Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...! - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Product Testing & Review > Power Tools & Equipment
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Question Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...!

Hi folks,

I have had my Nova 1624-44 for about 9 or so years and at the time I paid AU$1,750.00 while the Nova DVR XP was just over AU$3,000.00 and while I would have preferred it a lot more, I could afford it even on a payment agreement such what I has given for the 1624-44

Through the years, I knew that my opinion wouldn't change and since then, I always considered the Nova DVR XP the best lathe to have, I never liked to change belts, those feelings have only worsen so, I have always looked for a way to make it with variable speed not costing me a fortune but the options I saw then didn't excite me much.

I have become aware of the Nova head upgrade for the 1624-44 some time ago and when I requested a price at my local Carbatec (Nova distributor) supplier, I was told that would cost AU$1,500.00 and that it was already obsolete and that would be almost impossible to get.

Now, I went to the Teknatool web-site and I see them under lathe accessories, the price is USD$599.00 which means AU$658.00 and this is withing my budget plus the shipping off-course that I would expect to be about AU$100.00 for being quite heavy but, if it fits in a large flat rate box, it would cost me less than 100 bucks, I reckon.

I contacted this USA web-site and they reply by saying that I have Nova distributors in Australia and went as far as provide me with their state and web-address, including the Adelaide store that I normally use, I already had that info and that was not what I wanted from them.

Carbatec doesn't seem interested in dealing with the issue and I don't want to pay twice the money it will cost me to get it from the States.

Searching a little further, I found also Rockler to have it advertised for the same $599.00 is very interesting that when I first open their web-site, the first thing that pop-up at the top of the page was they stating that they ship to Australia.

So, I proceeded to make the order but when it went through the checkout process, it tells me that "this item can not be shipped to Australia"

I have sent them an email asking why they say that they ship to Australia and then, state that the item can not be shipped to Australia when I try to make the order...!

I'm still waiting for a reply.

So the question is, is any of you guys near enough either Rockler or Teknatool and any other store that sells Nova stuff and check them out to see if they have this item in stock and enquiry about the possibility to ship to Australia?

If any of them have one in store but will not ship to Australia, I may have to ask that someone buys it for me and ship it to me, I will Paypal the total costs to you before any purchase is made, if that is what you prefer, either way, I had to resort to this method a lot of times in the past and I will do it again and or any time that I feel pushed to do it, there is a lot of money to be saved this way, and saving money is what I'm all about...!

Anyone for the take..?

PS: Should I have to say that, this person will be well compensated with blanks from my stables..?

OK, this is what I'm after;

NOVA DVR

DVR Upgrade Package for Nova 1624 Lathes | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Thank you,

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 03-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just a small correction at the cost of this Head upgrade, I have the cost in USD dollars correct but I stuffed up the currency conversion, the amount in Oz money is AU$792.00, sorry...!

Cheers
George

Old 03-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 292

G'Day Mate:

I will be passing a small Rockler store in about 1 hr as I am checking on my Mom. I will inquire. There is also a LARGE new Rockler store in Chicago that I can check with; it is close to where my 2 sons live, and I/wife will be going to Chicago next month. I'll check with them.

I'll PM you later tonight with what I find out.

Cheers, Mark
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
G'Day Mate:

I will be passing a small Rockler store in about 1 hr as I am checking on my Mom. I will inquire. There is also a LARGE new Rockler store in Chicago that I can check with; it is close to where my 2 sons live, and I/wife will be going to Chicago next month. I'll check with them.

I'll PM you later tonight with what I find out.

Cheers, Mark
Wow Mark, you are quick, aren't you..?

I don't want to impose on you my friend, that is one of the reasons I made the public/IAP rooms request and I didn't know if any of those places were within reach to you but, I would be most thankful if you make those enquiries for me and let me know what you find.

I have a fair amount of work to do on my lathe and I really struggle to reach for the constant belt changes, where the lathe is, I have little room to work the locking lever and see the correct belt position, I have already destroyed a number of good belts because they weren't running in the grooves correctly, sometimes, the belt would be only of half of the pulley so, I need to change that nightmare, for me anyway...!

Some people do claim that they rarely change the speeds of their lathe and use mainly a medium speed for everything, I find that quite difficult to do if you use the lathe for many types of turnings, materials in between cutting, sanding, engraving, texturing, drilling, etc, etc...!

I wish that was a more economical way to make my lathe be VS, the upgrade in question is not the ideal option for VS systems but compared to the other variable speed lathes out there, including the Nova DVR XP which is exactly the same frame and accessories as the Nova 1624-44, the the head is different, the cost of it in Australia is well over AU$4,000.00 now.

Interestingly, Nova has a new model that is not yet available in Australia, the Nova 1644 Galaxi at about USD$2,500.00 I think, that will bring it to identical cost as the DVR XP, again, it looks great and I believe the head is better than the ones on the DVR, the speed range is between 100 and 5,000 RPM and the computer settings seem to be a lot easier to work with than the DVR.

I have a good lathe, I don't need anything bigger I'm just fed-up with constant belt changes...!

Cheers
George

Last edited by robutacion; 03-08-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

I will also check our local Rockler & Woodcraft stores, George.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Something to consider before dropping your hard earned money is power requirements. Here in North America it's 120/240 V 60Hz. I know in Europe it's 220V 50 Hz. Don't know what it is in Australia. Most things run just fine with 50Hz. when designed for 60 Hz. but some run hotter So it might be a good idea to verify before spending the money. Hope it works out for you George I know I really appreciated the variable speed when I upgraded my lathe from a midi belt changer to a full size with variable speed.
http://www.undergroundwoodworking.ca
Rick_G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Called Rockler's 800 number and she said it was in stock @ $599.00. Said it could not be shipped to Australia only to the continuous 48 states. Hope this helps.

Robert
Simi Valley CA
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I will be happy to order what you need and ship it to Aussie Land for you. You are the best and deserve any help you need. I will help in any way possible.

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I bought the upgrade motor and installed it 2 weeks ago. There is a problem with the controller unit on mine and Nova customer support have sent me a replacement (which should be arriving on Friday).

Be careful -- if you get a bad controller unit like mine it might be very difficult to get a replacement.

I recommend you find somebody in the USA who owns a 1624 and is willing to fit the upgrade motor and test-drive it for you before it gets shipped to Australia.

duncsuss is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
I bought the upgrade motor and installed it 2 weeks ago. There is a problem with the controller unit on mine and Nova customer support have sent me a replacement (which should be arriving on Friday).

Be careful -- if you get a bad controller unit like mine it might be very difficult to get a replacement.

I recommend you find somebody in the USA who owns a 1624 and is willing to fit the upgrade motor and test-drive it for you before it gets shipped to Australia.
Well, I now know who has a 1624-44you...!

You would also be in the right position to test it for me, aren't you...?

On the other hand, what seems to be the problem with the controller..? there is no reason in my view to test the unit as they are and not installed, the motor and controller have all its connections to plug into the power and test the controller, being installed in the lathe does not change anything so, if I we know what to look for, there is no reason why the person that will endup grabbing one of these for me to get it out of the box and request to have it plugged into the power and follow the test you will suggest to verify if the controller is working OK or not, doesn't that make sense to you...?

Explain is detail please what needs to be done to test the controller...!

Cheers
George

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads