Jet or Delta?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Okay - so in my quest to get a lathe, the bar has finally been raised to one of the two. I've sold a couple more pens and now I can afford one.

Which one should I get?
I'll ONLY be turning pens. Kits and eventually custom kitless.

From what I've read the Delta is better - but at a slightly higher price - would I need the extra power?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I had a Jet 1014 for several years and made hundreds of pens with it. Got the Delta 46-460 and it is a considerably better machine. Heavier, smoother, more accurate and at 1 horsepower - twice the power of the Jet. Its motor runs much cooler, too.

Either machine will allow you to make fine pens. The Delta is a superior machine.

watch_art

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking after all the reading I've done. Just hoping for a couple of good opinions to help me out here at the final stretch.

Now to find a Delta for sale.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have several Jet minis. Variable, non-variable, nice consistent lathe with a switch that goes bad.

I have recently (about a year) gotten a "lightly used" Delta. Variable, nice consistent lathe with NO switch problems. I prefer the positioning of the controls on the Delta.

But I have nothing bad to say about either company. You are likely to be happy with either lathe----so, go to work on the salesman and see what you can get "thrown in".

PenMan1

I have both of these lathes and both are fine pieces of equipment.

I prefer the Jet 1014VSI for drilling, as I think the tailpiece lock is easier to manipulate for drilling.

I prefer the Delta for turning, as it much smoother running, THE MOTOR IS MUCH BETTER and the Delta's size opens up more possibilities other than pens,short spindles and 8 inch bowls.

Whichever one of these you finally decide to buy, Delta of Jet, I think that variable speed control and indexing options are essential.

Last edited:

DSallee

As I mentioned in my prior post of yours, I'm interested in both also, or was anyways... After doing my research, I'm gonna go with the Delta. That is if I can muster up the funds for it ;-)

PenMan1

I have several Jet minis. Variable, non-variable, nice consistent lathe with a switch that goes bad.

I have recently (about a year) gotten a "lightly used" Delta. Variable, nice consistent lathe with NO switch problems. I prefer the positioning of the controls on the Delta.

But I have nothing bad to say about either company. You are likely to be happy with either lathe----so, go to work on the salesman and see what you can get "thrown in".

ROTFLMAO!

For us guys that started with Jet, the Delta controls are just plain "strange". I keep losing my knock out tool!:biggrin:

PenMan1

One other thing I like about the Delta is the ability to reverse the motor direction for sanding.

This CAN be accomplished with the Jet simply by replacing the SPST switch with a SPDT switch and a little wiring. BUT this creates a hazard of "going past the off position and into reverse" while the motor is still spinning. This is not only a safety hazard, but also hard on the motor.

PenMan1

Just google Delta 46-460 rebate. Several places have the PDF form on thier websites.

You have until sometime in January to submit it, but your invoice must be prior to Dec. 31.

Edit:
Here ya go:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22014
Amazon had this lathe for $539 and free shipping, BEFORE the $50 rebate, but I'm not sure if that is still running after Christmas!

Last edited:

DSallee

As I mentioned in my prior post of yours, I'm interested in both also, or was anyways... After doing my research, I'm gonna go with the Delta. That is if I can muster up the funds for it ;-)

HURRY! The $50 rebate runs out on December 31, 2011!

Hey Andy.... Yea I know... Even with the discount, can't quit get the funds... :crying:

Oh well, will keep my eyes open for another deal.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have owned several lathe including the Delta, the Jet, and the Rikons and in my shop I have given up on the Jets due to a problem I had with their customer service and the small problems I had with their machines that took forever to be resolved. I have had a couple minor issues with one of my Rikons(I have owned 5 and still have 3) and they took care of it overnight for me. My Delta has become a dedicated buffer for my shop but is okay as far as I am concerned and would turn on it if I needed to..

I have owned the Delta 46 460, along with many other turners here. since I can only compare it to a penn state lathe, my opinion might not be as well backed up.
1. the motor is very silent, which yells quality to me.
2. the ways are really nice. I have seen reviews were the quality of the bed is less than average, but from that time they must have fixed it, because mine is just as smooth as any other lathes.
3. the belt change on the delta is really easy, although I don't do it all that often, for my lathe is variable speed.

As far as customer service goes, I think anything could be better than that which I received from PSI. they practically sent enough parts to make a second lathe. I must have gotten a dud, when I really just wanted to return it.

Jehan

Lathe preference

Okay - so in my quest to get a lathe, the bar has finally been raised to one of the two. I've sold a couple more pens and now I can afford one.

Which one should I get?
I'll ONLY be turning pens. Kits and eventually custom kitless.

From what I've read the Delta is better - but at a slightly higher price - would I need the extra power?

Thanks!

I am new at this but within the span of a few months I have acquired 2 lathes. My first one sold in north america under many a trade name is a Craftex. I have also acquired a variable speed Delta which is far superior in all respect except PARTS AVAILABILITY and SERVICE. Even my seller is unable to source the parts from Delta . Delta's parts supply sub contractor does not deliver outside the USA. Even then, most common parts are either not available, low stocked and very expensive. Yet the Delta's is so much better that I plan to get a second one to replace my Craftex. The Delta, simply put is more powerful, quieter, more versatile and accurate. The fit and finish and the torquay motor are simply in a class of their own but so is the price.
jb

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I checked Amazon, where I bought my Delta, and the price is less then Rockler with free shipping. I must have the first generation as the power switch on mine sits flush with the housing rather than a rocker style shown.
I've had ALOT of different lathes in the past 1.5 years. I tried Jet, Rikon, Delta and I think one off brand. The Delta is by far my best lathe and is the goto lathe for me. I have a VS Rikon that I mainly use for drilling and buffing on as the speed goes slower than the Delta.
If you can try them out, this is best so you can tell what works for you. I haven't heard any negatives about the Delta other than parts availability. Better hurry if you want the Delta as it's being discontinued from what I heard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom