact on the motor speed.

I hope this helps.

Attachment 161370

Attachment 161371
It sure does help, anyone reading your post will know what to do and yes, the motor and controller don't come attached to each other, getting them out of the box, put the plugs in and connect to power shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, I'm sure the store manager or person in charge will prefer to have the test done there than have it taken away only to return later, huh...?

When you contacted your seller, did they confirmed that what your controller was doing was in fact a problem..?

Interestingly, one of the Youtube videos I say about installing the upgrade, the old fellow didn't seem that "mechanical" minded, and he struggled to install it, something that should take no more than 30 minutes.

I contacted him about his opinion after using if for while and he told me that, he didn't like the controls, particularly the back and reverse button, he said that, it require various attempts to get it to change, now that I heard what you said, I wonder if he had the same issue but he didn't explain it properly, I don't know.

I contacted 2 other fellows that installed this upgrade and they say that they have no issues, the only thing that are clear about is, why didn't they had made the upgrade long ago, there is, instal variable speed...!

I'm ready, so let's see which one of you are in the better position to go to the store and make the test/purchased the unit and have it sent to the land of the Kangaroos...!

PS: Is there only 1 IAP member that have installed this upgrade..?

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 03-09-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
When you contacted your seller, did they confirmed that what your controller was doing was in fact a problem..?
PS: Is there only 1 IAP member that have installed this upgrade..?
George, I didn't even talk with the manager of the store where I bought it (the local Woodcraft). I knew that he'd never seen one and had not opened the box -- he ordered it at my request.

I called the Teknatool customer support phone number directly and spoke with a person who knew the machine, and he said right away this was going to involve sending me a replacement controller.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out I'm the only IAP member who has bought this upgrade motor. They have not been easily available to buy in the USA -- they've been "on back order" from the factory (in China, I believe) for many months. From what I've read online, each time they get a delivery of a few units they are sold out very quickly.

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

George,
It is not in stock at the Rockler or Woodcraft stores in Houston, so I would have to order it.

I'll be happy to do so if needed, but hopefully someone will be able to find one in stock for you.

Edgar
Old 03-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hi George,
I am not close to a store but have no issue at all ordering and testing for you. With the kindness you have shown to me, that would be the least I could do. If nothing better happens, please let me know and we can get the ball rolling.

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads