Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

George, next time I talk to somebody at Teknatool, I will try to remember to ask them if the unit can be simply plugged into 240V without changing anything beyond the plug.

(I'm 99% certain that nothing has to be done.)

Thanks mate,

Can I have a look at the video links you have on the controller..?

Cheers
George

duncsuss

George, next time I talk to somebody at Teknatool, I will try to remember to ask them if the unit can be simply plugged into 240V without changing anything beyond the plug.

(I'm 99% certain that nothing has to be done.)

Thanks mate,

Can I have a look at the video links you have on the controller..?

Cheers
George

Sure -- I'll email the links to you.

Duncan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I reviewed this thread, and as suggested, I was able to test the unit without installing it on my lathe. 2 connectors from the motor to the controller. (And I got an opinion from Magicbob that the motor will be fine in Aussieland).

Sigh... I have the same issues that Duncsuss described:

- The forward/reverse button is very "fussy." I say that because sometimes it changed from forward to reverse on a single push; sometimes it would revert right back to forward; and if you held the button down it usually tracks back and forth.

So, I'll be giving customer support a call tomorrow.

George - This is not an inconvenience, so don't fret!

I'll be back.

duncsuss

That's not good.

At least they have already heard of this problem before -- I've spoken with both Jon Ford and Andrew Sourichanh (I think that's the correct spelling) about it. If they aren't sure, tell them to call up ticket number 1040 in their tracking system, and to look at the video I posted online that shows exactly what happens. (I emailed the link to Andrew last week.)

My replacement should be delivered tomorrow, I have a sinking feeling that I will then be in possession of 2 motors and 3 controllers, none of which work together as they should.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's not good.

At least they have already heard of this problem before -- I've spoken with both Jon Ford and Andrew Sourichanh (I think that's the correct spelling) about it. If they aren't sure, tell them to call up ticket number 1040 in their tracking system, and to look at the video I posted online that shows exactly what happens. (I emailed the link to Andrew last week.)

My replacement should be delivered tomorrow, I have a sinking feeling that I will then be in possession of 2 motors and 3 controllers, none of which work together as they should.

Thank you for the contact names. That will make a difference to get a prompt response.

Against all odds, I'll stay hopeful (until proven different).

Thanks for the feedback Duncan.

PenPal

I will say this 220 volts is still a risk here where I live, the supply company will let the voltage rise to over 250 it sits on 240 volts anytime) under its guarantee in law.By now your 220 looks horrified.

If you really want 415 volt appliances over my way you simply state you are about to instal a heavy using Stove, Airconditioning unit and you will need to balance the load over three phases. (it worked for me) a sparky by trade.

Honestly all the checking etc in the states could be innefective without using converters to start with 50 cycles and 240v single phase or 415 volts three phase.

I do not have a horse in this race but I would beware and be advised in writing by any firm who says what can be done.

Inverters are cheap as a mate was buying direct and fitted 8 in his workshop on mills and drills, metal lathes etc. The joy of the brand you cherish can be turned sour with after market gear. Mark had to wait several months from Vicmarc with probs from his speed controller,he has quite a story to tell.

No such thing as a free lunch mate.

What an inverter does is create two phantom phases using capacitors to acheive three phase.

Anyway good fortune so many people are hanging in there for you George at 82 I dont need any more stress thanks.

Peter.

robutacion

I reviewed this thread, and as suggested, I was able to test the unit without installing it on my lathe. 2 connectors from the motor to the controller. (And I got an opinion from Magicbob that the motor will be fine in Aussieland).

Sigh... I have the same issues that Duncsuss described:

- The forward/reverse button is very "fussy." I say that because sometimes it changed from forward to reverse on a single push; sometimes it would revert right back to forward; and if you held the button down it usually tracks back and forth.

So, I'll be giving customer support a call tomorrow.

George - This is not an inconvenience, so don't fret!

I'll be back.

Oh no...!:frown: but realistically, what were my chances to get one that works as it should...?

Yes, I was afraid this would happen and I'm starting to worry as I really hate to think that I'm being a pain in the a$$ to anyone, particularly to such a special friend such as yourself.

I have to seriously consider of how far I will want to go with this issue, what I mean is, I like to learn from others experiences and in this case, I have Duncan that is going through this very issue (controller problems of the Nova Upgrade), what am I learning from it..?

Well, lots of things, one is that the unit as a set has a problem and its solution from Teknatool is not to be trusted, as they keep sending replacements that have also problems, even if different ones.

Secondly, I have to agree with Peter from Australia on his recent post, and accept that Duncan tests and your test on the unit I asked you to order for me, are not as reliable as to what it will do when plugged to 240V, I have to accept that, as much as I would like this to be a simple thing and without such risks, I would be silly and totally irresponsible not to consider my options, and maybe try to minimise the pain of failure.

I cannot find a single person in Australia that has this upgrade all those I saw, read/saw about were in the USA, the issue of turning the lathe like mine into a variable speed has been discussed dozens of times as far as 2004 in Aussie forums and none have purchased the upgrade because they are not available in Australia, a few that went ahead, have had opted for a new 3 phase motor and a VFD controller to match, I have spent some extra time lately to find anyone in Australia that had one of these upgrades from Nova but, absolutely 0 results.

I have to ask myself, why are these units made in New Zealand and not a single Teknatool distributor wants to have them in stock here in Australia and charge at least AU$1,500 to have one sent but, and as they did with me, they deliberately take a long time to reply to my request, and give the impression that they are not really interested in getting it for you.

In the beginning, I wondered about that but now, I start to understand why...!

So Mark, what are we going to do..?, give the idea one more chance and have the controller replaced after you have the chance to talk to the people Duncan mentioned, wait for the replacement, test it and if not right, send the thing all back for a full refund or now, that we have a defaulted part/unit use that to send it back for full refund..? What do you think Mark..?

I go even further and request that those/all that have been following my Nova upgrade thread, think is the better action to take...?

Let me know, I'm a little lost...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
Mark had to wait several months from Vicmarc with probs from his speed controller,he has quite a story to tell.

Peter.

All I wanted to was to add a magnetic remote switch box to my Vicmarc VL 300, I have wanted one ever since I got clocked in the face with a large chunk of wood that parted company with the rest of the bowl blank, on my old lathe.

I bought the magnetic remote switch box from Vicmarc, I got a sparky to wire it in, switched it on, it would only get 250 RPM, after phone calls to Vicmarc sent another speed pot,
same problem, so for the next couple of months it was try this, try that all to no avail.
Finally the sparky getting pissed off, said send the motor, invertor and the switch back to vicmarc, this cost me over $1000.00 for the switch(188.00) the sparkies bill, freight there and back, and vicmarcs bill.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
George - I just spoke to "Andrew" at Teknatool sales and he is sending me a new unit. Will take 5-7 days to arrive.

Let's see what the next one results in and then we can chat.

Duncan - Thank you for the contact name, it made things pretty easy.

robutacion

Mark had to wait several months from Vicmarc with probs from his speed controller,he has quite a story to tell.

Peter.

All I wanted to was to add a magnetic remote switch box to my Vicmarc VL 300, I have wanted one ever since I got clocked in the face with a large chunk of wood that parted company with the rest of the bowl blank, on my old lathe.

I bought the magnetic remote switch box from Vicmarc, I got a sparky to wire it in, switched it on, it would only get 250 RPM, after phone calls to Vicmarc sent another speed pot,
same problem, so for the next couple of months it was try this, try that all to no avail.
Finally the sparky getting pissed off, said send the motor, invertor and the switch back to vicmarc, this cost me over $1000.00 for the switch(188.00) the sparkies bill, freight there and back, and vicmarcs bill.

You know, there are certain things that we have absolutely no control over, we can have the best of intentions and expectations but in the end, is never a guarantee that we don't endup with our a$$es burnt, and that always hurts.

Cheers
George

robutacion

George - I just spoke to "Andrew" at Teknatool sales and he is sending me a new unit. Will take 5-7 days to arrive.

Let's see what the next one results in and then we can chat.

Duncan - Thank you for the contact name, it made things pretty easy.

Thanks Mark...

It certainly makes a big difference when we have a name/number to refer to when we need to make certain calls, thank you for your efforts. Did you discuss with him any other issues of the Power and if they know why the controllers are failing..?

I also appreciate all the help Duncan has given me/us on this issue, thank's mate.

PS: Duncan, have you tried the third controller yet..?

Cheers
George

duncsuss

I also appreciate all the help Duncan has given me/us on this issue, thank's mate.

You're welcome, George -- I was hoping mine was a unit with a bad program, not the "standard configuration" for them.

The new motor & controller hasn't arrived yet -- UPS (the shipping company) originally said it would be delivered Friday, but the truck didn't reach the nearest distribution depot till Saturday morning. They sent me an email saying it will be delivered today.

-- Duncan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Did you discuss with him any other issues of the Power and if they know why the controllers are failing..?

Cheers
George[/QUOTE]

I did ask if they knew why the controllers are failing. Andrew said this is a newer product, and they will be looking at changes, and that he knew of only mine and Duncan's that were problematic.

I did not really want to inquire about this unit being sent/used in Australia and any power issues.

However, as they may be doing a tweak to the controllers to really fix the problem, it does raise the possibility that you/we may want to send it back for a refund, and wait until a newer version is available. Andrew was very helpful, and I suspect that if they are going to redesign it, he would indicate when the changes are done.

I actually suspect it may be that the button/contacts on the underside of the cover have a "sweet spot" where if pushed exactly on that spot it will work, but if slightly off, it does not make good contact (NO, I am not an electrician). But for $600, we should expect better.

If the second unit is also faulty, this may be a good choice for you to consider.

robutacion

You're welcome, George -- I was hoping mine was a unit with a bad program, not the "standard configuration" for them.

The new motor & controller hasn't arrived yet -- UPS (the shipping company) originally said it would be delivered Friday, but the truck didn't reach the nearest distribution depot till Saturday morning. They sent me an email saying it will be delivered today.

-- Duncan

Thanks Duncan,

Listening to what Mark just said above, it makes me wonder why they request you to send the motor and controller back for replacement, do they have a new motor..? what does the motor has to do with what the controller is doing or not doing...?

I'm certainly looking forwards to see what you receive, any possible differences and improvements.

I find hard to believe that Teknatool is considering in making a better upgrade for the 1624-44 when they have just launched a new variable speed model that supersedes in my view the DVRxp, they would be pushing to have people replacing the 1624-44 models to the variable speed ones that seem to work very well and simple on the controls, about USD$2.500 if I recall correctly, AUD$3,250.00 in today exchange plus freight.

The Australia distributors haven't yet received this new model for sale in Australia and I'm expecting their price to be more close to 4G's than anything else plus freight, off course.

PS: Make sure to try to see any differents in the motor and controller and let us know, please...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Did you discuss with him any other issues of the Power and if they know why the controllers are failing..?

Cheers
George

I did ask if they knew why the controllers are failing. Andrew said this is a newer product, and they will be looking at changes, and that he knew of only mine and Duncan's that were problematic.

I did not really want to inquire about this unit being sent/used in Australia and any power issues.

However, as they may be doing a tweak to the controllers to really fix the problem, it does raise the possibility that you/we may want to send it back for a refund, and wait until a newer version is available. Andrew was very helpful, and I suspect that if they are going to redesign it, he would indicate when the changes are done.

I actually suspect it may be that the button/contacts on the underside of the cover have a "sweet spot" where if pushed exactly on that spot it will work, but if slightly off, it does not make good contact (NO, I am not an electrician). But for $600, we should expect better.

If the second unit is also faulty, this may be a good choice for you to consider.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark,

Thank's for the update...!

I find it very strange that only these 2 upgrade units have the problem, really...??? how many of these did they sold in the USA alone...?

I also don't think that the forwards/reverse button is the only problem with the controller and Duncan has given us the proof of that with his second controller, having the known issue resolved but then, he found another problem with another control button.

Is great that Andrew has been very helpful but he works for Tekantool so, he may not be telling the whole story to protect the company that pays his salary, huh..? That would be only normal.

Did they already ask you to send the controller you have back?

Well, as I also indicated, if the next replacement is also faulty after all the conversations with Andrew that I would expect to have one controller checked by their technicians before sending it back but, I really don't know so, we wait and see, huh...?

The return for a full-refund is certainly a possibility that would be perfectly justified if the replacement controller is also defected.

You are correct, I think is reasonable that we would expect better for USD$600 that in my case will represent a total investment of about AU$1,200 or more, we don't know yet.:eek:

I'm sure that together, we will make the right decision, I'm certainly open to any suggestions...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I will say this 220 volts is still a risk here where I live, the supply company will let the voltage rise to over 250 it sits on 240 volts anytime) under its guarantee in law.By now your 220 looks horrified.

If you really want 415 volt appliances over my way you simply state you are about to instal a heavy using Stove, Airconditioning unit and you will need to balance the load over three phases. (it worked for me) a sparky by trade.

Honestly all the checking etc in the states could be innefective without using converters to start with 50 cycles and 240v single phase or 415 volts three phase.

I do not have a horse in this race but I would beware and be advised in writing by any firm who says what can be done.

Inverters are cheap as a mate was buying direct and fitted 8 in his workshop on mills and drills, metal lathes etc. The joy of the brand you cherish can be turned sour with after market gear. Mark had to wait several months from Vicmarc with probs from his speed controller,he has quite a story to tell.

No such thing as a free lunch mate.

What an inverter does is create two phantom phases using capacitors to acheive three phase.

Anyway good fortune so many people are hanging in there for you George at 82 I dont need any more stress thanks.

Peter.

G'day Peter.

In the old days as kids, we were taught that we need to always listen and respect the older people, the generations have changed and I may have had less problem in have been born around your time or even before that, the values were so very different, then...!

With that said, I always have shown a great respect for your age and person you seem to be from the time I have followed your posts on IAP, at 60 I'm a kid to you and that is OK with me, I may have not always agreed with you but, I have always listened to your wisdom and in this case, I have to agree with you and realise that you know what you are talking about the power issues and that I may be taking a big risk of having my investment to "blow" in my face (sort of speak), in your view there is a small chance that it will work and something that would not take on and that is OK.

There is no definitive decision yet, we working on it and I'm sure you and many other folks will be following this thread with some interest, not because they want to buy one but more to see where all this endup.

I'm addicted to pain and a magnet for troubles, let's see where this one will take me..?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

duncsuss

UPS delivered the replacement motor & controller yesterday, I just assembled the parts and tested it.

The controller has the identical software version to the one that came in the original box (according to the hardware and software version numbers displayed in the Information menu).

It also seems to have the same problem -- most easily visible when you press the Forward/Reverse button and see it immediately begin to flash the display from one to the other rapidly.

(note: I wrote "most easily visible" -- it is NOT the only button that behaves this way, it's just the easiest one to test and show the controller is bad)

This is the third unit (motor plus controller) like this -- I have two of them, Mark has one.

I will be talking to folks in customer support today.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
UPS delivered the replacement motor & controller yesterday, I just assembled the parts and tested it.

The controller has the identical software version to the one that came in the original box (according to the hardware and software version numbers displayed in the Information menu).

It also seems to have the same problem -- most easily visible when you press the Forward/Reverse button and see it immediately begin to flash the display from one to the other rapidly.

(note: I wrote "most easily visible" -- it is NOT the only button that behaves this way, it's just the easiest one to test and show the controller is bad)

This is the third unit (motor plus controller) like this -- I have two of them, Mark has one.

This is the info for the one I have:

ContBoard: 8.21C

HMI Board: p2.00f

And, it was hard to get to the info screen as the button kept signaling back and forth.

duncsuss

This is the info for the one I have:

ContBoard: 8.21C

HMI Board: p2.00f

And, it was hard to get to the info screen as the button kept signaling back and forth.
Same here.

randyrls

George; There are solutions that allow a single phase voltage supply to create a 3 phase output. Small Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) do this commonly. It then connects to a 3 phase motor. The current drawn by the VFD is about 3 times what a true three phase would draw. Up to about 1HP or so it is fairly inexpensive, but gets much more expensive in larger HP ratings.

robutacion

Oh boy, that doesn't smell, it stinks...!:mad:

If I recall correctly, you have just received your third controller + the one of mine at Marks place, makes 4 faulty controllers.

Is most interesting to me that your second controller did seem to have no issue with the forward/reverse button while the other 3, including mine/Mark's show problems with that button.

It does look to me that, if replacement is all that is requested to Teknatool and they don't seem to have any issues with sending more stuff without asking for the faulty pieces/parts first, if this is all covered by them (shipping etc,) as it should, they are certainly losing money, losing distributors that don't want to get involved with constant customer complaints, losing customers as they will want their money back and they damage their name so, I find hard to believe that didn't know of the issue, in fact, they seem to be sending their stock away hoping that one will work right.

I know that if wasn't for Duncan that happens to have some knowledge of these electronic issues and be also in the process of upgrading his same lathe as mine, Mark would have sent the upgrade to me already and I would be installing it and wonder why that button doesn't work right.

For me, I would have to consider if I would want to send the controller back to Mark and have Mark do all the same leg work you have done to get replacements done and then sent to me the only problem is that, return trip for that controller would cost me about AU$200.00, and another $200 for every replacement after that, right...? WRONG...! I wouldn't be doing that so, I would have to live with the issue of fighting to have the controller making the motor turn the direction I want/need, and I frankly have to ask, those few guys that I saw on YouTube installing their Nova 1624-44 variable speed upgrade kit, did they had also issues and had the controllers replaced until one would work or, they are still today fighting with the damn button or, they were so lucky that their controllers work perfectly...???

I don't have the answer but guess what, I'm going to their YouTube pages and I'm going to ask the question, it will be interesting to see what they have to say, if they haven't said it yet and I didn't read it, will see...!

I also feel sorry for Mark and the position I put him into, I did not have any intention to become a pain in the a$$...!

Cheers
George

duncsuss

I just spoke with Andrew at customer support. They'll have to talk among themselves about this, and he promised he'll get back in touch later today.

(I reminded him to show the other folks the video clip, which demonstrates the issue better than I can describe it in words.)

robutacion

George; There are solutions that allow a single phase voltage supply to create a 3 phase output. Small Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) do this commonly. It then connects to a 3 phase motor. The current drawn by the VFD is about 3 times what a true three phase would draw. Up to about 1HP or so it is fairly inexpensive, but gets much more expensive in larger HP ratings.

Hi Randy,

Thank you for your input...!

Since all this saga has started, I started searching into the VDF and 3 phase motors again and I'm amazed of the amount of info and even the VFD'S and motors used in making a single phase machine operate with a variable speed system, I have looked into this exact situation some 5 or 6 years ago and I didn't find that much and or systems that are now pretty much made to solve the single phase lack of variable speed control.

With that said, I have also read constantly that, those making those modifications do suggest that you double or triple the HP you had originally in the single phase motor otherwise, you won't have much torque at low speeds, so I read...!

As this saga evolves, the more convinced I have become of the option to return the original kit Mark has received and stop Mark from wasting more of his time. For the AU$1,200 or more, the unit will endup costing me (I didn't expect that much), I'm sure I can, with the extra info and parts I have available to me now, I can get a VFD and motor to suit my needs and pay for an electrician that lives a few house away from me, to play with the connections while I make sure I get the correct motor with the correct shaft size to fit the Nova pulley, a motor with an identical mounting system (maybe have to drill new holes on the Nova motor mount) the correct VFD for the motor or vice versa and the correct cable needed, I may even get the VFD extention cord so that I can mount the controls wherever I want (magnet).

Food for thought...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

I just spoke with Andrew at customer support. They'll have to talk among themselves about this, and he promised he'll get back in touch later today.

(I reminded him to show the other folks the video clip, which demonstrates the issue better than I can describe it in words.)

Hi Duncan'

Thanks for the update...!

I don't think they have a quick solution, is it software or hardware, either way, they will not have a complete new controller available overnight or in a dozen overnights, you may be willing to wait as you are already very deep into it and you have the benefit to be in the USA where doesn't cost you any more than the $599 you paid for it and if I was in your position, and not be in a hurry, I would probably wait until the have the problem resorved but, I'm not in your situation/position and I'm starting to realise that, the investment I have to make is far too much to be playing with and thanks to you, I'm happy to ask Mark to send it all back. I believe he have already requested the controller replacement and that is OK, after all this what chances do I have that he receives a controller that works perfectly, there is, the 2 know button issues as you identified, the chances are Ziltch/nada/0).

Like I said, I was so lucky that you were working on this issue and made me aware of the problems that I was totally unaware of and save me a lot of money and grief, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Curly

At this point I think you should hold off returning the motors or controllers until asked. They may decide to refund the monies and tell you guys not to bother returning the units. If they do you can use the motor with an off the shelf VFD. The motor is going to be basically the same as any other Delta wound 3 phase motor and would only need to figure out which wires to use to make the connections. If they ask for them back they will likely pay for return shipping.

duncsuss

If they do you can use the motor with an off the shelf VFD. The motor is going to be basically the same as any other Delta wound 3 phase motor

That would be true were this a 3 phase motor, but it isn't.

It's a variable reluctance motor (sometimes called a switched reluctance motor).

(edit: My apologies for the very cranky first version of this post. This is beginning to wear on my patience, but that's no excuse for snapping at you, Pete.)

Last edited:

duncsuss

Like I said, I was so lucky that you were working on this issue and made me aware of the problems that I was totally unaware of and save me a lot of money and grief, thank you...!

I'm glad that I noticed your post before Mark had shipped it to you.

I will update this thread with more information as I get it.

duncsuss

I just got off the phone with Jon Ford.

He first thought the problem was affecting just my unit, but we've agreed that it's more likely it impacts several machines (if not all of them) in this batch.

He's going to get folks in development/engineering involved at this point. I've offered to give whatever assistance I can (for example, shoot video of the problems I'm seeing, in case they can't replicate them).

PenPal

OK I am over here and really have a heap of good reasons to keep out of this ,recived my schedules from my specialist re ops and treatments in this and future weeks.

Here is my two bobs worth, yesterday I downloaded the detailed parts diagram etc for this lathe.

As I see it from Georges need is he wants variable speed. Your lathe you can put what you choose in a motor and controller.
Who makes the motor? Identify the end mount before it is fitted to the plate mount.
If these are known there will be a three phase motor with that end configuration or can be adapted.

If not the housing can be modified after all it simply is a motor with a pulley on it. To use the existing pulley from the existing motor should not be rocket science, if not sleeves are easy to make for the pulley for instance.

Sorry I have not direct access to the motor supplier I used for my VL150 but anyone can read the VFD control info on my pics enclosed before. There are huge numbers of cheaper controllers around.

No amount of discussion will ever convince me the maker of this lathe is cooperating with George here in Australia, this is obvious to me.

Later I will ask around my mates but please details from George and others of the full details of the motor including shaft size. I do like comparing Apples with Apples.

Anything purchased in country is preferable in my opinion, to avoid freight and warranty complications. This exercise has widened to problems in the Technatool upgrade anyway..

Peter.

Last edited:

robutacion

If they do you can use the motor with an off the shelf VFD. The motor is going to be basically the same as any other Delta wound 3 phase motor

That would be true were this a 3 phase motor, but it isn't.

It's a variable reluctance motor (sometimes called a switched reluctance motor).

(edit: My apologies for the very cranky first version of this post. This is beginning to wear on my patience, but that's no excuse for snapping at you, Pete.)

G'day Duncan,

I don't think that anyone following this "saga" will disagree with your feelings and I really wonder what Teknatool is going to do next but I feel for you...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

My Nova motor info

OK I am over here and really have a heap of good reasons to keep out of this ,recived my schedules from my specialist re ops and treatments in this and future weeks.

Here is my two bobs worth, yesterday I downloaded the detailed parts diagram etc for this lathe.

As I see it from Georges need is he wants variable speed. Your lathe you can put what you choose in a motor and controller.
Who makes the motor? Identify the end mount before it is fitted to the plate mount.
If these are known there will be a three phase motor with that end configuration or can be adapted.

If not the housing can be modified after all it simply is a motor with a pulley on it. To use the existing pulley from the existing motor should not be rocket science, if not sleeves are easy to make for the pulley for instance.

Sorry I have not direct access to the motor supplier I used for my VL150 but anyone can read the VFD control info on my pics enclosed before. There are huge numbers of cheaper controllers around.

No amount of discussion will ever convince me the maker of this lathe is cooperating with George here in Australia, this is obvious to me.

Later I will ask around my mates but please details from George and others of the full details of the motor including shaft size. I do like comparing Apples with Apples.

Anything purchased in country is preferable in my opinion, to avoid freight and warranty complications. This exercise has widened to problems in the Technatool upgrade anyway..

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I had to remove the pulley to be able to give my motor shaft size, according to Teknatool there are 3 possible sizes depending upon the machine age, mine is about 8 years +.

I got the motor out and checked everywhere for any other info, the only thing that I could see apart from the sticker I attached on this post, was a small sticker with the motor number I believe, a series of 6 numbers, I think..!

I took measurements of the shaft and the only thing I need to do now is to remove the motor mount and get a pic where I will put all the measurements, that will help to get the right motor or one what will require a minimum of alterations.

See bellow and let me know if you require anything else.

PS: the wiring diagram shown is inside on the control box.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 165
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 189

Curly

Duncan I hadn't realized you had changed your post. I took no offence to the original, so don't sweat it. My respect for you remains unshaken.

duncsuss

It's been a couple of months and I'm pleased to report that the 1624 motor upgrade now works to my satisfaction.

At one point I genuinely considered just shipping the whole thing back to them, but when I shared this perspective another person at Nova/Teknatools joined the conversation and assured me that a new version of the controller program was close to release and that he believed it would address my issues.

I offered to install the controller program myself if this is something that doesn't require special equipment and/or years of training. They emailed me the update itself and the Windows program used to install new code into the controller, and mailed me the cable that plugs onto pins on the circuit board.

This version of the controller code (version p2.10c) has so far worked very well:

1) there's a delay between touching the Forward/Reverse button, so I can get my finger off before it starts flipping back and forth;

2) the F1 - F2 - F3 - F4 preset speed keys still require a confirmation click, but since each key has multiple presets it does make some sense to me. The F1 key rotates through presets #1 - #5 - #9; the F2 key rotates through presets #2 - #6 - #9; etc. (It would not be good to change speed to 2400rpm when you thought you were changing to 500rpm.)

3) in version p2.10a there was a display bug, when the lathe was running if you pressed one of the F-keys the "speed you are about to change to" did not display so asking for a confirmation was like asking you to guess the next speed. Version p2.10c has fixed this problem.

I'm glad that I had the patience to wait for this to be fixed -- the way it's working now is *so* much easier to use than stopping the lathe to move the belt to a different pulley.

Of course I wish it had not taken so long to get here, but finally -- it's working.

robutacion

Oh man, am I ever glad with your news and pleased that Tecknatool has taken the issue seriously and got the program changed.

You said that they sent you all you required to make the upgrade yourself but I wonder what will happen to the units sold recently and the units in stock still with the old program, is it something that a "common" person is able to do or the VFD's have to be sent back for replacement/updating/upgrading, do you know...?

I have no doubt of how much easier is to use the lathe now, you being in the USA make the upgrade value a worthwhile investment the one thing I've learn with my attempt was that the shipping to Australia makes the whole thing a very expensive exercise and that has put me off.

I'm yet to do anything about the variable speed system for my lathe apart from the Nova one, I have been concentrated on other stuff and I've touched the lathe in a long time, I will soon but at the moment I can do without the messing about with the VS stuff.

I'm glad for you...!

Cheers
George

duncsuss

Thanks, George!

It was too expensive for me live with it not working the way it should, so I'm relieved that it has been fixed. For you, with the extra cost of shipping and the possibility of it not being supported locally, it would have been a huge headache.

I don't know what will happen (or has happened) with the other units. The one which Mark ordered had the same version of the controller program as the two units I got direct from Nova/Teknatool, so it's not a huge leap to predict that they were all that way when they were first boxed up for shipping.

Other people must have bought them (besides just me and Mark), maybe Nova/Teknatool have instructed their dealers to contact all purchasers with a "recall" notice. I hope they are doing something to make it right for them.

Installing the new controller program was not complicated: 4 screws hold the metal cover to the heatsink. It pulls away a couple of inches, just enough to arrange it so you can get the cable plugged onto the pins on the circuit board -- so long as you don't have fat fingers, there is not much room there and it took me a few minutes to get it lined up just right.

The Windows program installed easily onto my laptop, and using it to upload the new version of the controller code (through the cable) was very simple.

But I've been doing this kind of thing for 40 years, people who don't have a background in electronic engineering or computer build & repair might find it more challenging.

Top Bottom